Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Samsung Galaxy S4 thread - See Mod Warning in Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

pah wrote: »
    Those codes have never worked for me on any of my Galaxy phones, note, note2, S4.

It worked on my S3

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

madmoe wrote: »
    You have it on Adverts.ie??

Yes just up under the same user name mate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Yes just up under the same user name mate

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

To anyone using the Case Mate Tough case, do you find the silicon isn't a perfect fit for the phone or did I get a slightly flawed one?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I have this 1 an it's a perfect fit the whole way around http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BJ0K884/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

Hi can anyone do the drama shot on the camera? I'm sick of trying and it not working!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

I hate the battery cover so got one of these carbon fiber effect battery cover replacement for about a tenner. Original cover on right and new cover on phone on the left
    photo-4_zpse0f73426.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

iggy wrote: »
    I hate the battery cover so got one of these carbon fiber effect battery cover replacement for about a tenner. Original cover on right and new cover on phone on the left

Cool are you happy with it?

Question for ye S4 gurus....I used Easy Phone Sync to sync and transfer all my music and playlists from iTunes to my SD card. All worked fine. But after a few days my playlists disappear, but my music is still there. I then have to resync the playlists on the phone...takes no time at all but is a pain when your not near your pc and you want to play music off a specific playlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

pinkstars wrote: »
    Hi can anyone do the drama shot on the camera? I'm sick of trying and it not working!!!

Yeah I've done a couple so far, not much to it. Actually a nice little feature.

Just make sure that your target starts to the side, hold camera in one place and start taking pictures before they appear on camera. The ones that work well are when the targets goes across the screen to the other side.

Once its processes you can then remove the images you don't want and add in the ones you do.

Below is quick example of one I did earlier.

JcAVXGfl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

Yeah I've done a couple so far, not much to it. Actually a nice little feature.

Just make sure that your target starts to the side, hold camera in one place and start taking pictures before they appear on camera. The ones that work well are when the targets goes across the screen to the other side.

Once its processes you can then remove the images you don't want and add in the ones you do.

Below is quick example of one I did earlier.

JcAVXGfl.jpg

So I keep taking different photos?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭pah

pinkstars wrote: »
    So I keep taking different photos?

Keep your background framing constant by holding the device steady and have your subject enter the frame from one side. You just hit the camera button once.

beach.jpg

Why won't dropbox work as an image link????

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Marco85

When im writing a text or posting a msg like this i have to press the space bar twice to get a space in between words which makes it slow and annoying. How do i sort this does anybody know?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Does anyone who bought the S4 regret not buying the HTC One? I'm toying between the two and would be interested in hearing how you decided...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Marco85 wrote: »
    When im writing a text or posting a msg like this i have to press the space bar twice to get a space in between words which makes it slow and annoying. How do i sort this does anybody know?

It's only in boards that happens to me. Never happened to me in other places though. Seems like a bug with boards

Zascar wrote: »
    Does anyone who bought the S4 regret not buying the HTC One? I'm toying between the two and would be interested in hearing how you decided...

I was considering it, but didn't go based on previous experience of sluggishness, a lot of HTC phones for me started acting up after a 6+ month period (covered by warranty but still annoying) no removable battery, no slot for my 64GB memory card.

Based on those I stayed away from it, perhaps would have considered it more if the black was available. Don't like the silver model. I seen a the Chinese version had a removable back, but still no memory card slot nor removable battery.

The only thing I regret is giving up my note 2 for it :-D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

A guy in work has the HTC One, I used it for a bit, really delighted I got the S4, he used my S4 and said he was sorry he didn't get that 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Absolutely love my S4!
    One major gripe I have against it though is that the phone can get very hot when running processor intensive applications. To negate it you can close most of the apps by holding down the home key but you shouldn't really have to do this.
    One thing though that has me suspicious is whether the cheap Belkin, poc, cover that I have for my phone isn't contributing towards poorer heat dissipation. :(

That said, I'd love to got a One too. :o
    Don't actually know which is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

My choice ended up between the two but I decided on the S4 for a few reasons:
    Expanable storage was a biggie - I have lots of information in the cloud but I also have a need for a large amount of local data.
    I was upgrading from a S2 so it was an easier process for me i.e. I could bring over the content on my memory card and works straight away with new phone. Also the OS i.e. Touchwiz is more or less the same on both S2 and S4 although that will be removed at a later date (to stock) so not really a major factor.
    Camera was another big thing for me and I decided I liked the look of the sample shots from the S4 in the reviews I read compared to the One.

Most people are put off by the S4 due to the material that's used i.e. the high-grade plastic but it makes the phone quite light and I personally rather it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Most people are put off by the S4 due to the material that's used i.e. the high-grade plastic but it makes the phone quite light and I personally rather it.
    To be fair... there's nothing that high grade about the material used to make the back cover. It's ridiculously flimsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

I have Case-Mate Barely There transparent case, used it only 2 days. If anyone is interested let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

In the same situation myself. It's not an easy choice.
    I like the fact that the HTC has a real FM radio because I would use that a good bit (Radio apps are always dropping out).
    The S4 seems to have a lot of gimmicky features that don't really work and that you would never really use.
    The S4 screen is bigger and flashier but the HTC one seems to be better according to reviews.
    I can't seem to find a real HTC on display anywhere but Samsung have dedicated stands in every shop, they are spending a lot on promoting the S4.
    Only Meteor seem to be doing the HTC in black which would be my preference but I want to go with Three :(
    The S4 seems to have the edge on picture quality but the HTC is better in low light.
    As regards storage the HTC has 32Gb whereas you'll have to buy a memory card straight away with the 16Gb S4 at extra cost.

It sure is a hard choice!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

To be fair... there's nothing that high grade about the material used to make the back cover. It's ridiculously flimsy.

Why do people say that? Its meant to be supple! If it wasnt the clips would snap after a few removals. Its not load bearing at all so it doesnt need to be solid ABS.

jpfahy wrote: »
    I like the fact that the HTC has a real FM radio because I would use that a good bit (Radio apps are always dropping out).
    The S4 seems to have a lot of gimmicky features that don't really work and that you would never really use.
    The S4 screen is bigger and flashier but the HTC one seems to be better according to reviews.
    I can't seem to find a real HTC on display anywhere but Samsung have dedicated stands in every shop, they are spending a lot on promoting the S4.
    Only Meteor seem to be doing the HTC in black which would be my preference but I want to go with Three :(
    The S4 seems to have the edge on picture quality but the HTC is better in low light.
    As regards storage the HTC has 32Gb whereas you'll have to buy a memory card straight away with the 16Gb S4 at extra cost.

Dont forget HTC being imbeciles and dropping the menu button!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

jpfahy wrote: »

am I correct in thinking that apps cannot be installed to the SD card? if so, only 8-9 GB of available space for apps doesn't seem like a lot. how's that going for everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

am I correct in thinking that apps cannot be installed to the SD card? if so, only 8-9 GB of available space for apps doesn't seem like a lot. how's that going for everyone?

If you 'root' the phone you can install apps on the card I think. Would have to be a class 10 card though and I think there are some issues with Sandisk cards.

Nope, they cant be moved. Internal storage isnt generous either.

Enable YouTube preloading, a couple of HD games, some apps and your phone will be screaming low memory. I'm limiting the app selection on the device to bare minimum in order to avoid the low internal storage memory warning all the time.

Worst decision to introduce 16GB mobel with only 9GB of space, in this day and age apps becoming are larger and larger and require more storage, I had the same issue on my Note 2.

Lucky that Spotify enabled offline caching in the memory card, otherwise it would drive me up the wall like HTC Desire used to back in the day.

255579.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

ED E wrote: »
    Why do people say that? Its meant to be supple! If it wasnt the clips would snap after a few removals. Its not load bearing at all so it doesnt need to be solid ABS.
    The last phone I had with a removable back cover (with clips) was the Desire. It wasn't thin, flimsy or flexible in anyway. No gloss and a soft, slightly rubbery feel to the plastic. I kept that phone for over two years and removed the back cover hundreds of times and it kept on closing just as well as it did the day I bought it.

It doesn't need to be heavy or a bit more interesting than bog standard glossy plastic, just a bit a more sturdy feeling. I have to take care every time I take the back cover off to make sure it doesn't break.

The last phone I had with a removable back cover (with clips) was the Desire. It wasn't thin, flimsy or flexible in anyway. No gloss and a soft, slightly rubbery feel to the plastic. I kept that phone for over two years and removed the back cover hundreds of times and it kept on closing just as well as it did the day I bought it.

It doesn't need to be heavy or a bit more interesting than bog standard glossy plastic, just a bit a more sturdy feeling. I have to take care every time I take the back cover off to make sure it doesn't break.

I could nearly guarantee you, that unless your being extremely thick and bend it half way backwards you wont be able to break that back cover, I think its more to do with the fact that its flimsy as fúck.

I do wish for a bit of more premium feeling, it feels cheap but its quiet sturdy phone, dropped my S2, S3 and my first Note 2 on the floor flat down and on the side and never destroyed it. Couple of side bumps but they all are fairly resilient to damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭pah

Enable YouTube preloading, a couple of HD games, some apps and your phone will be screaming low memory. I'm limiting the app selection on the device to bare minimum in order to avoid the low internal storage memory warning all the time.

Worst decision to introduce 16GB mobel with only 9GB of space, in this day and age apps becoming are larger and larger and require more storage, I had the same issue on my Note 2.

Lucky that Spotify enabled offline caching in the memory card, otherwise it would drive me up the wall like HTC Desire used to back in the day.

255579.png

Also check your cloud sync settings as if you have drop box set up to appear in your gallery it caches a shed load of data in your memory.

pah wrote: »
    Also check your cloud sync settings as if you have drop box set up to appear in your gallery it caches a shed load of data in your memory.

Yeah I know, I clear that every once in a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

255579.png

Pray tell what is "YouTube preloading" and how does one set that up mate?

All the best,
    M

Advertisement