Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primetime last night

• 11-05-2012 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭

So, in case you missed it, the show was about dodgy landlords. What stood out for me, on a personal level, was a guy who was living in this awful bedsit with mould and damp everywhere, ruining his clothes, belongings and lungs. Alone. The thing that got to me the most was that it was someone I went to school with. A peer, if you will.

Since leaving school, I got a couple of degrees, got engaged to a beautiful, educated woman and I am now lucky enough to have a decent job with a future. I am very grateful for where I'm at right now. It just stunned me how we both went on such different paths from seemingly equal positions. I'm not gloating, I actually felt really bad for the guy.

Has anyone ever had a similar experience, perhaps pulling up to McDonalds in a fancy car to be served by an old classmate? Did you feel bad/glad/indifferent?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

You should let him move in with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

smash wrote: »

Hehehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Couple of my class mates turned out to be Heroin Junkies, a few are in the Joy, one is locked up in Porlaise, I don't feel bad for them, they were always scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Poor Homeless bloke in Tallaght had to sleep in a lorry tyre. :(

Some skanger punctured it on him last week, now he's livin in a flat. :cool:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Perfect time to arrange a class reunion. You'll know for sure that you aren't going to be the least successful in the room.

This is a gift you've been given, use it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

A peer, if you will.

I will not, but thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I've seen a couple of guys from primary school and secondary school working menial jobs many years ago.
    One in a garage in Shankill, another in the Sony Centre in Grafton street.
    They were dickheads, so I was suitably smug.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

So, in case you missed it, the show was about dodgy landlords. What stood out for me, on a personal level, was a guy who was living in this awful bedsit with mould and damp everywhere, ruining his clothes, belongings and lungs. Alone. The thing that got to me the most was that it was someone I went to school with. A peer, if you will.

?

Must have been a very bad school if he couldn't even make a complaint and get his rights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Dr.Strange

I got a job in McDonald's a few years after I left school.

One guy I never got along with in school came in and when he saw me started making a show out of me calling me a waster and loser and boasting of how he was loaded and how he drove a Merc and all this kind of balony.

I dragged him accross the counter and all the staff jumped on him and started stuffing Big Macs in his face and expensive suit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

What if you're in a sh*t job with a hot wife?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

I went to School with a fellah who is now in his later years and has been a very successful criminal who is very likely awaiting a long period in hell .I lived in an awful bedsit too in Rathmines though my circumstances have greatly improved .Nobody should envy anybody because we all get it in the end ....if not sooner then later .He's very wealthy and
    i'm not a 'sour grapes ' merchant because i worked in industries that gave me a good insight .
    There are stranger facts in life than your heart can ever imagine .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Dr.Strange wrote: »

I dragged him accross the counter and all the staff jumped on him and started stuffing Big Macs in his face and expensive suit.

pics of assault charge sheets or GTFO

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

I think its awful how they are allowed to get away with anything,if there is accomadation that is not fit for purpose,ie humans to live in it,with no water/sanitary facilities,it should be illegal to rent it..
    I thought the last case where the guy who kept the deposit and started shouting at the tenant ''ill ****ing kill ya'',''ill cut your ****ing head off'',should be banned from renting..

Would you like fries with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

CCTV footage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

I thought the last case where the guy who kept the deposit and started shouting at the tenant ''ill ****ing kill ya'',''ill cut your ****ing head off'',should be banned from Life..

fixed your post for you

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭RubyRoss

I've seen a couple of guys from primary school and secondary school working menial jobs many years ago.
    One in a garage in Shankill, another in the Sony Centre in Grafton street.
    They were dickheads, so I was suitably smug.

Wow, being smug about their 'menial jobs' - and they are the dickheads, you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,971 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

A guy I went to school with was as thick as sh1t and was always beating people up. He went on to set up his own security company and is now a thick as sh1t multi-millionaire who gets paid to beat people up, and if he can't manage it, one of his thick as sh1t employees gets paid to do it for him.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    A guy I went to school with was as thick as sh1t and was always beating people up. He went on to set up his own security company and is now a thick as sh1t multi-millionaire who gets paid to beat people up, and if he can't manage it, one of his thick as sh1t employees gets paid to do it for him.

Doesn't sound like he's 'thick as sh1t' to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,971 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Doesn't sound like he's 'thick as sh1t' to me.

Some people don't need any education to make piles of money, especially if they've got a big meathead and a passion for violence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Would you like fries with that?

its "Would you like fries with that SIR?" :mad:

and yes without the spit and ass crack juice

Jeez ya just can't get the staff these days :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Gentelman_dub

smash wrote: »

My two mates who I went to school with moved in with me, they are taking the piss, they never pay rent on time and in full but I still love them, great fun lads but I can't wait for them to move out:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

No mention on the programme about deadbeat tenants who wreck the property, are always late with or behind with the rent. Who are always having parties and disturbing the neighbours.
    Then they cry foul when you don't give them back all of their deposit because they have left the place in sh1t.
    Or tenants who do a runner owing a fortune in elec and gas bills.

That programme must be on next week ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'm sure most of the people I went to school with would, or could, look down on me if they met me. I'm not exactly the paragon of success.

There are a few people I hope were knocked down a peg or two, but I'd like to think it was just a learning experience for them and made them better people.

Does anyone really want to see someone truly shattered as a person?

Of the people I went to secondary school with at least two have killed themselves and one has killed someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I got a job in McDonald's a few years after I left school.

One guy I never got along with in school came in and when he saw me started making a show out of me calling me a waster and loser and boasting of how he was loaded and how he drove a Merc and all this kind of balony.

Now, i'm not calling you a liar, but.........

No fúck it i am, you're lying!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Bullchomper

kowloon wrote: »
    I'm sure most of the people I went to school with would, or could, look down on me if they met me. I'm not exactly the paragon of success.

There are a few people I hope were knocked down a peg or two, but I'd like to think it was just a learning experience for them and made them better people.

Does anyone really want to see someone truly shattered as a person?

Of the people I went to secondary school with at least two have killed themselves and one has killed someone else.

Holy ****! It's a bit nuts. No-one I went to school with actually killed anyone but I did date this guy who had been in jail for armed burglary. To be honest, he was the same as anyone else you would meet despite the history (or I'm just blind to these things which is wholly possible).

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Has anyone ever had a similar experience, perhaps pulling up to McDonalds in a fancy car to be served by an old classmate? Did you feel bad/glad/indifferent?

You might have a fancy car but they work in a great place :D
    http://www.greatplacetowork.net/best-companies/europe/ireland/best-workplaces-in-ireland/360-2011

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

If I worked in McDonalds I imagine my day would be full of the sensation of endless sadness for the people who ate there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Since leaving school, I got a couple of degrees, got engaged to a beautiful, educated woman and I am now lucky enough to have a decent job with a future. I am very grateful for where I'm at right now. It just stunned me how we both went on such different paths from seemingly equal positions. I'm not gloating, I actually felt really bad for the guy.

You need to post up bikini shots if we're to believe you

Advertisement