Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New 30 km/h Zones in the Inner City

• 11-07-2006 9:43pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭

30 km/h zones are appearing all over the inner city. Anyone else noticed? How extensive are they? I live near Smithfield and there are loads of them near Parnell St, North King Street, etc. They apply to all side streets, with 50 for the main street.

This is good as I believe these 30 zones should be everywhere apart from through-routes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Cha ching, money making exercise... smell the money being raked in by this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Cha ching, money making exercise... smell the money being raked in by this.
    no road safety exercise....right thing to do.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Road safety, my ass.

Having lived for a year in that area, the money on the signs would be better sent educating the locals on things such as use of traffic lights to cross road, how to legally cycle a bicycle on public roads, and of course, the old chestnut, Buggies do not lead to automatic right of way on road.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,240 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do you really need to go more than 30 km/h in Temple Bar and Henry Street? and in housing estates?

Speed Limits in Dublin City

Draft Special Speed Limit Bye Laws 2006 (includes map).

This was originally a management proposal, but was pushed at the Transport and Traffic Strategic Policy Committee by Dublin Cycling Campaign (including me).

The NRA has refused to allow lower limits on the likes of O'Connell Street, Bachelors Walk, Nassau Street and College Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭kippy

This is what happens when stricter laws are implemented....
    People knocking them as soon as possible.

They are for the good of everyone. There should be no need to go any faster in these areas.
    As mentioned-mostly for the good of cyclists and walkers which is a good thing since they help to keep cars of the streets and roads in general.
    Kippy

• Advertisement

Never mind bringing your Donkey into it,it's much better to hit a buggy at 30 than at 50 if you are gonna do it.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

spacetweek wrote:
    30 km/h zones are appearing all over the inner city. Anyone else noticed? How extensive are they? I live near Smithfield and there are loads of them near Parnell St, North King Street, etc. They apply to all side streets, with 50 for the main street.

This is good as I believe these 30 zones should be everywhere apart from through-routes.

I think you'ld be very lucky if you can get up to 30kph on those roads in rush hour !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

This is fine... Its hard to drive any faster anyway on these small side roads.. especially around smithfield on the cobble streets.
    Though they should also have a TV campaign to let people know about the new speed limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Same as ... 30k signs going up on residential streets in Ringsend, 50k on 'larger' main streets so to speak ... makes sense but I didn't really need a sign to tell me .. I can't imagine doing 50k on the street I live on let alone 30k... that'd be lethal - kids, ramps etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I think that 30 km/h speed limits make sense of certain urban roads/streets. The average speed motorists manage on them is well below this anyway. For it to be of any use it will have to be sign posted properly unlike most things in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

I think that 30 km/h speed limits make sense of certain urban roads/streets. The average speed motorists manage on them is well below this anyway. For it to be of any use it will have to be sign posted properly unlike most things in Dublin.
    For the majority (I hope) driving on these certain urban streets/roads speed limits are adhered to due to common sense, as you note whilst things are so poorly signposted direction wise, they manage to to have these speed signs up in a matter of days.... why can't they do both ... ?

OMcGovern wrote:
    I think you'ld be very lucky if you can get up to 30kph on those roads in rush hour !
    The problem on these streets are often when they are mostly clear of traffic - and full of pedestrians.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Victor wrote:
    The problem on these streets are often when they are mostly clear of traffic - and full of pedestrians.
    Speaking of which are there any plans to pedestrianise further parts of the city? Exchequer street, I'm looking your way :)

Not that I know of, but now that they are finished O'Connell Street ....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,890 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It makes sense on certain streets. I'm just worried about the precedent being used to impose the 30km/h limit all over the place.

Oh and speed bumps, you can never have enough speed bumps :rolleyes:

i hate speed bumps....keep losing the exhaust off my Cortina......already put higher springs under it to get out of my drive!:) they certainly slow me down!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Stark wrote:
    It makes sense on certain streets. I'm just worried about the precedent being used to impose the 30km/h limit all over the place.
    Is this not a good thing?

Stark wrote:
    These streets are primarily pedestrian-orientated streets, which continuous retail or residential frontages.
    Oh and speed bumps, you can never have enough speed bumps :rolleyes:
    If people respected the speed limits and other road users, they woudn't be needed.

Advertisement