Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Home - To go monitored or not?

• 05-08-2014 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi All,

Just about to close the purchase of a new house.
    It's a new build, wired for an alarm.

Trying to decide to go monitored or not.
    I thought I heard about an upcoming EU ruling that all alarms would have to be monitored from 2016 (or something?)

Not really sure I want to pay the €300+ a year for a monitored alarm at this point.
    Looks like I can add a monitoring connector to an existing alarm for €160 with a little searching.

Any recommended security companies?

Cheers,
    Ro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭altor

ro_bilco wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just about to close the purchase of a new house.
    It's a new build, wired for an alarm.

Trying to decide to go monitored or not.
    I thought I heard about an upcoming EU ruling that all alarms would have to be monitored from 2016 (or something?)

Not really sure I want to pay the €300+ a year for a monitored alarm at this point.
    Looks like I can add a monitoring connector to an existing alarm for €160 with a little searching.

Any recommended security companies?

Cheers,
    Ro

I cant see a ruling of everyone needing a monitored alarm to have an alarm coming into force. What would happen with all the systems already installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ro_bilco

OK cheers .... I must have been mistaken.

OK cheers .... I must have been mistaken.

I would say so, it would never happen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ro_bilco

Thanks ... Wanna recommend a good alarm installation company ?

Thanks ... Wanna recommend a good alarm installation company ?

:D

Recommendation can only be done by P.M. not on thread as per forum charter.

If you look at the PSA list here you will get local installers. My advice would be to get 3 quotes comparing like with like and take it from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭deandean

some home insurance contracts require you to have a monitored alarm installed to the standard. mainly if you have listed valuables in the house.
    a monitoring company just phones keyholders anyhow (plus some other benefits).
    if you have family / friends liv8ng close by you could consider having the alarm dial your own mobile. maybe talk over the options with your alarm installer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

deandean wrote: »
    some home insurance contracts require you to have a monitored alarm installed to the standard. mainly if you have listed valuables in the house.
    a monitoring company just phones keyholders anyhow (plus some other benefits).
    if you have family / friends liv8ng close by you could consider having the alarm dial your own mobile. maybe talk over the options with your alarm installer.

Just to confirm monitoring companies not only ring key holders but also contact the emergency service's, that goes for them all not just PW.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭multisport

Apart from cost, what are the differences between the different monitored alarm companies?
    What is likely to make one company better than another? Will it come down to their level of customer service?

Surely they all monitor in a similar manner, alarm goes off, the phone keyholders/friends etc, and the emergency services if required.

Much like the OP I'm wondering whether to go monitored or not.

thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

multisport wrote: »
    Apart from cost, what are the differences between the different monitored alarm companies?
    What is likely to make one company better than another? Will it come down to their level of customer service?

Surely they all monitor in a similar manner, alarm goes off, the phone keyholders/friends etc, and the emergency services if required.

Much like the OP I'm wondering whether to go monitored or not.

thanks in advance

Ok as an installer what i look for in a monitoring station is the manner and professionalism of the staff as they will be in contact with my customers. Reaction time, attention to detail and common sense are also up there.

I usually believe in the saying you pay for what you get, but in this regard I know of one monitoring station that spends millions every year on advertising that someone has to pay for and that is why they are so expensive not to mention also so far up themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,231 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'd like to see the stats for robberies with regards monitored alarms and non monitored alarm. I would then like to see the % of houses that are robbed and the frequency that they are robbed, then I'd like to see the value if goods taking.

Basically is it worth paying the extra for a monitored alarm If the after 3 years it would have worked out cheaper to be robbed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

ted1 wrote: »
    I'd like to see the stats for robberies with regards monitored alarms and non monitored alarm. I would then like to see the % of houses that are robbed and the frequency that they are robbed, then I'd like to see the value if goods taking.

Basically is it worth paying the extra for a monitored alarm If the after 3 years it would have worked out cheaper to be robbed.

it will only work out cheaper to be robbed if you sign up to phonewatch... €420 per year. Other providers are 3 times cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,231 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Evolution1 wrote: »
    it will only work out cheaper to be robbed if you sign up to phonewatch... €420 per year. Other providers are 3 times cheaper.

Are people really paying 2k for 5 years monitoring?

ted1 wrote: »
    Are people really paying 2k for 5 years monitoring?

Standard contract with phonewatch is 36 months if you buy from reps. So €1680.. you could get an alarm with all the bells and whistles and CCTV for that...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Evolution1 wrote: »
    Standard contract with phonewatch is 36 months if you buy from reps. So €1680.. you could get an alarm with all the bells and whistles and CCTV for that...

You won't get much of an intruder alarm and CCTV for that money. Cheap crap. ..yes, something half decent ..no.

Quantum kit and cctv kit from eyespy €900

Advertisement