Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Move over Green Party.

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

The Greens are a madcap party who cost the consumers a lot of money.

Robust exact examples please?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Chinasea wrote: »

Increase in fuel and bin charges for a start i.e. Petrol, heating oil because of their Carbon Tax measures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Eamon Ryan seems set for the Dublin Euro seat? :confused:

You're sort of defeating your own point by including them here

I am glad for Ryan. He is a good public representative. He will do very well in Europe.

Increase in fuel and bin charges for a start i.e. Petrol, heating oil because of their Carbon Tax measures.

You mentioned madcap. Not seeing how these measures/taxes are "mad" as you call them.

• Advertisement

You mentioned madcap. Not seeing how these measures/taxes are "mad" as you call them.

They were "mad" to the people who were getting it hard to afford the heating oil, petrol and bin charges even before the rises.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

They voted as a party to endorse the creation of NAMA.

Nate

They were "mad" to the people who were getting it hard to afford the heating oil, petrol and bin charges even before the rises.

Oh that mad, thought so.

Oh that mad, thought so.

Good for you. That "mad" has them where they are now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Their ludicrous motor tax policies decimated the second hand car market just in time for the credit crunch, rememu that time when it was pretty difficult to obtain credit to upgrade to a lower based emission one from the banks or finance companies?

Punishment for not being financially able to upgrade, while those well enough off to afford these newer, lower based emission cars basically got luxury goods without the extortianate yearly tax rates (those most able to afford it escaped it)

I reckon that was nutty as squirrel dung, but there ya go, it was a green policy after all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Labour are going to take a hammering. I'd like to know what people expected them to do? They were elected as the junior coalition partner in a Government that took power during a financial crisis that was unprecedented. Really difficult decisions had to be made. More tax, more cuts, less spending on services. I very much doubt social democrats like Joan Burton march into their office each day to make difficult decisions just out of spite. Mistakes were made, but we managed to get through it without having to take some of the drastic actions that appear to be espoused around here. Leaving the Euro, violent revolution, defaulting on Sovereign debt.

Circumstances dictate realistic decisions when in power. That's realpolitik. I think both parties worked well on making some sort of decent attempt at fixing things. We still borrow a billion a month though. I'd take pragmatic parties like FG and Labour any day over the sort of the populist 'pie-in-the-sky- gibberish being fired out by various fringe parties and independents.

Labour are rightly going to take a hammering for talking the talk in opposition but not being able to walk the walk in power.

The Labour leadership knew exactly the difficult decisions that would have to be made once in power as the FF government gave them access to the dept. of Finance. However they insisted on proclaiming that they would pursue populist policies (such as not cutting child benefit) in order to win votes. Coming out with nonsense like 'Labours way or Frankfurt way' typifies this approach. Again the Labour leadership knew of the details that were in the memorandum of understanding with the troika and that a new government was legally bound to implement them.

If they hadn't taken such a populist approach to the last election they wouldn't have done as well but they also wouldn't be doing as badly as they are now. They told the electorate what it wanted to hear when it knew it couldn't deliver, and is now reaping the rewards for that behaviour.

If the Labour leadership had any sense it would have left FG to form a government with the support of independents at the last election. It is likely this government wouldn't have lasted too long and would have given Labour the opportunity to create a government which it could lead, possibly even on its own. The likes of Gilmore couldn't wait for that to happen, and got into bed with FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Birroc wrote: »
    I am glad for Ryan. He is a good public representative. He will do very well in Europe.

As am I - the Greens fcuked up badly by going in with FF, but it shouldn't be a terminal mistake. The body politick is probably better with them being a part of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Reformed Character

They voted as a party to endorse the creation of NAMA.

Nate
    They also voted for the Bank Guarantee something that has cost the rest of us tens of billions, and why did they do it?, oh yeah they figured it was a good quid pro quo for banning hunting !
    Never again, never ever again!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,955 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

upyores wrote: »
    They also voted for the Bank Guarantee something that has cost the rest of us tens of billions, and why did they do it?, oh yeah they figured it was a good quid pro quo for banning hunting !
    Never again, never ever again!

I'll always remember hearing that Green Party guy on Matt Cooper's show saying that he was going to do that. Matt Cooper sounded stunned!

A big soft armchair now needed and a few more to follow please :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Lol.

Pats hypocrisy once again.

Looking after his buddies before his departure.
    PAT Rabbitte has quietly appointed two Coalition cronies to a state board in his final days as a Cabinet minister.

The Communications Minister has put a Labour Party by-election candidate and a former Fine Gael TD on the board of Bord na Mona.

Mr Rabbitte's move comes just a week before he is expected to be dropped from ministerial office by Labour Party leadership favourite Joan Burton.

Echoing the dying days of the Fianna Fail government, the appointment was approved at Cabinet by the outgoing minister without being officially announced.

Notably, Ms Burton is due to make a significant speech tonight on the need for the Coalition to push through with its promises of reform of the political system.

The appointments of former Fine Gael TD John Farrelly and Labour by-election candidate Denis Leonard, who both lost their council seats in the local elections, were agreed by the Cabinet – but were not publicly announced.

When he was in opposition, Mr Rabbitte was an outspoken critic of those with party political affiliations being appointed to state boards.

He once claimed that the former Taoiseach Bertie Ahern was attempting to give state board appointments to the "entire Drumcondra branch" of Fianna Fail.

"When it comes to patronage and croneyism, Fianna Fail leaves other parties in the shade. It's pretty much par for the course in terms of their previous record," he said in 1999.

Mr Rabbitte's department confirmed the appointment of the two politicians.

"Yes, the Government has appointed both gentlemen – Mr Denis Leonard and Mr John Farrelly – to the board of Bord na Mona," a spokesman said.

Mr Leonard lost his seat on Westmeath County Council last month and finished seventh in the Longford-Westmeath by-election, which was won by Fine Gael's Nicky McFadden.

Mr Rabbitte launched the campaign of Mr Leonard in the 2009 local elections. The ex-councillor is a school teacher and a former member of Westmeath County Council. But the department claimed that he did have expertise in the area.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/rabbitte-appoints-coalition-cronies-to-jobs-on-state-board-30385990.html

Advertisement