Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shogun 2: Total War

• 15-03-2011 5:51pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, anyone picking this up today? I've been reading some reviews, and it's sounding a hell of a lot better then their last release. Shogun was probably my favourite of the series.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Forgot that this was out. I'll have to see about picking it up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I picked it up today and I'm getting these weird colours across the map :( looks terrible on my computer,I have gtx 260,maybe its time to upgrade.

shogun1.jpg

Tryed messing with the settings but it did'nt work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Polar101

Can I get the limited edition in shops, or was that just a pre-order thing?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Polar101 wrote: »

The limited edition, yes, the collectors: no. That was an online order only thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Polar101 wrote: »

Game sell the normal for 40, the limited edition for 45 and the collectors for 75

No preorder needed, they have them all in stock
    Pretty much the same prices everywhere, I checked HMV and I believe Gamestop have the same prices

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

I picked it up today and I'm getting these weird colours across the map :( looks terrible on my computer,I have gtx 260,maybe its time to upgrade.

Tryed messing with the settings but it did'nt work

Did you try updating your graphics drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Gah id love to play this, stupid college, and id probably need a big upgrade too.
    In 2 months maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I have to wait for my new PC to arrive, will hopefully be in 2 weeks.

i5 2500k, 2 X HD 6950 CF, 3 X 24" 1080p eyefinity, it's gonna be epic.

sink wrote: »
    I have to wait for my new PC to arrive, will hopefully be in 2 weeks.

My god :eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Think i'll pick it up myself on the way home tonight. If it's only an extra €5, then i think i'll get the limited edition.
    Jesus christ...i could win the lotto and i still wouldn't spend that much on a pc...actually, yeah i would, but still :eek:

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    Think i'll pick it up myself on the way home tonight. If it's only an extra €5, then i think i'll get the limited edition.

Jesus christ...i could win the lotto and i still wouldn't spend that much on a pc...actually, yeah i would, but still :eek:

The PC itself is coming to about €1100 and the monitors €460. I might add an SSD for €200. It costs less that you would think.

The PC itself is coming to about €1100 and the monitors €460. I might add an SSD for €200. It costs less that you would think.

Damn thats a good deal, costs less than a Mac with one monitor and one ****ty gfx card :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Spunge wrote: »
    Damn thats a good deal, costs less than a Mac with one monitor and one ****ty gfx card :pac:

Not really that good. I just built similar machine but with ssd for e1000, from hardwareversand.de. Crossfire is waste of money and doesn't work properly with a lot of games, better off just buying a 6970 instead. Also better off with a good IPS monitor, rather than 3xcheap 24".

And yes, I bought it mainly to play this game :)

srsly78 wrote: »
    Not really that good. I just built similar machine but with ssd for e1000, from hardwareversand.de. Crossfire is waste of money and doesn't work properly with a lot of games, better off just buying a 6970 instead. Also better off with a good IPS monitor, rather than 3xcheap 24".

And yes, I bought it mainly to play this game :)

Two HD 6950's blow one HD 6970 away, it even beats GTX 580 by a decent margin but is cheaper. I previously had dual 8800GTX and never came across a problem, the drivers kept improving all the time.

The performance increase is as high as 92%.
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/crossfire-sli-3-way-scaling,review-32141.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Was gonna buy this but.... Feel a bit jaded playing the same game, with a few tweaks on a different map. It's worse now we've finally gone full circle. I'm just waiting for Medieval 3, Rome 2 etc etc.

I've given up on TW series. They need to come up with something fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Two HD 6950's blow one HD 6970 away

Two 6950's blow one 6970 away easy, especially when you update both 6950's to 6970's using the firmware Hack lol.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

CrinkElite wrote: »
    Did you try updating your graphics drivers?

That sorted it I think....looks much better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Fun game tbh.

The battles are harder much easier to lose out right and get destroyed.They fixed the annoying empire regional village crap you can access every thing from the castle map however the change to no siege weapons/instant attack of towns/castles im unsure about it speeds things up but the ai isn't great at the whole idea of protecting their boarder towns with armys allowing you to steamroll the ai's citys fairly quickly if you have enough stacks and it doesn't give you much chance of fighting off a quick attack early in the game also the end game every one vrs you thing is annoying with out trade deals its very hard to keep your armys going at that point never mind building new ones.

But i find it fun far better than empire

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

couple of questions.....whats attacking a city like? Are the "forts" gone? is it back inside the city itself? is the AI pathing better?

Are naval battles still in it? I take it there is no gun powder whatsoever?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Kirby wrote: »
    couple of questions.....whats attacking a city like? Are the "forts" gone? is it back inside the city itself? is the AI pathing better?

Are naval battles still in it? I take it there is no gun powder whatsoever?

Basically you rock up to a city with your regular army attack the city and your presented with a fort or castle depending on upgrades every single one of your units is capable of scaling the walls of the castle or fort even your cavalry can dismount and do so the only real difference is the amount of walls / areas to take also castles have some token arrow emplacements which i dont recall forts having.

The ai itself seems better at getting around and sticking together even on the campaign map they often roam in more than 1 stack close together to provide support / overwhelm on the battle map they move and attack / counter attack as a group and not the individual units like rome where it was easy to separate them and destroy them notice they also hold good defensive positions and wont come off them.

There are gunpowder units you can import them after upgrading a trade port to a um fancy japanese named bigger trade port they take ages to train though 4 turns each you have basic "firebomb" units for land and sea as well im unsure about cannons haven't been bothered upgrading to much on those buildings.

And ya their are navy battles they still confuse the hell out of me and i still avoid them like the plague

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Never played Empire, but I loved Rome, Medieval 2 and Napoleon. Will end up getting Shogun 2 methinks, hope the ol' laptop can handle it!

The guys at twcenter.net and elsewhere are probably already working on a mod that will blow the original S2TW away :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 deansmith1994

I'm currently playing the avatar conquest but can't move to the final 3-4 provinces to capture them. They're across the sea and my army wont move there. See image. Anybody got any ideas? thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Hang on while i get my telescope...

Nope, still can't see it :pac:

can ya see it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭DaveDaRave

What the ****k screen is that? that doesnt look like my shogun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yeah, I'd never seen it before either

If you go into multiplayer it's some avatar campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭DaveDaRave

Ah, derp

It's the avatar conquest. WAAAY better than the campaign. You play online against others up to 4v4.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The avatar multiplayer is actually a lot of fun. By now my general is a thundering avatar of death that takes no penalties against spears. It's basically a mini-RPG.

Dean, I think you need to fight and win a naval battle between those two areas to move across. I was in the same boat as you, as you need to capture Shikoku for the bow hero, but honestly, screw naval battles, I didn't bother. No one bothers, so good luck finding an opponent.

Also, entirely off topic, but if your username is actually your full real name and your date of birth then I suggest making a new account...

• Advertisement

Ah, nice one, ill try that. That's not my real dob. Thanks Zilla

Advertisement