Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Stuff Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,805 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So what can we do to prevent our self-replicating overlords taking over the planet - or is it too late!?!

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Meanwhile,, something anyone would have guessed, free access to contraceptives sends abortion rates through the floor.
    When more than 9,000 women ages 14 to 45 in the St. Louis area were given no-cost contraception for three years, abortion rates dropped from two-thirds to three-quarters lower than the national rate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

ninja900 wrote: »
    So what can we do to prevent our self-replicating overlords taking over the planet - or is it too late!?!

Resistance is futile.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,805 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Meanwhile,, something anyone would have guessed, free access to contraceptives sends abortion rates through the floor.

But if there's ever a proposal to introduce it here, the usual suspects will be up in arms :rolleyes:

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Anything could be made, anytime.
    anything that is suitable to be made from the material the printer puts out, though, i assume (certainly with current technology). the ability to embed different materials does not seem available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

anything that is suitable to be made from the material the printer puts out, though, i assume (certainly with current technology). the ability to embed different materials does not seem available.

Excuse my ignorance on the matter, but what exactly is 3D printing? Is it like an early precursor to the Star Trek replicator..? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

pauldla wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance on the matter, but what exactly is 3D printing? Is it like an early precursor to the Star Trek replicator..? :confused:
    Basically, a sort of glue-like substance is deposited in thin layers to make various shapes. It hardens to a kind of plastic. It's a technology that's made major leaps and seems to have developed a hobbyist following already.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

ninja900 wrote: »
    But if there's ever a proposal to introduce it here, the usual suspects will be up in arms :rolleyes:
    They don't want sex education.
    They don't want contraception.
    And, when the lack of education and contraception inevitably leads to getting knocked up, they don't want young people, who may be emotionally unready for having a child, to be able to terminate the pregnancy.

I'm really starting to wonder
    A) why they hate young people
    B) were they never young and hormone addled themselves?
    C) can we please inject them with sex hormones, so that they know what it feels like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

mikhail wrote: »
    Basically, a sort of glue-like substance is deposited in thin layers to make various shapes. It hardens to a kind of plastic. It's a technology that's made major leaps and seems to have developed a hobbyist following already.

There's also the 3D printed house and airplane.

There's a guy who prints guns. He could send you the plans and you could then print out your own gun, providing you have a 3D printer. Only problem is, it can melt after firing one bullet. So you'd better not miss. :eek:

Einstein’s “God Letter” to be auctioned on eBay.

A letter handwritten by physicist Albert Einstein a year before his death, expressing his views on religion, will be sold on eBay this month with an opening bid of $3 million, an auction agency said on Tuesday.

Known as the “God Letter,” the correspondence offers insights into the private thoughts about religion, God and tribalism of one of the world’s most brilliant minds.

“This letter, in my opinion, is really of historical and cultural significance as these are the personal and private thoughts of arguably the smartest man of the 20th century,” said Eric Gazin, the president of Auction Cause, a Los Angeles-based premier auction agency, which will handle the sale on eBay.

“The letter was written near the end of his life, after a lifetime of learning and thought,” he added.

Einstein wrote the letter in German on January 3, 1954, on Princeton University letterhead to philosopher Erik Gutkind after he read Gutkind’s book “Choose Life: The Biblical Call to Revolt.”

“…The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation, no matter how subtle, can (for me) change this,” wrote the German-born scientist, who in 1921 was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

hawking-2-350x268-custom.jpg
    Benedict; "Bless you my son, by the power of the holy spirit I drive out the demons and cure you. Stand up and be.....Oh wait, I forgot you're an atheist, the blessing doesnt work on you, LOL"

Hawking; "F**k off Benny. It wasn't funny yesterday and it ain't funny today either."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

I'd frankly be offended if the pope did that to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

I'm pretty sure most people here will have seen or heard this passage before, but it really gets to me every time I watch it so I had to post it (possibly for the second time haha).

Enjoy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Electrons' Elusive Hideouts Imaged for First Time

landau-level1.jpg?1349204351
    For the first time, scientists have peered down to the level of a single electron and observed quantum states that had only been theorized before.

Researchers imaged the magnetic orbits of electrons called Landau levels, which were predicted in 1930 by Nobel Prize winner Lev Landau. These orbits represent the curved paths electrons travel when exposed to very strong magnetic fields.

Previously, scientists had confirmed the levels exist by measuring the changes in electric current that result when electrons switch from one Landau level to another. However, no one has been able to see these levels until now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

That is freaking amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

This is a great mostly non-technical personal account of one of the 43 students who passed the early tests set by Landau, basically insight into what's required of you if you want to do something like theoretically discover the way frickin' magnets work on electrons.
    I have no failed examination experience of my own. However, once, when I was passing statistical physics, I started solving a problem in a way that Landau did not expect. Landau came, looked and said: “hmm.” Then he left. In 20 minutes he came back, looked again and said “hmm” in an even more dissatisfied tone. At that moment Evgeny Lif****z appeared, who also looked at my notes and shouted: “Dau, do not waste time, throw him out!” But Dau replied: “Let us give him another 20 minutes.” During this time I got the answer and it was correct! Dau looked at the answer, looked again at my calculations and agreed, that I was right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

This is a great mostly non-technical personal account of one of the 43 students who passed the early tests set by Landau, basically insight into what's required of you if you want to do something like theoretically discover the way frickin' magnets work on electrons.

If only I had the head for it. Got physicists and even astrophysicists hangin out of the rafters in my family, but it passed me by. The interest is there, but can't get past the first couple of paragraphs in any new scientist article, sigh.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

After watching the Sagan clip on the previous page, I started chasing down one of my favorite musical pieces "Requiem for a Dream" when I came across this video:

Very cool .......... and provides a perspective on why one shouldn't spend their life "praying" to an imaginary savior.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I totally want one of those casts to hang in my gaf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Now this is really cool:

121008_SpiderPhoto-0305p_files.grid-6x2.jpg
    Researchers have found trapped in amber a rare dinosaur-age scene of a spider attacking a wasp caught in its web.
    The piece of amber, which contains 15 intact strands of spider silk, provides the first fossil evidence of such an assault, the researchers said. It was excavated in a Burmese mine and dates back to the Early Cretaceous, between 97 million and 110 million years ago.
    "This juvenile spider was going to make a meal out of a tiny parasitic wasp, but never quite got to it," George Poinar Jr., a zoology professor at Oregon State University, said in a statement.

More here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/49335493/ns/technology_and_science-science/#.UHNxLE3R6ul

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,702 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Brainless slime mould has an external memory
    Slime moulds use a form of spatial "memory" to navigate, despite not having a brain, a study has found.

Scientists in Australia studied the organisms in an experiment normally used to test robots.

They found that the slime mould could navigate around a U-shaped maze to a food source, using their slimy deposits.

Researchers compare its path-finding method to Hansel and Gretel's breadcrumb trail.
    "A slime mould is not a fungus or mould, but is in fact a protist, which is really the odds and ends of the natural world that don't fit in with the rest of our taxonomic grouping system," said PhD student Christopher Reid who led the study.

"They are truly alien creatures and yet they are all around us: all over the world, preying on yeast, bacteria and fungi, out of sight in the undergrowth."

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

That's just amazing. Thanks for sharing!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Am just watching this now: Conspiracy Road Trip: Creationism, haven't seen it yet so it may not actually be interesting stuff. But based on the last CRT type programme* about 9/11 bombings that saw a few tin foil hats change their opinions after meeting with architects, demolition workers, eyewitnesses, family members, it may be interesting stuff!
    Comedian Andrew Maxwell takes five British creationists to the west coast of America to try to convince them that evolution rather than creationism explains how we all got here. Stuck on a bus across 2,000 miles of dustbowl roads with these passionate believers, Maxwell tackles some firmly held beliefs - could the Earth be only 6,000 years old, and did humans and T-Rex really live side by side? It's a bumpy ride as he's confronted with some lively debates along the way, but by the end could he possibly win over any of these believers with what he regards as hard scientific fact?

Apologies if you can't watch it as it's UK BBC which is regional, but maybe it's on your TV or satellite or you're in UK or summat.

*9/11 show could have been a different series but same presenter and format.

Gordon wrote: »
    Am just watching this now: Conspiracy Road Trip: Creationism, haven't seen it yet so it may not actually be interesting stuff. But based on the last CRT type programme* about 9/11 bombings that saw a few tin foil hats change their opinions after meeting with architects, demolition workers, eyewitnesses, family members, it may be interesting stuff!

Apologies if you can't watch it as it's UK BBC which is regional, but maybe it's on your TV or satellite or you're in UK or summat.

*9/11 show could have been a different series but same presenter and format.
    Yeah, we were discussing it! http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81168879&utm_source=notification&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=notify#post81168879 Interesting alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Oops sorry, I did an inferior search, apologies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

223801.jpg

And now that I've taken a look at the website that image is from, I think I've found a new fave. Comic strip: (not a funny one so I'll leave it in this thread)
    653.jpg

Lovely, ta! Reminds me of Tim Minchin's "Storm"

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭muppeteer

http://www.technologyreview.com/view/429561/the-measurement-that-would-reveal-the-universe-as/
    The Measurement That Would Reveal The Universe As A Computer Simulation

If the cosmos is a numerical simulation, there ought to be clues in the spectrum of high energy cosmic rays, say theorists

Kinda cool. In a certain scenario we could determine if we are in a simulated universe. If so I hope the simulation isn't turned off too soon, I still have to finish Game of Thrones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Evolution Graph

I'm really disappointed with the performance of a few of the western European countries.

Austria seriously need to get their **** together.

Advertisement