Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cecelia Ahern Rant

• 30-07-2015 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

I discovered the other day that Cecelia Ahern wrote a Doctor Who book.

In case you're wondering, I am quite the Who fan. I had heard that her writing was severely lacking in any kind of talent, so I downloaded the sample on Kindle.

Her grammar and punctuation is either non-existent or incorrect, she's obviously never seen an episode of Dr. Who, and her writing style is appallingly bad.

So, I guess she got where she did cos of her background, but

1. I wonder why people take her seriously, and
    2. hate the fact that she got to write (and destroy) a Dr. Who book

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭nc6000

If people weren't buying her books they wouldn't be published.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Runner Mojo

nc6000 wrote: »
    If people weren't buying her books they wouldn't be published.

People buy any old crap when a ton of money is put behind its marketing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Rabo Karabekian

Her grammar and punctuation is either non-existent or incorrect, she's obviously never seen an episode of Dr. Who, and her writing style is appallingly bad.

How is the writing style of the TV series tie-in normally?

(I'm sure she's watched an episode or two of the very popular Doctor Who, if not before she was commissioned to write a cheap tie-in, but definitely after. Also, grammar and punctuation are editorial issues, which I would assume is the fault of whichever publishing house is doing the Doctor Who books).

How is the writing style of the TV series tie-in normally?

(I'm sure she's watched an episode or two of the very popular Doctor Who, if not before she was commissioned to write a cheap tie-in, but definitely after. Also, grammar and punctuation are editorial issues, which I would assume is the fault of whichever publishing house is doing the Doctor Who books).

Well, there are various writing styles for the series cos a lot of writers have been commissioned to write DW, but none have tried to achieve the poetic 19th century prose that CA attempted. She got so lost in her sentences that she describes stuff but forgets to actually include the noun to give us a hint what exactly she's talking about.

The subject came up over the weekend as my missus and my mother both said they loved the PS I love You movie, but then tried to read the book and couldn't get past page 10 or 11.

We all had a read of the first few pages of the DW sample on Kindle and at least my horror was shared when they couldn't figure out why there were commas thrown in to make sentences read like a Dickens' opening paragraph, a weird lack of them that made sentences stumble into each other, and as I said, a lack of nouns to explain what exactly she was describing a couple of times.

I was also glad it wasn't just me who felt annoyed that she probably thinks of herself as a good writer because her money and influence got her so many book sales.

What I didn't know, but was reliably informed of by the political correspondent in our family, was that the US readers thought they were getting an inside scoop on the break up of her parents' marriage when they read the title - the scandal of which went towards a lot of sales before they realised it was nothing of the kind. At which point the tidal wave of sales propelled the book into the public awareness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Rabo Karabekian

I had a whole response done, until I realised my sarcasm detector is probably not working today.

I like it, though. Ahern with aspirations to Dickens-esque prose! A fan of Doctor Who novels (y'know, dodgy novels written to tie-in to a fairly cheesy TV series) complaining about Ahern's writing style! And then a 'political correspondent' friend telling you that he knows what was going on in the minds of all the people in America who bought Ahern's book (because Bertie's marriage is a known driver of book sales in America). Y'know, despite the book being categorised as fiction.

It is normal to end sarcastic posts with something like ;) or :D (for future reference).

• Advertisement

I had a whole response done, until I realised my sarcasm detector is probably not working today.

I like it, though. Ahern with aspirations to Dickens-esque prose! A fan of Doctor Who novels (y'know, dodgy novels written to tie-in to a fairly cheesy TV series) complaining about Ahern's writing style! And then a 'political correspondent' friend telling you that he knows what was going on in the minds of all the people in America who bought Ahern's book (because Bertie's marriage is a known driver of book sales in America). Y'know, despite the book being categorised as fiction.

It is normal to end sarcastic posts with something like ;) or :D (for future reference).

Ha ha :D

We all had a read of the first few pages of the DW sample on Kindle and at least my horror was shared when they couldn't figure out why there were commas thrown in to make sentences read like a Dickens' opening paragraph
    All because of dodgy syntax? Your mother & your wife must be of a very nervous disposition.

All because of dodgy syntax? Your mother & your wife must be of a very nervous disposition.

lol - it was also my wife and mother who were astonished at her lack of ability to string coherent sentences together. Before responding - go read some of her sh!te - the proof is in the pudding :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Got an example? I'm curios to see it now.
    The "look inside" only shows me the start of the book which is by a different author.

Advertisement