Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shameless US (* US Pace *)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

http://www.sho.com/site/announcements/view.do?articleid=841

So the pilot of the US version of Shameless has been made and the network Showtime are aiming to have a full series airing by Januray 2011. What does everyone think of this?? Will it work? They have a great cast by the looks of things with William Macy playing Frank but I just can't see the show transferring to America without a significant overhaul.

The council estate doesn't really exist in the US in the same way as the UK. There are the 'projects' in places like the South Bronx in New York and Palo Alto in San Francisco but they're not really the same sort of thing as the British council flats. I can imagine the show ending up being set in a trailer park or something along those lines. That all said I feel the US Office is actually quite a good programme if it differs a lot of its British original so US Shameless could work.

Whats everyone else thoughts on how it'll pan out?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

"meh" is my generic/scripted response.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,745 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Showtime has announced premiere date for Shameless.

The cable network will debut the US version of Shameless from producer John Wells and starring William H. Macy on January 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Shameless US threads merged!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Truly shameless promotion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm always surprised by how much alcoholism is in some American shows. I can see them making shows about an alcoholic that uses weed but don't know if they'd go any further than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Whats everyone else thoughts on how it'll pan out?

I look forward to it. I would only be worried if it was being made by one of the networks (NBC, FOX, CBS etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Caveat wrote: »
    It sounds like an awful idea but then again so did the US version of The Office - which I believe turned out kind of OK? I dunno, have never watched it.

I watched it - it's sh*t - slapstick sitcom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

basquille wrote: »
    Shameless US threads merged!

How come I can never seem to find the threads I want :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

its been done

It was called Roseanne

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Caveat wrote: »
    Big blue collar family in Chicago?

Probably Irish again.

Go on the scumbags!!

yes, it wouldnt be PC to have a real Chicago welfare family .......

Try the search function ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

macy and janney are great actors and the fact its on showtime it could work

the uk version is very explicit in language and nudity so this will be too no doubt considering its showtime

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Yup, and i get scolded for a shoddy search engine :mad: - :(

Alison Janney is no longer part of the cast :(

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Alison Janney is no longer part of the cast :(
    Allisson Janney was never a dedicated cast-member - she's been listed as guest-star (or a "recurring guest star") in all press releases.

who was janney playing anyways?

who was janney playing anyways?

Shameless-Showtime-590x393.jpgFrom the picture I thought it was Sheila

Yep, her IMDb confirms she's playing Sheila alright!
    # "Shameless" .... Sheila (1 episode, 2010)
    - Pilot (2010) TV episode .... Sheila

Sheila was a major character in the UK show so I assume she would be in the US show also so I doubt she'd be a guest star or recurring

• Advertisement

http://www.hitfix.com/articles/joan-cusack-exhibits-shameless-behavior-for-showtime
    Joan Cusack has joined the cast of Showtime's new dramedy "Shameless."
    Cusack will appear in all 12 episodes of "Shameless," which will premiere on Sunday, Jan. 9.
    "Shameless" is based on the adored British format and features original creator Paul Abbott as executive producer along with Emmy winner John Wells. The series features William H. Macy as the alcoholic patriarch of a working-class Chicago family, but truly stars Emmy Rossum as the eldest daughter who has to keep the family together.
    Cusack will play Sheila, an agoraphobic housewife who strikes up a relationship with Macy's character.
    The role was played by Allison Janney in the pilot, but with the "West Wing" star committed to ABC's midseason comedy "Mr. Sunshine" and producers determined to expand Sheila into a larger role, there wasn't enough Janney to go around.
    Cusack has earned a pair of Oscar nominations for her performances in "Working Girl" and "In & Out." He TV credits include the short-lived "What About Joan" and a run on "Saturday Night Live."
    Production on "Shameless" will begin in mid-September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

New trailer : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2nAnpNouEM&feature=player_embedded

I'm not a big fan of the Uk version, but I'll check this out for Emmy Rossum & Justin Chatwin.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's hard to comprehend so many people wasting so much time making something so pointless.

Looks like a lazy lazy remake...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

I guessing this will be like a more serious version of "My Name Is Earl".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Oh God, its a word for word rip off... It's not gonna work... Don't think I can even attempt to watch it in January - think I'll just rewatch the good auld UK version instead...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Oh God, its a word for word rip off... It's not gonna work... Don't think I can even attempt to watch it in January - think I'll just rewatch the good auld UK version instead...

It doesn't look great at all,but in terms of it copying the original version word for word nearly,a lot of remakes do that for the pilot but then go off in their own direction,like the US Office and possibly other remakes. Whether that happens with this version has yet to be seen. Ill probbaly watch the pilot and see what its like.

tvnutz wrote: »
    It doesn't look great at all,but in terms of it copying the original version word for word nearly,a lot of remakes do that for the pilot but then go off in their own direction,like the US Office and possibly other remakes. Whether that happens with this version has yet to be seen. Ill probbaly watch the pilot and see what its like.
    Yeah, that's what I presume will happen too.

I'm still yet to finish the 1st season in my 5 season boxset I picked up in Zavvi a year or 2 back.

DeWitt wrote: »
    New trailer : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2nAnpNouEM&feature=player_embedded

I'm not a big fan of the Uk version, but I'll check this out for Emmy Rossum & Justin Chatwin.

• Advertisement

^ that looks awful to me

Advertisement