Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Health and Society?

• 09-06-2012 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm kind of undecided about whether to do Health and Society in DCU or Linguistics in UCD as a back-up plan for speech and language therapy if I dont get the points. Just wondering if anyone does the course could offer a bit of advice? Or even an opinion. It would really be appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 nikkaypandarr

I'm kind of undecided about whether to do Health and Society in DCU or Linguistics in UCD as a back-up plan for speech and language therapy if I dont get the points. Just wondering if anyone does the course could offer a bit of advice? Or even an opinion. It would really be appreciated! :)

Health and society is only a new course in DCU, and I didn't even know it existed until the end of the year! The one person I did know doing it said it was absolutely rubbish, its far too general, and is more like the history of science (basically a glorified arts course) than they expected. If you're into linguistics and the like, applied languages in DCU maybe? Theres no science but plenty of language...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tararaboomdeay

Health and society is only a new course in DCU, and I didn't even know it existed until the end of the year! The one person I did know doing it said it was absolutely rubbish, its far too general, and is more like the history of science (basically a glorified arts course) than they expected. If you're into linguistics and the like, applied languages in DCU maybe? Theres no science but plenty of language...

Thanks for your help, I think ill take your advice and steer clear of health and society, ill stick with my first back up choice of linguistics in UCD!! Hopefully I might not even have to go with my backup, but its better to be safe than sorry yano? :) thanks a million!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 GnPkid

could any student who did Health and Society give there opinion / review on this course? is it any good? what is it like? etc. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Has anyone did this course, or applied to do this course this September? BSc. in Health and Society (Bachelor Honours Degree) DCU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 briocht

I am in my second year of Health and Society!

I think it's a good course to do if you're looking to develop a broad overview of health and move onto graduate studies in a health related field. I personally like the course as I have a clear career path in mind which this degree will help me with. It is more theoretical and research focused than science based (although you do have a science module per semester!) so that's important to think about if you are applying. The staff are wonderful, and the class size is currently small so I think those are definately points in it's favour! Also as a new course much of the modules and materials are being tried out for the first time so I think the course will get even better with time!

But yeah anyone looking to learn about how health and illness affects us as humans and as a society should look into it!

Also it's only three years for an honours degree which is very handy indeed! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 ls91

briocht wrote: »

I think it's a good course to do if you're looking to develop a broad overview of health and move onto graduate studies in a health related field. I personally like the course as I have a clear career path in mind which this degree will help me with. It is more theoretical and research focused than science based (although you do have a science module per semester!) so that's important to think about if you are applying. The staff are wonderful, and the class size is currently small so I think those are definately points in it's favour! Also as a new course much of the modules and materials are being tried out for the first time so I think the course will get even better with time!

But yeah anyone looking to learn about how health and illness affects us as humans and as a society should look into it!

Hey just wondering what is the course load like? Also class hours per week? Looking to buy some notes/any materials from the course too if you or anyone you know happens to be selling stuff from last year. Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

briocht wrote: »

Hi sorry to drag up an old thread but really want to get info on this course as its my no.1 choice. Just wondering if you could help, I'm looking to get the booklist from the course so far? Tried to get it from the college but no reply yet! And if you've any heads up in terms of assignments that would be amazing! Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭PanicStations

Hello,

If you look at the website, you'll find a list of all the modules for the BSc Health and Society course here:

http://www.dcu.ie/registry/module_contents.php?function=4&programme=BHS

Click on each of these modules and you can see more details for them -- including the reading lists

Good luck with whatever you decide to do :)

Hello,

If you look at the website, you'll find a list of all the modules for the BSc Health and Society course here:

http://www.dcu.ie/registry/module_contents.php?function=4&programme=BHS

Click on each of these modules and you can see more details for them -- including the reading lists

Good luck with whatever you decide to do :)

Thanks had a look at those already but suppose I'm talking more about an actual textbook used during the course and finding out what kind of assignments will come up!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭PanicStations

I don't really understand what you mean by 'actual textbooks used on the course', the reading lists include several textbooks, and these are used on the course.

You might find last year's exam papers useful. Papers for individual modules are available here:

http://www.dcu.ie/internal/examinations/papers.php3?key=module

Just enter the Module code, for example NS137 for the 'Scarcity and Health' module.

The Module code can be found on the 'Module Specifications' page for that module.

• Advertisement

I don't really understand what you mean by 'actual textbooks used on the course', the reading lists include several textbooks, and these are used on the course.

You might find last year's exam papers useful. Papers for individual modules are available here:

http://www.dcu.ie/internal/examinations/papers.php3?key=module

Just enter the Module code, for example NS137 for the 'Scarcity and Health' module.

The Module code can be found on the 'Module Specifications' page for that module.

I mean the main one used if there is one. E.g. in Arts, English you have lots of recommended reading but the bulk of the work is in a few compulsory textbooks usually not referenced in the reading list.

But if you say their all there ill go back and have a look! Forgot to check the exam papers that will definitely help. Thanks!

Advertisement