Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6-5-4 of choice?

• 05-03-2012 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Think its time to get a new suit, my 5-4 has a patch in the crotch, 2 patches inside the knees sewn in to it, and a few other gashs I repaired. The armpits of the suit are also starting to let some cold in through the liquid seam. Think im getting getting arthritic from it:pac:. Its 2 years old now and its done me well and it ll do for summer again, Any recomendations anyone? The c-skins, the xcell and the quick silver look the most apealing feature wise from what ive seen, but id like to hear someones opinion not a shop owner or advert sales pitch review.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

All you really need is a 5'4 without vest, boots and hood.

You'll surf better and your arms will love ya;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

VNP wrote: »
    Think its time to get a new suit, my 5-4 has a patch in the crotch, 2 patches inside the knees sewn in to it, and a few other gashs I repaired. The armpits of the suit are also starting to let some cold in through the liquid seam. Think im getting getting arthritic from it:pac:. Its 2 years old now and its done me well and it ll do for summer again, Any recomendations anyone? The c-skins, the xcell and the quick silver look the most apealing feature wise from what ive seen, but id like to hear someones opinion not a shop owner or advert sales pitch review.

i'm not clear on your situation what are you using in summer and what in winter? what are you looking for now?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭VNP

Ok pardon me I wasnt too concise promethius, I'd like someone with experience of the 6-5-4 suits i ve mentioned to give me any pros or cons of the item particulatly the cons as mentioned by rodento there, as im considering purchasing one soon and they cost a nice few bob, so id rather not splash out so to speak and end up dissapointed.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I've the C-Slkins wired. Nearly through it's second season now and hardly any sign of wear and tear on it yet apart from a little one on the knee, think that was from the impact of a fin though. Hoping to get another season or 2 out of it yet. Its warm as hell, hard work getting out of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

The last three suits I had (winter suits) were Rip Curl middle of the range ones which all lasted well and were always almost too warm - all 5/3s. Just recently replaced it and tried on a few different suits, ended up with the O'Neill Mutant 5/3 and am very happy. Was cautious about the chest zip type but after a couple of sessions, it does not take significantly longer to get in and out of. That is my receommendation

• Advertisement

Cool thats what i currently have too a mutant .... Ive mutated a few kgs since I got it myself, particularly my shoulders and chest. Its a challenge to get the first elbow out of it after a long paddle, great suit though.
    The girl in a shop in the south of England recently told me the excel suits they had in stock were made in England, which is why im considering one, they seem very similar to the c-skin quality. I was convinced before that all the major suit brands were made in sweat shops in China which is not something I want to contribute to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I've a mutant too - have had it for three winters. The knees are now worn and they're letting some water in but overall a good suit. I've a long sleeves hooded thermal rashie which I use underneath too.

In relation to C-Skins Wired, I've heard great things about them from 4 or 5 friends who have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

VNP wrote: »
    The girl in a shop in the south of England recently told me the excel suits they had in stock were made in England, which is why im considering one, they seem very similar to the c-skin quality. I was convinced before that all the major suit brands were made in sweat shops in China which is not something I want to contribute to.

This is not always de case re. a sweatshop but as likely to be a general assumption & it'll vary from case to case.
    I'd take what a girl in a surfshop says regarding a companie's manufacturing location with a pinch of salt, more likely to be designed, developed etc in the UK but I could be wrong.
    Besides QC is something de Chinese are more likely to have sussed than a British equivalent contract manufacturer and you can bet if it was made in UK it'd never be price competitive.

It's a good idea to be aware of the ethical implications of our spending but it is more likely that we'll spend many times more than de cost of a new suit, during its 2-3 year lifespan, on clothing & other consumer items without giving it de same thought when its more likely to have been manufactured in poor working conditions.

Meanwhile BOT...
    Have had the Mutant and would agree with the above about being almost too warm. Have also tried the West Lotus and it's even better & longer lasting but also harder to find.
    In the past I've had a couple of GUL suits and can't understand why they are seldom considered, I guess it's down to marketing, but great long lasting suits and usually less expensive then the heavily branded equivalents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

I have a 6/5/4. I wouldn't get another one. it's very heavy. It's also very buoyant making duck diving hard. I plan on getting an o'neill or xcel hooded 5/4 for next winter. A well fitted 5/4 will also be warmer than a 6/5/4 that is slightly too big here and there.

My advice would be to spend the extra cash for the 6/5/4 on a top of the range hooded 5/4, gloves and booties.

Maybe if your a longboarder the 6/5/4 could be a good suit as you sit higher out of the water (don't soak up as much heavy water into the thick chest panels) and don't duck dive.

If you have the money its worth considering a 4'3 patagonia wetsuit ment to match the the standard 5'4's for warmth but feels like a summer suit

For the record I had surfed 6'5'4's for years but would never do so again, got tendonitis in the shouders and kinda put it down to the suit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

Got to agree with the Rat in regards to this,you should'nt need a 6mm on even the coldest day, a decent 5mm should be more than adequate.

Don't know about 6'5's giving you shoulder injuries, that's more likely due to Rodent being a soft c0ck tourist :pac:

I had an epic length reply that got lost when my connection went down thankfully for you guys sake:D well that lovely looking sale girl had a hint of hippy about her and its common knowledge not to trust those types;) cool 5-4 I shall remain so. My shoulder bursaes are crushed not from surfing, I try to keep my back arched up paddling but i dont want to chance it so, hope the shoulders recover rodento it sucks.
    Yeah every garment i have on me at the moment is probably made by a 5 year old somewhere, but I might go xcel 5-4 anyway.
    Many thanks for all the advice.

That was a few years ago, buggered up my surf for about two years, didn't paddle/catch well and tonnes of Physio

Overtrained with paddling sessions on my local beach and a couple of nasty wipeouts didn't help or did suiting up like the michelin man

IMG_2703.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I'm 2.5 years into my 5/3 Mutant, it's starting to split a bit around the cuffs and the rubber seals are all but gone but surprisingly the neck/shoulders aren't showing any sign of wear. It is also very flexible. Doesn't feel as thick/heavy as previous 5/3s that I've owned.

If you get a 5mm suit rather than a 6 you still have the option of wearing a rashie inside it on the coldest days but keeping flexibility.

Yeah the thermal rashie/vest choice in most shops is good too. 2 Layers are probably even more effective than one heavy piece too and you then have the choice, plus they make it easier to get the suit off:)
    My mutant got a bit too much wear from swimming in it during the summer months there, dont think it helped it anyway, just the extra amount of climbing in and out of it.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYRQDS_U5Int9yXdFvXCq4Oo-S8n74m7BOCIfMXaZpwu6dXsTmBQ

Thats what happens your shoulders if you paddle like a fish rodento:p

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

rodento wrote: »
    If you have the money its worth considering a 4'3 patagonia wetsuit ment to match the the standard 5'4's for warmth but feels like a summer suit

Are they any good? not many reviews online about them. Heading stateside myself soon so I'm thinking of picking one up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

rodento wrote: »

my gut instict tells me they'd be a waste of money, maybe good for one season of constant use. Better off with a good 5/4 with a built in hood and good thermal rashie. Good quality gloves and boots make a difference too. Check out the xcel drylock booties.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Good quality gloves and boots make a difference too.

Completely agree on the booties. Good 7mm ones have given my old suit a second lease of life. But now may be the time to put her out to pasture

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

First session without the booties yesterday, pure pleasure to have them gone. The reef certainly made its presence known on the way out though, damn high tide!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

First session without the booties yesterday, pure pleasure to have them gone. The reef certainly made its presence known on the way out though, damn high tide!

Boots are gone? Thank God for that, just been too afraid to go without. Will have to ditch them in the next few weeks or sooner

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

Went without the boots and gloves today, felt fantastic.

Advertisement