Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

how many days do i have to return goods

• 13-12-2012 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I purchased a product online and received it yesterday. It is for a christmas present. when I received the product there is nothing wrong with it but not exactly as I imagined....

The returns policy states....

Return or exchanging an item
    If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, you can simply return the item or items to us in their original condition* within 7 days of receipt.

The thing is that I am going to let the other half decide... I thought there was a 28 day return policy on most items - can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

When an item is bought through distance selling (the internet). The minimum amount of time for a return is 7 days after receipt, this seems to be what they are offering. There is no obligation on them to offer 28 days, even though this is what most shops offer.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/distance_selling.html
    Cooling-off period
    Consumers are entitled to a cooling-off period of 7 days, which begins on the day that they receive the product. In the case of a service, the cooling-off period begins on the day the contract for distance selling was concluded or the day written confirmation of the contract was received.

You could contact the company and see are they offering an extended returns period for Christmas, some clothing sites seems to be offering refund up till the middle of Jan, but they dont have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭RoboRat

7 days cooling off period by law unless you have opened its packaging and cant put it back as it was (by packaging, I don't mean the parcel I mean if its sealed within its merchandising packaging and by opening it you can put it back as you received it).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I thought there was a 28 day return policy on most items - can anyone help?

This is something that most shops offer at their own discretion and it is not a legal requirement.

Generally, shops are not obliged to take back goods if you simply change your mind. However, if you purchase via distance selling (i.e. over the internet), where you have not had a chance to inspect the goods prior to purchase, then you do have a 7 day period in which to return the goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Generally, shops are not obliged to take back goods if you simply change your mind. However, if you purchase via distance selling (i.e. over the internet), where you have not had a chance to inspect the goods prior to purchase, then you do have a 7 day period in which to return the goods.

BUT, and this is the big BUT that a lot of people neglect to take into account - you can't take it from its packaging unless you can put it back exactly how it was. Plus you are also liable to pay for the carriage back.

A lot of people neglect to take this into account and remove the product from its packaging and then decide they don't want it. It has to be in the same condition as you received it so the store can re-sell it. Always be wary of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭my user name

panic over. I got a very prompt reply stating they would extend over the Christmas until early January!

• Advertisement
Advertisement