Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Setting up a seperate planted tank

• 23-05-2012 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Does anybody have any advice or have any experience about setting up a planted tank. I cant remember if it washereor not, but I was going to use the Walstad Method for it.

But I got advice from somebody who works in a house & garden shop saying it would take a month for the 'soil' to settle and lose the chemicals.

At the moment I have a seperate 128L tak with fish and plants but the feckin fish keep digging them up from the substrate (gravel), so I thought I might aswell try and grow it in a seperate tank and possible keeping them for other tanks/giveing to others. I have 2 tanks available to me (for free, I'm not spending money on it) and have a filter for each tank, but no lights yet, and I was thinking about using the water from water changes from the main tank to fill them up! Maybe I might be better off using fresh water? I was considering putting the minnow I have into these tanks, as they're plant friendly

Any helpful response is appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,142 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I've used water change water to help get a cycle going before, it should help get a planted tank going as well as the nitrates you're taking out of the established tank are exactly what feed the plants!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

thinking of going down the Walstad method road myself when I move house in the next months and move my tanks, have you read the book ?
    Ecology of the planted aquarium

I was also looking at this method prior to the Walstad
    The Dry start method

I will be following your thread closely as I have no practical experience when it comes to soil in tanks, I have mainly Java Ferns which seem to grow willy nilly
    all over my tanks !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

vasch_ro wrote: »
    I was also looking at this method prior to the Walstad
    The Dry start method

Jesus,that was tedious.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

I'll keep ye posted on how it goes! But I've only emptied out the old substrate from the tank. It was sharp gravel used for goldfishes, nearly 10 years ago! Going to give it a rinse out with tap water and when I get my hands on some soil it'll be go time! I was thinking of setting up a home made CO2 system? but I'm taking it one step at a time. And I'm going to use the original pump on it, think it's a Fluval one, so I'll transfer the sponge from the main tank into the housing for it. Just going to be using the filter for the sake of a current.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

I'm always dubious about advice from people who work in shops as they're not always very qualified and sometimes have an agenda.

Here's a link to a forum dedicated to the El Natural method where you get help

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/el-natural/

• Advertisement

any updates ? I will be moving house and tanks in just over a week,anf am going to use the opportunity to dirt them and plant them up, would love to know how its going with you .

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Unfortunately, between work and lack of space, (which I'm now in the processs of looking for a new place) I havent had a chance to! Have had the substrate and 2 tanks waiting for about a month now, completely bare! :( But sure if you manage to get started, I'll have to take notes from you! :p

Unfortunately, between work and lack of space, (which I'm now in the processs of looking for a new place) I havent had a chance to! Have had the substrate and 2 tanks waiting for about a month now, completely bare! :( But sure if you manage to get started, I'll have to take notes from you! :p

well I picked up Topsoil today from Woodies, it was buy 2 get one free, so its looking like I will have extra, I have JBL gravel to cap it and re reading Ms Walstads book looks like I will have to pick up crushed coral shell or something to mix through the topsoil as my water is very soft . Just on the lookout now for extra plants ( fast growers) hopefully pick some up tomorrow and if the movers are fast and all goes to schedule should be dirting up next Tuesday week .

Advertisement