Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book Crossing website www.bookcrossing.com

• 28-04-2010 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

Thanks to posters on the Literature forum, I found this site. www.bookcrossing.com
    I have many books (find it hard to stop buying them) so I regularly have to clear them out, usually to charity. However, I love this whole idea of leaving books around, for other people to find and enjoy. I know that some of the libraries in Dublin are using this e.g. Blanch library.

I just found out that Dublin are trying to hold a Book Crossing convention in 2012, & that sounds really interesting.

Are there any other Book Crossing members here in boards.ie? Do you get to meet up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

I think all Fingal Libraries are using Book Crossing. Its very cool and you can pick up some real gems.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Thanks very much for that. I'll definitely leave a few books all around Fingal!

Are there any coffee shops/other businesses who would be willing to become a Book Crossing site? Preferably in Dublin city? It would be good for your business as it would encourage us book lovers to come in & drink coffee?

I think there is a drop off point in the Long Stone pub off Tara St. so I might check it out.

What happens is you register your book online, then "set it free" so that some one else can pick it up & pass it on. Your book might travel the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭bullpost

I'm a member but haven't got around to freeing any books yet. Must make an effort now to pick one and get the ball rolling.

I got my stickers/bags from the website, so no excuses now. I'll post here whenever I "set a book free". It might encourage other book lovers to join up!

Happy reading!

These books were recently released:

Released on Tuesday 11/5/10 around Christchurch, Dublin 8 area-
    Art of Travel by Alain DeBotton
    One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson
    A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Tolz

Will be released tomorrow around Marrowbone Lane, Dublin 8:
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
    The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson
    The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson

If you come across one of these books, please read, enjoy & pass the book on. If possible please update a journal entry on the website.

• Advertisement

I just finished this book this morning, "The Little Stranger" by Sarah Waters. I plan to release it around Dublin city this week. Any suggestions as to a location where I might leave it? It might help you catch it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

I just finished this book this morning, "The Little Stranger" by Sarah Waters. I plan to release it around Dublin city this week. Any suggestions as to a location where I might leave it? It might help you catch it!
    try a train station , or some where where alot of comuters are going pass by

Thanks for that. I thought someone was going to give me a specific location, so that I could make sure they got the book safely. Ah well, I'll keep trying....
    Any takers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

You also might like Bookswap which is an Irish site in case there's not many on that other site:
    http://bookswap.ie :)

Thanks for that, I had a look at the website. Though I think I'll stick with bookcrossing for now, as I don't need any more books.

I can't believe none of you wants a free book!

OK, book will be released tomorrow, in Jury's Inn, Christchurch. You had your chance!

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 328 Verified rep BlanchLibrary

Fingal Libraries are indeed Bookcrossers!

Here in Blanchardstown Library we have a shelf in the lobby with free books on it, which is proving to be very popular with our borrowers!

Here's the link to our bookshelf
    http://www.bookcrossing.com/mybookshelf

Malahide, Baldoyle, Howth, Balbriggan & Swords Libraries all Bookcross too - feel free to leave a book on one of their shelves!

There is a very active Dublin Bookcrossing group who meet up in Dublin regularly. You could probably locate their details on the Bookcrossing Forums.

Very interesting to hear that there are attempts being made to hold a Bookcrossing Convention in Dublin 2012!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

My local pub operates a similar type of initiative. Basically, people leave unwanted books in the backroom for people to browse and bring home if they want to - they only ask that you pay a euro, which goes to charity.

Good way to get rid of books or pick one or two up on the cheap. Plus, having a few piles of books around the place really adds to the ambiance, I think that more pubs should do this.

Where is that pub?

The Long Stone pub in Townsend St./junction of Tara St. Dublin is an official Book Crossing Zone. You can pick up books for free! The only thing we ask is that you register on the website and tell us you found the book.

The Dublin Book Crossers meet once a month in the Long Stone. PM me if you want more information.

If I hear any more about the Book Crossing Convention 2012, I'll post here. Dublin is waiting to hear if we are sucessful, as a venue, to hold the convention. Then you can all come along and find out.

In the meantime, have a look at the website, it's pretty cool!

Thanks to Blanch Library, they are very good Book Crossers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

The Cedar Lounge in Raheny. Cheers, might do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mackthefinger

Thanks for reminding me of bookcrossing. Joined a few years
    ago and released a few books into the 'wild' in Dublin. Don't
    think they travelled far, but theres always the hope they'll
    turn up somewhere else. A great idea, and I must label a few
    more books and get them out there.

The next meeting of Dublin Bookcrossers is next week, on Tuesday. Meetings are usually in the Long Stone pub, Townsend St. pm me for more info.

There is a book shelf in the pub where any of you are free to take a free book. All we ask is that you register a comment/journal on the website

www.bookcrossing.com

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

There's a Douglas and Kaldi cafe in Rathborne D15, and I see they have books 'free to take' there - is this an official bookcrossing zone? I registered with Bookcrossing years ago, but havent released any books in ages, and I have a bag of books ready to be released now.
    It's time to re-kindle this activity for me I think!

Hi Gaspode,
    It's not an ofiicial bookcrossing zone. The only official one I know of is in the Long Stone pub. If I were you, I'd release your books there. This is because other bookcrossers will pick up your books & they are more likely to be well read & looked after.

I would love it if there were more official book crossing zones. Is there any chance that Douglas & Kaldi could be persuaded to become a zone?

I might try & have a word, as it would increase their business anyway.

Please let us know when you are about to release your books, I'd love to catch one!

Edit:

I just found out from the website www.bookcrossing.com
    that Douglas & Kaldi In Ongar, Dublin 15, is an official Book Crossing Zone. So it looks like we might have a case for asking Douglas & Kaldi in Rathbourne to become a OBCZ (Official Bookcrossing Zone).

I'll keep you posted.

Does anyone else know of places in Dublin that would be willing to become OBCZ's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I joined this a month ago, it's great. I released my first book in Dublin airport, and it was picked up by an American tourist and then released in Edinbourgh!

I'm going to release two books in Geneva this weekend...

Gaspode wrote: »
    There's a Douglas and Kaldi cafe in Rathborne D15, and I see they have books 'free to take' there - is this an official bookcrossing zone? I registered with Bookcrossing years ago, but havent released any books in ages, and I have a bag of books ready to be released now.
    It's time to re-kindle this activity for me I think!
    Hi again Gaspode,

I went into the Douglas & Kaldi in Rathborne, and the lovely manager there agreed that we could use it as an Official Book Crossing Zone (OBCZ). I just have to e-mail HQ to get the "All clear". In the meantime you could leave your books there, as they have a shelf, to encouage customers to take a book/leave a book. I toook a few books to register, & will leave them back. It might take me a while to register them all!

If you want any labels/stickers, give me a shout.

Also the D&K branch in Dundrum Shopping Centre operates this book shelf, so I'm hoping to persuade them to become a Book Crossing Zone too.

I'd love to get a few more BC Zones in the city centre, so I'll keep trying.

Edit:

The Douglas & Kaldi in Ongar already is a BC Zone.

• Advertisement

I joined this a month ago, it's great. I released my first book in Dublin airport, and it was picked up by an American tourist and then released in Edinbourgh!

I'm going to release two books in Geneva this weekend...
    That's great news! Glad to hear your books are travelling so widely! Do you have a link to your Bookcrossing page? I'd love to see it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Hi again Gaspode,

I went into the Douglas & Kaldi in Rathborne, and the lovely manager there agreed that we could use it as an Official Book Crossing Zone (OBCZ). I just have to e-mail HQ to get the "All clear". In the meantime you could leave your books there, as they have a shelf, to encouage customers to take a book/leave a book. I toook a few books to register, & will leave them back. It might take me a while to register them all!

If you want any labels/stickers, give me a shout.

Also the D&K branch in Dundrum Shopping Centre operates this book shelf, so I'm hoping to persuade them to become a Book Crossing Zone too.

I'd love to get a few more BC Zones in the city centre, so I'll keep trying.

Edit:

The Douglas & Kaldi in Ongar already is a BC Zone.

Thanks for the info. I'm away for a few days, but I'll drop some up next week.
    I'll drop off a few more at the library as well, see if any get registered and go travelling.

Gaspode wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. I'm away for a few days, but I'll drop some up next week.
    I'll drop off a few more at the library as well, see if any get registered and go travelling.
    Is that Blanchardstown library? They are really good at Book Crossing & everything! I cannot understand why the libraries in Dublin City don't get into Book Crossing (I've asked them).

Do visit Blanch library if anyone wants a book, they have a shelf in the library. All the other libraries in Fingal have a shelf also, as far as I'm aware. I'm looking forward to visiting Rush library, I hear it's been refurbished beautifully.

I had a great day today & released 2 books in Belfast. I'm definitely going to do more of these "wild releases from now on!

Though I bought another 9 books in Belfast, couldn't resist the prices. So that kinda defeats the purpose, of my trying to get rid of books! It will take me years to read them all.

My bookcrossing bookshelf is here:
    http://www.bookcrossing.com/mybookshelf

More good news:
    The official Book Crossers Convention will be held in Dublin in 2012, from 13th - 15th April.

http://www.bcdublin2012.com/

Details about venues and activities will follow.

• Company Representative Posts: 328 Verified rep BlanchLibrary

Is that Blanchardstown library? They are really good at Book Crossing & everything! I cannot understand why the libraries in Dublin City don't get into Book Crossing (I've asked them).

Do visit Blanch library if anyone wants a book, they have a shelf in the library. All the other libraries in Fingal have a shelf also, as far as I'm aware. I'm looking forward to visiting Rush library, I hear it's been refurbished beautifully.

Hi "Travel is Good"!

Glad to hear you know about the Bookcrossing shelf in Blanchardstown Library.

Our main problem here in the Library is that we can not keep the bookshelf filled - the bookcrossing books are literally taken off the shelves the moment they are placed there!!!! Not a bad complaint to have! :)

Happy Bookcrossing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Just registered. Noticed a few users from Limerick City. Might release a book there soon. Great idea. :D

Hi there Ron,

We just had our annual Book Crossers day out to Limerick there about 2 weeks ago. We had a lovely day in Limerick. " Book Crossers from Limerick met us and showed us around your lovely city. We were all really impressed by the great 2nd hand book shop in St. Catherine St. Also the food market, lovely cafes/restaurants - a real buzz about the place.

I'm sure the Limerick Book Crossers would love to meet you. they are just trying to build up the Book crossing community there.

Please pm me if you'd like me to put you in touch with them - they're lovely people!

Hi "Travel is Good"!

Glad to hear you know about the Bookcrossing shelf in Blanchardstown Library.

Our main problem here in the Library is that we can not keep the bookshelf filled - the bookcrossing books are literally taken off the shelves the moment they are placed there!!!! Not a bad complaint to have! :)

Happy Bookcrossing!

I wonder how many people register them though with Bookcrossing - I suspect some people just grab the free books and run!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Snap Happy

Mulligans Stonebatter are now hosting bookcrossing book

*- http://www.lmulligangrocer.com/ -*

If your looking for a book to read drop in and see what's there.
    If you want drop off a book or 2 while your there

http://www.bookcrossing.com/hunt/13/2031/68199/635573

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,000 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I found a bookcrossing book really in the wild, in the cafe at Ladies View Killarney. It was lying on a table so it couldn't have been there long, but I had seen the website so I knew what it was. I was ridiculously thrilled about it, registered it, read it and released it, but I don't think it got much further.

Advertisement