Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Perhaps. But even if it isn't true, Nolan is going to have to establish most of it within the film anyway. Either he explains it all in dialogue (unlikely) or he does a flashback. We already know there's going to be flashbacks. It would make sense to get them out of the way in the prologue. That's what prologues are usually used for.

All the talk of mirroring just screams Nolan imo. It's exactly the type of thing he would do. And it's probably the best way to really connect Bane to Batman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

It seems underwhelming, but if I was asked about the TDK prologue, I would have said underwhelming too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭ADarkKnight88

Seems like a lot for 6 minutes really

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Seems like a lot for 6 minutes really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

id rather see batman get his back broken in the prologue. but my gut feeling thinks the bane back story will be the prologue.

also i read this morning that christian bale said this will be his last performance as batman. gutted after hearing it i thought he was a fantastic batman and even better bruce wayne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

I like that prologue and is considerably more plausible than batman getting his back broken. Batma. Getting his back broken would really have had to happen at the end of the TDK.
    On saying that, I'd live to see the breaking of the bat, but it would be purely wishful thinking. I am curious as to what Chris Nolan means when he says that batman is in a bad state?!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

New trailer will be released around Christmas

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The SHH user who originally posted the earlier prologue description has since received a more detailed one, but they are refusing to post it. However, they have pm'd it to a few people and apparently it's nothing like the previous description. According to this new one, the prologue consists of
    Bane hijacking a plane intercut with flashbacks of him climbing out of a well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

ricero wrote: »
    also i read this morning that christian bale said this will be his last performance as batman. gutted after hearing it i thought he was a fantastic batman and even better bruce wayne

I have mixed feelings about this. I think Bale is an excellent Batman but so far we've been treated to two excellent Batman films with him as the star. Hopefully the third and final one will be to the same standard.

With that trilogy completed I'm happy enough for it to end there. Any more films and the standard would probably drop considerably. And the last thing I'd want to see is Bale as Batman in a film directed by someone other than Nolan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Gah, I give up on these supposed leaked prologue descriptions; no point, too many contradictions to guess which one is the realdeal (if any). Simply going to sit tight until the actual thing appears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭splashthecash

When is MI4: Ghost Prototol out in IMAX?? Then finally we can put an end to this incessant pondering on this prologue...

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ronoc 1

theres an interesting article on cracked.com where the writer believes bruce wayne will die in the film.he explains his reasons by citing references from other nolan films.I think the writer is reading too much into it but its a good read all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

ronoc 1 wrote: »
    theres an interesting article on cracked.com where the writer believes bruce wayne will die in the film.he explains his reasons by citing references from other nolan films.I think the writer is reading too much into it but its a good read all the same.

Lol was just gonna link that http://www.cracked.com/blog/advanced-batman-theory-why-nolan-will-kill-bruce-wayne/

There's a lot of rubbish in that article, but he does make a few good points. We're all assuming that if the back-breaking happens it will happen early in the film and the remainder will focus on Batman "rising" again", hence the title. But I guess it's also possible the film will end with Batman getting his back broken and a new Dark Knight rising in his place, bringing the story full circle.

So it's not beyond the realm of possibility that Nolan is being a bit shifty with the "rises" in the title and this film is actually about the fall of Batman and the beginning of a new dark knight. But if that is the case, I seriously doubt JGL is it. Selina/Catwoman seems a more likely candidate given that her backstory mirrors Bruce's to a large degree. The problem with this is that it doesn't fit with the Gordon's comments in the trailers. But it's possible Batman has actually been MIA for those 8 years and that's what Gordon is referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

But I guess it's also possible the film will end with Batman getting his back broken and a new Dark Knight rising in his place, bringing the story full circle.

While the studio would love it, I can't see Nolan finishing with a new Batman taking over from Wayne. It undermines Bruce's arc and it would be incredibly difficult to pull off without coming across as a cop out. I'd imagine Nolan wants a definitive end to this as well in order to cement his ownership of these movies and wouldn't want to make things too easy for WB to possibly taint his vision. Having a new Bats at the end of TDKR is essentially giving a blessing to future non Nolan movies to operate in his Gotham. Wouldn't surprise me if WB tried to go down on some sort of John-Paul Valley route at some stage.

Well, I said a new "dark knight", not a new Batman. I don't really like this idea either as I think Batman's presence has made matters worse. As we saw in TDK, people like the Joker feed off him. Nevertheless, the end of TDK seemed to suggest that Gotham does need someone like him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

i wonder if the joker will be mentioned in the scheme of things. i think a decent reference should be given.

also heard the new rumored prologue has a scene which is reminiscent of a stunning scene in inception

• Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That's been known ffor a while, last Bale batman, last Nolan Batman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Mellor wrote: »
    That's been known ffor a while, last Bale batman, last Nolan Batman

Thats the thing. Will it be the last for both? ;) You know Hollywood.
    I mean there are already talks of a Batman reboot in 2015. Who is to say either one dont get offered mental amount of money to change their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

LighterGuy wrote: »
    I mean there are already talks of a Batman reboot in 2015.

I am fairly certain that DC and Warner want the reboot to lead into a possible Justice League film, in which case, the new version of Batman will be more like the comic and need to co-exist in a world with Superman. That is why I don't think they will use Nolan's universe.

If one were to come back, it would be Nolan, as he is already involved in the new Superman film. But, I think he would have a similar role on the Batman reboot [producer].

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Otacon wrote: »
    I am fairly certain that DC and Warner want the reboot to lead into a possible Justice League film, in which case, the new version of Batman will be more like the comic and need to co-exist in a world with Superman. That is why I don't think they will use Nolan's universe.

If one were to come back, it would be Nolan, as he is already involved in the new Superman film. But, I think he would have a similar role on the Batman reboot [producer].

I would be delighted if this happened with Nolan as producer. From the sound of Snyder's Superman so far it will be more set in the DC universe. Nolan's Batman trilogy will be thing on its own which can be enjoyed again and again, much better than someone just doing an inferior sequel, I'm fairly excited that a reboot could lead to seeing the DC universe on the big screen properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

i wonder if the joker will be mentioned in the scheme of things. i think a decent reference should be given.

Due to the 8 year gap I think there's a fair of chance of his name being mentioned as being a constant pain in the hole for Bruce.
    also heard the new rumored prologue has a scene which is reminiscent of a stunning scene in inception

Yup, it involves
    Bane and a plane
    apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Is there going to be a 7min trailer being released in January?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

Otacon wrote: »
    QUOTE]

The Batman-Superman team up project was mentioned for years in the Hollywood Land before stalling (there is even a visual reference in I am Legend on one of the billboards in the deserted New York scenes).

The much oft mentioned reboot will be done in an attempt to get the DC Universe's main characters together in one movie (IMHO). The Marvel guys have already managed to do this with the upcoming "Avengers" movie. Of course this plan does rely on "The Man Of Steel" movie being a success. It also gives Warners/DC a chance to finally get other major characters up on the big screen (The Flash, Wonder Woman etc).

You also have to wonder of the general public will react positively to a rebooted Batman so soon after Nolan's trilogy wraps? The upcoming Spider-Man reboot will test the waters as it looks like this going back over ground already covered in Sam Raimi's three movies (origin story, high school setting and so on). If the Batman story is rebooted,one thing is certain, it will be a very different animal to what we have seen so far (and are yet to see in the DKR movie).

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

phil1nj wrote: »

The Batman-Superman team up project was mentioned for years in the Hollywood Land before stalling (there is even a visual reference in I am Legend on one of the billboards in the deserted New York scenes).

The much oft mentioned reboot will be done in an attempt to get the DC Universe's main characters together in one movie (IMHO). The Marvel guys have already managed to do this with the upcoming "Avengers" movie. Of course this plan does rely on "The Man Of Steel" movie being a success. It also gives Warners/DC a chance to finally get other major characters up on the big screen (The Flash, Wonder Woman etc).

You also have to wonder of the general public will react positively to a rebooted Batman so soon after Nolan's trilogy wraps? The upcoming Spider-Man reboot will test the waters as it looks like this going back over ground already covered in Sam Raimi's three movies (origin story, high school setting and so on). If the Batman story is rebooted,one thing is certain, it will be a very different animal to what we have seen so far (and are yet to see in the DKR movie).

Wolfgang Peterson had actually started pre-production work on that Superman/Batman movie iirc.

If they reboot there's no ned to go over the origins again, but then a logical human being would have thought that would be the case with Man of Steel and Amazing Spider-Man also :mad:

Warning! Spoiler revealed from the Empire Magazine DKR article
    The Movie is set 8 years after the dark knight

Interesting ..

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Warning! Spoiler revealed from the Empire Magazine DKR article
    The Movie is set 8 years after the dark knight

Interesting ..

Mentioned numerous times already. :D

phil1nj wrote: »
    Mentioned numerous times already. :D

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :(
    I wanted my moment :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

If the full script to TDKR was posted online now, would you read it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Nope, absolutely not. I feel bad enough looking at the set photos, seeing some of the epic spectacle a little tarnished by being spoiled - there's no way I'd completely nuke the experience by reading a script.

Advertisement