Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So... will you be buying a 3DS?

Options
  • 13-08-2011 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭

With the price drop of the 3DS is in full swing from this weekend and prices now as low as £115 on Amazon UK, it certainly looks like good value for a next-gen handheld that launched little over five months ago. Being a fan of the original DS, the temptation is certainly there to snap one up, yet for me I still feel hesitant about making the plunge.

Possibly the biggest factor, one I feel that most people on the fence would concur with, is the lack of games. Right now, the only game that really appeals to me is Zelda: OOT, although Starfox 64 3D will be with us next month. Despite the fact that I’d love to run through these “remakes” again, they are updates of games that I’ve played umpteen times before. I must be a sucker for nostalgia. :)

This concern is dimished somewhat when you think back to the launch window lineup for the original DS. I think the first DS game that I both enjoyed and found impressive was Kirby Canvas Curse, and that was released a good few months after launch. Over the years the DS ended up developing a solid library of games, and I’m optimistic the same will eventually happen for the 3DS. But is it better to be safe than sorry? What if you pick one up a system now and Nintendo decides to release an updated model down the line—by the time the library is beefed up—as we saw with both the Game Boy Advance and original DS?

The second factor—and one we’ll probably see improved if Nintendo does in fact decide to release an updated model—is the battery life. 3 to 5 hours of juice isn’t great, and would almost haunt you back to days of the Game Gear if the rechargeable lithium ion-battery wasn’t the norm, I remember the battery life of the DS Lite was much improved over the original DS, which was sub-par... perhaps due to the inability to adjust the levels of brightness. But it made all the difference: it was just one aspect that made the DS Lite far superior.

The final point, a first for a Nintendo handheld and one that really put me off when it was first revealed, is the region-lock. This has given me a dilemma as to whether to hold out for a North American 3DS, as there’s the possibility that quality games which get localised for those markets never make it to Europe-land, such as titles by smaller publishing arms like Aksys and Atlus. Or how about the titles that take an age to get released here? Times have definitely improved in that regard but there’s still the odd game that's left hanging. The whole region-lock issue has been made more difficult as Nintendo of Europe seems to take more initiative in localising games here, rather than always looking westward. Case in point: Last Window on the DS, the sequel to Hotel Dusk, saw release in Europe, and not in North America.

How about everyone else? Has anyone decided to splurge on one now, or plan to pick one up in the near future... or is holding out like myself? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

I plan on getting one in the coming months. That's only because my dslite is broken though. I'd have little interest if it still worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Maybe when a few more games are out or when the eShop is a bit better. I would love a full back catalog of games a la the App Store with older games for 99c. 99c would be fair for a GB or Nes Game, 1.79 for a SNES etc

It's not like it's not easy to get a card for the thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Had a launch one, sold it after I played through Zelda again. There's really still not much reason to own one.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I don't think I'll get a 3DS. For one, the 3D gives me a headache after about 10 minutes. The narrow viewing angle is a point of contention. I don't want to be the sap that plays a 3DS without the 3D, it's like watching your HDTV through a scart lead!

I don't want to be negative so i won't go into depth; but Kid Icarus is now the top reason I have to buy a 3DS; I only played Zelda : OoT a few years ago. Satiated by Mario games on the Wii and am currently let down by the Resi : Revelations game - it looks really uninspired.

My friend has one so I'll nab it off him whenever the new Zelda handheld comes out. Or the Professor Layton/Phoenix Wright game :) Bringing out old games isn't a buying point for me because they'd probably be cheaper on the old console or free via an emulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Dead or Alive: Dimensions is probably the only other game on the console worth getting, aside from Ghost Recon and Zelda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,117 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Not right now. I've kind of gone off handhelds. There's still games I want to get for my DS, but when I go looking and see they're still €30-€40, I hesitate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'll be picking up one when ever I get a job. However I'll be picking up one from the states. I'm not missing out on Atlus games.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

As soon as I have the money for it; haven't had a DS since the original (but don't want a DSi/XL as I want the 3DS features), so lack of 3DS games isn't an issue as there are plenty of DS games to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i had it prebooked on launch, but hen i checked release games i just canceled.

I allways wanted DS, but i newer got around to get one. there are really cool turn based strategy and rpg games.

i think i will pick up 3ds at some stage now when it costs like a handheld, not a proper console.

now is it me or ds and 3ds games are very expencive. even old ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Gonna wait for a revision and for the revision to get opened up. I'm hearing battery life is fairly poor and for the moment there's no hurry to get one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

I allways wanted DS, but i newer got around to get one. there are really cool turn based strategy and rpg games.

You don't have a DS, for shame:p
    The DS is one of the greatest consoles ever released the amount of excellent games available is staggering.
    I've had a DS since a few months after release and I'm still finding gems almost daily for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 socky2011

i think the 3DS could be great but imo it just doesn't have a good catalogue of games right now so I'm gonna wait a year or two before i decide on it

pdbhp wrote: »
    You don't have a DS, for shame:p
    The DS is one of the greatest consoles ever released the amount of excellent games available is staggering.
    I've had a DS since a few months after release and I'm still finding gems almost daily for it.

you can play all DS titles on 3DS? right?

i might pick it up and a few second hand ds games!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

you can play all DS titles on 3DS? right?

i might pick it up and a few second hand ds games!

Yep you can play DS games on 3DS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

The following comic pretty much sums up my opinion of mobile gaming.

I tried to be hopeful for the 3DS, and it arrived, and seems very lackluster. The PS Vita looks pretty amazing, but we'll have to wait and see how it pans out.

I used to be sure that phones would never replace dedicated mobile consoles. But now I'm not really certain. I've definitely spent much more time playing games on my Windows Phone than I have on my PSP or DS, which is saying something considering I've had the PSP and DS much longer.

i-GgW57X4-L.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Well I bought one on Tuesday night from Gamestop for €155 delivered. Arrived Thursday so I got it in time for the free software.

Have just bought OOT which I have never played due to never owning an N64 or Wii (played bits briefly on a friends N64 plus I've played through all the handheld Zeldas so I know I'll love it), also picked up Ghost Recon in HMV for €20. Gets solid reviews and some people seem to consider it the strongest launch title. Haven't played it yet (got it yesterday) but it looks similar to the W40k Squad Command game I played on the DS which had crap graphics but good gameplay, which I really enjoyed.

The onboard software is fun too, in particular Face Raiders is extremely entertaining. The AR stuff is and even just taking 3D photos of my kitchen is cool. The possibility of watching 3D films in future (if they go down that route) is cool.

I have quite a few DS games, I'll be finishing off Okamiden on my 3DS for example.

I am aware that the 3DS puts a certain strain on my eyes. It doesn't give me headaches, but the strain is definitely there. It isn't putting me off though.

Overall, has cost a bit over €200, but I have two new games which I'm eager to get into properly, a few coming out which I'm eagerly anticipating, the free software coming soon, and plenty of DS games to play on it, and solid onboard software.

So I'm happy :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'll be picking up one when ever I get a job. However I'll be picking up one from the states. I'm not missing out on Atlus games.

I'll be picking one up in chicago in november :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Probably not. The game line up just isn't there. I love Ocarina to death but I'm not buying a machine for just one game.

The price drop won't make much of a difference to the success of the 3DS. There will be a spike for about two months because the of the price drop and then it will fall way back again.

The reason it is failing is two fold. Firstly, there aren't enough quality titles. They should've learned by now tbh. With any new console, in the first two months we should see a mario title, zelda title, and mario kart title. They will ship units.

Secondly, and I would wager more importantly, the 3DS hasn't been cracked yet. It's anti-piracy security is quite robust. The DS sold so well because it was easy to crack and the world and his brother had "R4" cards. The low attachment rate of games to DS sales would back this up.

PC gaming sales have declined quite alot but people still buy the enthusiast hardware for thousands to play them. People aren't buying the games but are buying the new graphics cards every six months. Wii games were constantly in bargain bins and yet the console was selling amazingly. Bottom line, piracy hurts software sales but drives hardware sales quite well.

The Wii, DS, and 360 were all easy to crack. The PS3 was not. The ps3 sold the worst for the first several years. It's not a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Kirby wrote: »
    PC gaming sales have declined quite alot but people still buy the enthusiast hardware for thousands to play them. People aren't buying the games but are buying the new graphics cards every six months. Wii games were constantly in bargain bins and yet the console was selling amazingly. Bottom line, piracy hurts software sales but drives hardware sales quite well.
    PC game sales are up considerably from everything I hear, its the just the retail market that has tumbled. The Wii is aimed at a completely different market, the casual market. They're much more likely to buy a cheap Wii on impulse with a game then leave it sit under the TV without buying much else.
    Kirby wrote: »
    The Wii, DS, and 360 were all easy to crack. The PS3 was not. The ps3 sold the worst for the first several years. It's not a coincidence.

The PS3 sold terribly cause it launched at €600 with very little software, sales picked up dramatically once the software came and the price dropped.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

If Majora's Mask came out on the 3DS I'd certainly consider picking one up. I played OoT to death but never got around to MM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I don't want to be the sap that plays a 3DS without the 3D

every single person i know who has a 3ds plays it without the 3d, because the 3d is shìt

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The 3DS is like someone handing you the keys to a pub but the only thing inside to drink is lemonade.

The 3DS is like someone handing you the keys to a pub but the only thing inside to drink is lemonade.

Not even lemonade, but some nice wine which was made 10 years ago and now turned to vinegar or it is still a wine, but you are sick of it and want something fresh and new.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭bigwormbundoran

I havent had a portable console since the original gameboy advance, may take the plunge for this however seeing as the price has became rather appealing to my eye, seeing as i never had a DS of any description before, id be happy enough to sit using the old back catalogue and wait for the better 3D titles that will inevitably arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Lemonade in the bar, but a treasure trove of really great old stuff in the cellar if you're willing to look past the lemonade. :o

Advertisement