Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The emergence of the extreme right in Ireland...

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The Irish Nationalist side are not extreme right wingers where the Loyalist side include some of the most right wing individuals in all of the UK.

IIRC the largest single branch of the UK National Front ( back 30 years ago) was in Coleraine.

But Irish nationalism is not really right wing. Right wingers are not particularly Irish Nationalist either...it is more internationalist and mesoscaled by skin colour or economic standpoint.

The people behind the two groups I've mentioned above, seem to be conveniently forgetting that human life didn't start here in Ireland so in order for them to be here today, at some stage or another in their family lineage, someone had to up sticks from somewhere else and cross the pond to get here!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I wouldn't be surprised if any Irish far-right movement in the future were staunchly Catholic. As the Church's influence continues to wane, eventually the only young people who take its word as (pardon the pun) gospel would be those with far-right views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I wouldn't be surprised if any Irish far-right movement in the future were staunchly Catholic. As the Church's influence continues to wane, eventually the only young people who take its word as (pardon the pun) gospel would be those with far-right views.

There is Youth Defence which kinds of fits the description you gave.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

There is Youth Defence which kinds of fits the description you gave.
    As if by some divine provenance, a challenger appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I was well aware of YD before I made that post, but I don't class them as a fully-fledged political party. However, IIRC one of their leaders has links to the DRM which the OP (or someone else in this thread) referenced.

• Advertisement
Advertisement