Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

People Who Don't Watch Movies

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

I agree with the posters who said the non book readers and people who don't listen to music are weirder! How can you not like music? Totally addicted to the shtuff!

How have some people never read a book? :O My life would be incomplete without a good dose of fantasy to read. Can't wait to go on holidays to catch up on my reading. ^___^

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Shawshank was ok, they cut so much out of the novella though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

o1s1n wrote: »
    Is there a particular reason as to why?

Just curiosity by the way, as I find it incredibly odd!

'Cos I just don't like watching that many films, to be honest.

I would sit down and watch Dumb and Dumber or Kingpin or anything like Meet the Parents etc, cos I like comedy but when it comes to thrillers/noir/horror/romance, they're just not my bag.

I've started watching a lot more in the last two years than ever and for the first time in SEVEN years, I'm going to the cinema next week!

Albeit to see that Mrs Brown shoite but OH wants to go and I said I'd accompany him. But still!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

Watched 6 on the list also hate the cinema cant for the life of me know why you would want to sit in cinema beside some smelly person munching through a mountain of popcorn n slurping on coke and end up with a numb arse from the most uncomfortable seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Do you trust them?

I'm in the pub, just me and the old farmer at the top of the brae with the gammy knee, football is over and Beverley Hills Cop III comes on. What does the barman do? Turns off the telly, just as me and the oul lad were settling in to a bit of Eddie Murphy before we are fcuked out. I love the barman to bits, but he has never watched a film in his life, no Die Hard, no Gone With The Wind, no Godfather.

He's a sound enough fella at the same time, so maybe he's right and I'm wrong. Do you know anyone doesn't like films? Are they. . .normal enough?

Wasn't Beverly Hills 3 on at 11:40 last night and last call is 11: 10 on a weeknight.
    I doubt he didn't like movies, he was just giving yourself and the farmer a hint to shag off home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

I usually go through a movie a night, if its a crappy movie i might just use it as background noise when i'm playing computer games or something.

I'd rather throw a movie on than music if i was doing something round the house

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Yeah, I dont know anyone who doesnt like any movies at all per se, but I do have a mate who is extremely fussy about what movies she watches, she has the cineworld card and still wouldnt go see a lot of things, would rather see Smurfs, the other woman or Chipmunks movie again and again than see something else, and for an avid girlie movie lover imho shes NEVER seen the actual classics of this genre like "Clueless" etc, probably too "old" movies :rolleyes:

Music shes not all bad on, except for our hugely different musical tastes!, Books, she doesnt read them apparrantly!

Now this could be me as I am a completely huge movie fan, will watch mostly anything, and have a LoT of favourites :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

If not watching movies is the metric for measuring trustworthiness I must be one of the most untrustworthy people around!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

2 things

1 Who the **** would watch a film in a pub, let alone half a film?
    Bars are for drinking / talking shíte. I don't even like to watch sport there. Personally the only thing I like to watch in a bar is the time (or the occasional sexy bum) pass by.
    2 What does top of the brae mean? Is it a typo?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I know a fella:
    - Never watched any Star Wars film
    - Never seen BTTF trilogy
    - Never seen any James Cameron movie
    - Only seen 1 Spielberg movie
    - Never seen any Hitchcock movie
    - Only seen one Disney film

Plenty more I could list, we spent half a day figuring out what he actually did watch.

He's a bit on the mental side when you chat to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

2 things

1 Who the **** would watch a film in a pub, let alone half a film?
    Bars are for drinking / talking shíte. I don't even like to watch sport there. Personally the only thing I like to watch in a bar is the time (or the occasional sexy bum) pass by.
    2 What does top of the brae mean? Is it a typo?

Top of the hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

I know a fella:
    - Never watched any Star Wars film
    - Never seen BTTF trilogy
    - Never seen any James Cameron movie
    - Only seen 1 Spielberg movie
    - Never seen any Hitchcock movie
    - Only seen one Disney film

Plenty more I could list, we spent half a day figuring out what he actually did watch.

He's a bit on the mental side when you chat to him.

I haven't seen any of the films on that list except for more than one Disney movie. Movies just aren't a part of my everyday reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,406 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

fussyonion wrote: »

Albeit to see that Mrs Brown shoite but OH wants to go and I said I'd accompany him. But still!!

God help you! - I don't think this is going to do anything to help change your opinion on film :D
    caustic 1 wrote: »
    Watched 6 on the list also hate the cinema cant for the life of me know why you would want to sit in cinema beside some smelly person munching through a mountain of popcorn in slurping on coke and end up with a numb arse from the most uncomfortable seats.

It's the whole 'shared experience' thing I guess. Same reason folks enjoy concerts. It's an event.

There's also something excellent about seeing a film (especially if it's one you love) on a giant screen with proper surround sound.

I do get you on the seats though. I went to see The Wind Rises in The Lighthouse a couple of weeks ago and my legs and back were in bits from the crappy leg room. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭flutered

Do you trust them?

I'm in the pub, just me and the old farmer at the top of the brae with the gammy knee, football is over and Beverley Hills Cop III comes on. What does the barman do? Turns off the telly, just as me and the oul lad were settling in to a bit of Eddie Murphy before we are fcuked out. I love the barman to bits, but he has never watched a film in his life, no Die Hard, no Gone With The Wind, no Godfather.

He's a sound enough fella at the same time, so maybe he's right and I'm wrong. Do you know anyone doesn't like films? Are they. . .normal enough?
    so you wanted to show the boss who was the boss, then you got found out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

caustic 1 wrote: »
    Watched 6 on the list also hate the cinema cant for the life of me know why you would want to sit in cinema beside some smelly person munching through a mountain of popcorn n slurping on coke and end up with a numb arse from the most uncomfortable seats.
    You're clearly going to the wrong cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

I've never seen The Godfather, Dirty Dancing, Forrest Gump, Die Hard, any James Bond...in fact, name a "classic" film and I bet I haven't seen it.

I envy you ...................So many films that I wish I was sitting down to watch for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

quickbeam wrote: »
    One's I've not seen are:
    Pink Flamingos
    Aguire
    Cabaret
    Princess Mononoke
    This Sporting Life
    Fanny and Alexander
    Touch of Evil

Well I guess that's your loss. Studio Ghiblie movies have ruined movies for me now. They are just too good compared to their western Disney-Pixar/Dreamworks counterparts.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

What I don't get is people who have pretty much zero social lives yet tell you,"I don't have time to watch a movie." I work with a guy like that,how hard is it to find 2 hours on a Friday or Saturday night to relax with a movie,although usually I get asked on a Monday,"did you see such & such on The Late Late?

I was talking about The Wolf of Wall Street recently and was asked,"how the fook did you get 3 hours to sit & watch a movie"? Simple,kids go to bed so stick on the movie and look at it,beats watching X factor or some inane talk show.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Do you trust them?

What were yourself and the old farmer doing with a bra? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Sam Kade wrote: »
    What were yourself and the old farmer doing with a bra? :eek:

Young man, if you are having diffuculty distinguishing a bra from a brae then I suggest you get yourself seen about. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭VONSHIRACH

I met a German chap recently. Maybe the whole Hollywood movie industry is irrelevant for a lot of people. He didn't know who Michael Fassbender is, never heard of him in fact! Even more surprising was that he had no idea who Diane Kruger is.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1055413/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2668699/Diane-Kruger-flashes-hint-toned-midriff-cropped-polka-dot-The-Bridge-season-two-premiere.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I would instantly be put off by anyone who doesn't either watch films, listen to music or read books.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Young man, if you are having diffuculty distinguishing a bra from a brae then I suggest you get yourself seen about. :)
    Sorry old man it was meant as a joke :(

Nope. Nor The Terminator, Robocop.
    From this list, I've seen two: Wizard of Oz and Up.

http://www.film4.com/special-features/top-lists/top-50-films-to-see-before-you-die

Four more and I can die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Apex Predator

Tony EH wrote: »
    I would instantly be put off by anyone who doesn't either watch films, listen to music or read books.

Buh x factor duz be on de telly n all dah!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

bluewolf wrote: »
    Shawshank was ok, they cut so much out of the novella though

It was long enough as it was! The bloody thing never seemed to end.

I find I have very little time to watch a full film in one sitting, but I binge on TV. Haven't read a book in a while either and can't remember the last time I played a computer game all the way through.

Nobody would find it weird, though, if I said I didn't play computer games.

Buh x factor duz be on de telly n all dah!

*Shudder*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I love movies but haven't seen the classics either. I like the trashy ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

I love movies but haven't seen the classics either. I like the trashy ones!

trashy as in movies that try to be good but aren't or the syfy ones?

Syfy ones are awesome, Titanic 2, Megafault, Megashark vs Giant Octopus, Sharknado, Stonado, Nazis at the center of the earth.

Classics!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I for one find if a Movies over 2.5 hours long I'm less likely to watch it.
    This might be down to my attention span, my interests or the types of movies I watch.
    But if I find out a movie is 3 hours long, I'm immediately put off the idea, ESPECIALLY in regards to seeing it in the cinema.

I've found this to be the case with a lot more films recently.
    I went on a bit of an 80s binge of movies about a year ago with my fiancé.
    85 minutes.... and the whole ****ing story is told start-middle-end.

I love the LOTR but even I get bored watching the Hobbit.
    Wolf of Wall Street in the cinema you say? 3+ hours is it? **** that.

When I sit down on a Friday/Saturday now to watch a film, I'll generally narrow it down to 2 with some input from my missus. And usually the deciding factor is run-length.

Now before you all get fire and brimstone here's some things i'm NOT SAYING:
    "Long Movies are bad"
    "I don't have time to watch long movies"

I just find after 2 and 1/4 hours my interest/excitement/patience is gone

Advertisement