Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 suck

• 25-06-2005 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

if you have a tiket for the upper cusack stand then sell it or bring a walk man.

Sound was terrible.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

And this U2's fault how?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Yeah , it was their peoples fault

Tour manager, Croke Park manager....

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Ring Principle management and complain .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

sharkman wrote:
    Ring Principle management and complain .

i doubt they will give a sh1t - money is in the bank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

Dopey wrote:
    if you have a tiket for the upper cusack stand then sell it or bring a walk man.

Sound was terrible.....

There is always going to be teething problems with sound on the first night of an event like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Dopey

Are you kidding me? U2 have a sound engineer that is supposed to ensure adequate sound in a concert. I'm not just talking about good sound. At a minimum you should be able to work out what the lead singer is saying when he's speaking.

Putting the blame on Croagh Park is shifting it to someone else. U2 made the decision to play there. I paid 80 Euro for my U2 ticket and I feel ripped off.

Dopey

Fact of the matter dopey is that last night was the first time that a concert of that size with almost 80,000 people in the recently finished croke park took place, it was a new experience for everyone.

Its all well and good getting a good sound during a sound check when the stadium is empty but its a totally different ball game when you have 80,000 people arriving into the venue.

I would be surprised if the sound was equally as bad tonight.

As someone already suggested, contact the promoters if you want a refund, good luck getting anything from MCD though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

Dopey wrote:
    Are you kidding me? U2 have a sound engineer that is supposed to ensure adequate sound in a concert. I'm not just talking about good sound. At a minimum you should be able to work out what the lead singer is saying when he's speaking.

Putting the blame on Croagh Park is shifting it to someone else. U2 made the decision to play there. I paid 80 Euro for my U2 ticket and I feel ripped off.

Dopey

Exactly, and I speak as a long-term fan (see my user-name)

• Advertisement

bucks wrote:
    There is always going to be teething problems with sound on the first night of an event like this.

That's not good enough TBH. How many people can afford to go to 2 or 3 nights? There have been sound problems at other concerts in the tour I have heard.

I honestly would have been happier spending the night in the pub and then going home to watch my ZooTV video from Sydney 1993.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,424 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

There have been sound problems at other concerts in the tour I have heard.
    Correction
    There have been sound problems at All the outdoor concerts on the tour.
    Its a shambles .
    I have a ticket for Monday but I dont think I'll go as the show is so bad.
    I actually got more enjoyment out of listening to U2 live from Twickenham on the radio that I did seeing the show .
    Imagine paying 140 Euro for a seat over 1oo yds away listening to that crap sound ,as people in th UK did .
    Leaves a bitter taste in the mouth.
    Seems U2 can do no wrong though as the media here are in their pocket.
    By the way I'm a big fan ,all the albums ,every tour since 87.
    Pull up your socks Bono and give us what we want and no one gets hurt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Sheesh. Sounds like a pretty raw deal. My other half is getting in tonight free and my bro-n-sis-in-law got into a corporate box so it'll be interesting to see how that goes. Mind you, I hear that one of the corporate boxes won't be able to see the stage. The bloke in question was overjoyed at getting the ticket until somebody pointed out the fine print. I've only been to one big gig and that was Radiohead in the RDS about 13 years ago. It was great. But I've been to see Neil Finn over the years and the Finn Brothers w/ Nick Seymour (effectively Crowded House without Paul Hester) this week in the Olympia and I'd gladly have swapped 10 U2/Croker tickets for front row at the Olympia by the accounts given here of last night's show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

I have a theory on this. Did anyone here go to the Ardgillan castle gigs or any Slane gig? Outdoor gigs in non-populated areas work better because you don't have to worry about upsetting the neighbours. I would imagine the Croke Park Residents Association have something in the contract for the gigs about not being too loud.

Apparantly, the sound system on tour with U2 is a 250k (250,000 watts) rig. That is way more than what is needed to fill Croke Park. The rig in Vicar street is in the order of 8000 watts I believe. They have more than enough power, they just couldn't use it.

You could blame the residents association, you could blame Croke Park management, but ultimately the blame should lie with Principal Management, or whoever made the decision to have the gigs in Croke Park. They should be playing somewhere like the Pheonix Park, or the Abbottstown stadium...

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Evil Sausage

Trust me, the sound was loud enough. I live on just off O'Connell St and was able to make out all the songs last night. I could even hear the crowd singing along.

There was no way they were keeping the noise down for the neighbours!

As a matter of fact, I expect to hear them starting any minute now!!

They should be playing somewhere like the Pheonix Park, or the Abbottstown stadium...
    Or what would be cool would be a boat in the middle of Dun Laoghaire harbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I agree that there are close to no good sound engineers in this country.

Elevation sounded pretty good from 2 miles away!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

That may be sausage, but over a distance like that, all the crap can be filtered out of the sound byt the time it reaches you.

Croke Park was definetly a bad venue for this.
    The main reason for bad sound was the stadium and the positioning of the stage.

Now without having seen the PA spec im only guessing this from looking at pics and video footage.

Having located the main stack and stage at one end of the field resulted in significant losses of sound quality due to the distance the sound must travel before reaching the majority of listeners (those at the rear in the stands). Factors like humidity can significantly attenuate the higher frequencies, while thermal conditions and wind can cause sound to fade in and out, or to "swirl". Also the distance the sound has to travel can result in a delay of up to 0.5 seconds.

U2 would have picked this option as it requires less speakers, amps, cabling and all other associated costs.

As croke park is an inclosed venue it would have a lot of areas where the sound could reverberate resulting in a "messy" sound.

Did anyone notice how many delay stacks were located down the pitch and was there any pointing up into the stands?

In the end croke park to the promoters was a much easier venue to handle and the costs involved compared to an outdoor gig like slane would be much less, also it would have taken less time to set up with more financial gain.

• Advertisement

Or what would be cool would be a boat in the middle of Dun Laoghaire harbour.
    Ha you just know some fúker would park his boat right infront of them :p
    D4 richkid#672 perhaps?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

U2 should go away and die slowly in their own homes.
    Not in my face.

they mattered once....

dregin wrote:
    U2 should go away and die slowly in their own homes.
    Not in my face.

they mattered once....
    No gonna go down well...

That may be sausage, but over a distance like that, all the crap can be filtered out of the sound byt the time it reaches you.

Ahh yeah I know, but Im just being a pr1ck here, probably gettin as good a show as those poor fellas in the canal end!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭TheStrandRoads

I'm not a big fan of U2, it has to be said. But a friend of mine had a spare ticket at the last minute yesterday, so I went along. And I have to say, the show was very entertaining. Besides the music itself, the visuals were stunning, and are not likely to be reproduced (to the same scale) by any other band this decade. It must have cost a pretty penny.

It was also a great boost for Live8.

Rant over.

Funny link (remember, I'm not a fan);

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=11worst

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

I'm tired of people saying how great u2 are, how they're the biggest/best band..BULL****. Last outdoor gig i was at was metallica and the sound there was perfect. And now heres U2 playing their home gig and can't be arsed to get the sound right. They have their heads so far stuck up their asses that they probably don't notice the sound.

In all fairness, should the thread be re-titled to U2 Sound Engineers suck. In an organsiation like that I doubt the band are on first-name terms with the engineers responsible.

Last outdoor gig i was at was metallica and the sound there was perfect.

If that's the case I agree with your other comments. I'm not in the humour for making excuses for U2 at this point. But I won't be throwing away my CD's just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Why didnt they just play in Marley park, way more space and sound wont reverb, plus i might hear it easier where i live :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

In all fairness, should the thread be re-titled to U2 Sound Engineers suck. In an organsiation like that I doubt the band are on first-name terms with the engineers responsible.

Well it appears that they've had the same guy for the last 20 years so would hope they do know his name...and there is what 80 guys in the crew? if your on tour with them all the time is can't be hard to know their names. And any metallica know pretty much everyone on their team....

Advertisement