Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 Inch AllWinner A13 1.5GHz Android 4.0 Tablet - €55.44

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Lash_Alert

Lash_Alert wrote: »
    Article 9: Customs Clearance

The products being shipped from China, it is possible that the package clears through customs. As a buyer (importer), you are responsible for the costs associated with them. Therefore you will have to pay customs rights and the Value Added Tax (VAT) upon receipt of your package. Customs rights depend on the product type, a percentage is applied to the product which is designated by its TARIC code. Customs rights are calculated on the CIF value of the parcel (Cost Insurance and Freight, it includes the value of the product, insurance, if any, and freight cost) and VAT is calculated on the total, customs rights plus the CIF value.

Generally, these fees must be paid when the carrier brings you the package. We recommend that you check with the relevant institutions to know the exact charges of the destination country.

After delivery and after payment of these fees (if any) and that only concerns the orders of less than five hundred Euros (500€), you send the bill of the carrier by mail including the number of the package, the delivery date, the consignee's name and address and the amount of the fees. HONGKONGEEK.COM will refund by PAYPAL. (see the page DUTY FREE / VAT PAID BACK)

Taken from HKG website, does that mean that if m order is larger than €500 euros then I will not be allowed to claim back? surely if this is the case I can just order seperately? Or does it mean that my Vat bill cannot exceed 500...

Anyone got any idea on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,426 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I have 2 u30gt mini's being delivered tomorrow :-)
    Ordered on the 11th via Aliexpress and in Shannon since the 15th.....But only being delivered tomorrow!
    I have used a lot of Courier companies over the years and always thought I'd be hard pressed to deal with a bigger pack of incompetents than D.H.L
    But step forward FedEx....ye have taken the crown!

One of the worst customer experiences I have ever had!
    Very poor communication and non existent customer support!
    Package in Shannon since Friday morning and despite phonecalls and emails from myself, with promises of call backs and updates each time, not once was any of this followed up on!
    They ignored the customs declaration value, had to submit an invoice to them which they had on Friday afternoon and then they decided they had to open the parcel for inspection
    Now I am still waiting for a package that has been out for delivery since 8.40am this morning, when it could and should(given the cost of Delivery in the 1st place) have been delivered on Monday!
    I'm back to using good auld fashioned An Post/EMS from now on....
    I can't wait to see what they're ''handling'' fee is going to be for dicking around!
    A handling fee, from a company I already paid to transport my goods from point A to point B!
    Because all I'm paying is the VAT owed and they can sing for anything else!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

I think so, it has a better CPU and GPU, and better quality screen, running JellyBean instead of ICS, has a HDMI output and a healthy user community with a good choice of custom firmware.

Ordered a few for the kids on Monday from futeko and they are currently in Shannon on route to me.:D

[COLOR="Red"]Edit[/COLOR]: Just received the tablets. Ordering Monday afternoon, delivered Thursday lunchtime.....not bad.

Did you use parcel motel?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

banie01 wrote: »
    I have 2 u30gt mini's being delivered tomorrow :-)
    Ordered on the 11th via Aliexpress and in Shannon since the 15th.....But only being delivered tomorrow!
    I have used a lot of Courier companies over the years and always thought I'd be hard pressed to deal with a bigger pack of incompetents than D.H.L
    But step forward FedEx....ye have taken the crown!

One of the worst customer experiences I have ever had!
    Very poor communication and non existent customer support!
    Package in Shannon since Friday morning and despite phonecalls and emails from myself, with promises of call backs and updates each time, not once was any of this followed up on!
    They ignored the customs declaration value, had to submit an invoice to them which they had on Friday afternoon and then they decided they had to open the parcel for inspection
    Now I am still waiting for a package that has been out for delivery since 8.40am this morning, when it could and should(given the cost of Delivery in the 1st place) have been delivered on Monday!
    I'm back to using good auld fashioned An Post/EMS from now on....
    I can't wait to see what they're ''handling'' fee is going to be for dicking around!
    A handling fee, from a company I already paid to transport my goods from point A to point B!
    Because all I'm paying is the VAT owed and they can sing for anything else!

When they eventually deliver the goods, I would make the driver wait so as you can check them over (seems as they had to open them to inspect them), and any problems hand them back, alternatively on delivery sign for the delivery as "unchecked"

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭nowuckenfurries

vicwatson wrote: »
    When they eventually deliver the goods, I would make the driver wait so as you can check them over (seems as they had to open them to inspect them), and any problems hand them back, alternatively on delivery sign for the delivery as "unchecked"

Do NOT sign Unchecked, this is classed as a clean signature in law as the onus is on you to check it. sign for it as " Package opened, possible damage"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

I went for a tablet which was recommended here from a UK seller on ebay. Received an automated email and it turns out that the "UK warehouse" is out of stock and the tablet is shipped from US or HK. As the idea was to avoid custom charges, I told them I'm going to refuse collection and automatically the tablet will be sent back to them although they offered to pay for any possible custom charges. Also, I'm worried that in the case of a faulty tablet, it will take ages to ship it back and then wait for it to return.

Will I have a problem in getting my money back is I refuse collection?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Do NOT sign Unchecked, this is classed as a clean signature in law as the onus is on you to check it. sign for it as " Package opened, possible damage"

On the contrary, if you go to claim against the transport company or the shipper, once you have an unchecked consignment note/delivery note you are excluding yourself from any liability for the condition of the goods.

I am not talking about where there is visible damage to the package, and possibly damage to the goods inside, if it looked like its damaged then refuse the delivery if you are unhappy on its condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭M00lers

Did you use parcel motel?

No, still waiting for one in my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,426 ✭✭✭✭banie01

On the contrary, if you go to claim against the transport company or the shipper, once you have an unchecked consignment note/delivery note you are excluding yourself from any liability for the condition of the goods.

I am not talking about where there is visible damage to the package, and possibly damage to the goods inside, if it looked like its damaged then refuse the delivery if you are unhappy on its condition.

Thanks for the info folks!

The latest on this, is that despite the FedEx tracking page showing the package as being ''On FedEx vehicle for delivery'' since 8.40am yesterday morning.
    This is incorrect, the package is still in customs and this is wrong scan data(which does nothing to inspire confidence!).
    FedEX told me to ring customs and liase with them as Customs have the parcel.
    So I ring them, and guess what!
    They never had it in fact so they gave me a number for FedEX customs brokers who said, ''oh yeah, we haven't processed that yet''
    I have never encountered such a poor delivery company!
    4 days to get from Shenzen to Shannon, and 7 days and counting to get from Shannon to Limerick city......
    Joke of a service!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

banie01 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info folks!

The latest on this, is that despite the FedEx tracking page showing the package as being ''On FedEx vehicle for delivery'' since 8.40am yesterday morning.
    This is incorrect, the package is still in customs and this is wrong scan data(which does nothing to inspire confidence!).
    FedEX told me to ring customs and liase with them as Customs have the parcel.
    So I ring them, and guess what!
    They never had it in fact so they gave me a number for FedEX customs brokers who said, ''oh yeah, we haven't processed that yet''
    I have never encountered such a poor delivery company!
    4 days to get from Shenzen to Shannon, and 7 days and counting to get from Shannon to Limerick city......
    Joke of a service!

I hope their Dublin service is better, mine is also saying its on Vehicle for Delivery, but only since this morning. Was hoping that meant I wasn't going to get stung for customs but not so sure after your post!

Edit: Delivered this morning, no mention of customs, hopefully that means I'm safe :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 ks44

Ordered a Ainol Hero 10 yesterday from Hongkongeek. €195 all in. with a cover, screen protector, few adapters and dhl delivery.
    Will let yous know how i get on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

Ordered the cube u30gt-min from aliexpress last sunday night, used DHL shipping arrived this evening..

So far i've had a play with it, it's annoying the hell out of me already, the wifi keep's dropping out , the os is sluggish and buggy as hell ..

I'm hoping it's just doing a few updates and will settle down after a few hours .

I intend on flashing it up to 4.1 with a custom firmware to see if it makes much of an over all difference, if nothing else it will get rid of the terrible chinese app's and games ... ohh and the damn metro interface ..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

If you have any questions about flashing let me know. Have you downloaded the ROM?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭nowuckenfurries

:rolleyes:

When your goods are delivered, the person responsible for accepting and signing for the goods should make a brief examination of the outer packaging. If any damage is apparent or suspected, the delivery note should be endorsed accordingly. The word "unchecked" or similar will not be accepted as claused. Insurance companies will not consider a claim for damage or loss when a "clean" or "clear" proof of delivery is produced.

Take it from someone with an inside view of the shipping industry ;)

Back OT, has anyone spotted cases for the W70 other than on Futeko ?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭mr.noobie

Can anybody here give me a bit of guidance I'm looking for a tablet as a gift for xmas, ideally I'd like to get a 10 inch dual core, but I suppose I could settle on a 7 inch one too. What would be the best in my price range which is about €150. I'm currently considering the Ainol Novo 7 Crystal

mr.noobie wrote: »
    Can anybody here give me a bit of guidance I'm looking for a tablet as a gift for xmas, ideally I'd like to get a 10 inch dual core, but I suppose I could settle on a 7 inch one too. What would be the best in my price range which is about €150. I'm currently considering the Ainol Novo 7 Crystal

Have a look at the hero 10 posted above. Probably the best bang for your buck. I'm tempted myself but not sure if it'll be in before Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭mr.noobie

Have a look at the hero 10 posted above. Probably the best bang for your buck. I'm tempted myself but not sure if it'll be in before Christmas
    How's this one?

http://www.in4dealz.com/deals/Deal-Window-Vido-N90S-9-7-inch-Android-4-1-Tablet-PC-Capacitive-Screen-RK3066-1G-RAM-16G-HDMI-600464/

looks decent to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

If you have any questions about flashing let me know. Have you downloaded the ROM?

Not just yet no, there's a few guide's i've found for doing it, seems handy enough, i'd be simply happier if the bloody wireless would stay connected on it like..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

The freaktab ROM I linked earlier is working fine for me, are the vol+ and vol- buttons in reverse for you?

ks44 wrote: »
    Ordered a Ainol Hero 10 yesterday from Hongkongeek. €195 all in. with a cover, screen protector, few adapters and dhl delivery.
    Will let yous know how i get on

Was this dispatched since your order? I haven't heard of hongkongeek before but need to order asap, have they a good reputation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 ks44

Was this dispatched since your order? I haven't heard of hongkongeek before but need to order asap, have they a good reputation?

No doesnt seem to have been dispatched yet. Im going to contact them in the morn.
    Reputation seem to be good enough. But as far i can see there is no 100% guarante with any of these chinese sites.

Hi,
    I received 2 x Ainol Hero from ingadget.co.uk this morning after ordering on Thursday, shipped from the UK.

I know it costs a bit more than direct from China but the premium is worth it IMO. You get a cheapy sleeve and HDMI cable throw in, so not too bad.

Only had a quick look but they seem to be really nice tablets, the screen seems to be very decent. Antutu benchmark was nearly 8000 so I'll be interested in seeing what a good ROM will do for it.

Moo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Am just about to order one of those for myself, can't make up my mind between the Hero or the Pipo M3 though.

Let us know what you think of the Hero when you have had a chance to play around with it a bit more!!

eamonnq wrote: »
    Am just about to order one of those for myself, can't make up my mind between the Hero or the Pipo M3 though.

Let us know what you think of the Hero when you have had a chance to play around with it a bit more!!

I mightn't have long with them, they're not mine unfortunately, but I might be able to blag one overnight!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 aliise

moolers2000, which deliery method did you use with them? i ordered a hero from them on tues and used parcel motel as never in to take deliverys, always seem to miss them. Anyway, i just chose the free shipping. starting to worry now :confused: as still nothing from parcelmotel
    and whats this about a rom to make them better :o i havent a clue at all about these things
    am going to order a 7 inch one from them this week, they have the ainol flame or ployer momo 8 speed.....or could get the novo crystal from futeko. can anyone advise me whch is the better one, it will be for my son for gaming,movies, music, educational apps etc. dont mind paying up to €150

aliise wrote: »
    moolers2000, which deliery method did you use with them? i ordered a hero from them on tues and used parcel motel as never in to take deliverys, always seem to miss them. Anyway, i just chose the free shipping. starting to worry now :confused: as still nothing from parcelmotel
    and whats this about a rom to make them better :o i havent a clue at all about these things
    am going to order a 7 inch one from them this week, they have the ainol flame or ployer momo 8 speed.....or could get the novo crystal from futeko. can anyone advise me whch is the better one, it will be for my son for gaming,movies, music, educational apps etc. dont mind paying up to €150

I didn't use ParcelMotel, they shipped via ParcelForce global priority, I wouldn't start to worry just yet.

A ROM is just a custom firmware that you load instead of the stock factory firmware. Ingadget seem to have localized it for the UK market so it might be unneccesary.

I'd go for the Momo8 over the Crystal, the Crystal is okay for young kids but I've found the Wifi to be so-so i.e sometimes its really fast and other times its like dial up.

I'd imagine the Momo to be better, it has a faster CPU,GPU, higher res screen, better quality screen and 1 inch larger. All together its probably worth the extra cash.

Moo

• Registered Users Posts: 34 aliise

I didn't use ParcelMotel, they shipped via ParcelForce global priority, I wouldn't start to worry just yet.

A ROM is just a custom firmware that you load instead of the stock factory firmware. Ingadget seem to have localized it for the UK market so it might be unneccesary.

I'd go for the Momo8 over the Crystal, the Crystal is okay for young kids but I've found the Wifi to be so-so i.e sometimes its really fast and other times its like dial up.

I'd imagine the Momo to be better, it has a faster CPU,GPU, higher res screen, better quality screen and 1 inch larger. All together its probably worth the extra cash.

Moo

just hope it's not lost as i think it went with royal mail. so would be just normal post i presume. i will check out a few videos of the momo and see what its like. want to get it this week before the mad xmas postal/delivery rush starts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

ks44 wrote: »
    No doesnt seem to have been dispatched yet. Im going to contact them in the morn.
    Reputation seem to be good enough. But as far i can see there is no 100% guarante with any of these chinese sites.

I contacted them this morning as my order has been stuck at Preparation in progress for last few days so just wanted an update. They do have good rep and people from here have ordered successfully from them in the past.

The NOVO10 HERO looks quite nice though I went for the cheaper option [ZENITHINK ZTPAD C93] after reading some reviews and seeing that it has some good customs roms about.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭paddlepop

I bought the A13 from ebay only because i needed it now and i needed a pink one.
    My first impressions were great. It is very slim, holds well in the hand (and great size for kids hands).
    I found the screen res ok and was responsive and fast.

I havent used one before so cant really compare to anything else yet. My new ipad2 is being delivered tomorrow so at least i have something to compare to (although i am sure these 2 are in different stratespheres)
    but.... as i was dreading theres a few niggles.
    1. The battery is poor (we all know that) i need to charge it a few times i guess to see

2. The mains charger plug does not go all the way flush into the unit. So it can be a little loose...

3. Mine keeps freezing. The only way to unfreeze is to turn it off then on again. But it keeps doing it. All i am doing is going into the settings to try find that debug setting so the usb works......i can tell its frozen as when i take out the charger the little flash icon is still showing up thinking its still on charge.

Anyone else experience this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Want to get a tablet as a present. Was looking at the Kindle Fire bit it's slightly out of my price range. Can someone recommend a decent cheaper option? (preferably not from US as I don't want hassle with customs)

Have read through thread but there's so many discussed it's confusing me.

Advertisement