Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N2 - Slane Bypass [planning decision pending]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭roadmaster

marno21 wrote: »

Shocking slow. When they announce the route would they wait a while before ground testing in case the get a lot negative feed back and have to change the route they picked

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Shane Ross confirmed in the Dail today the following timeline for this scheme:

Meath County Council & consultants are currently in pre-application consultation with An Bord Pleanala.

2019: Publication of route selection report
    Late 2020: Publication of scheme and An Bord Pleanala application
    2021: Scheme construction start
    2024: Scheme opening

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Limerick74

Shane Ross confirmed in the Dail today the following timeline for this scheme:

Meath County Council & consultants are currently in pre-application consultation with An Bord Pleanala.

2019: Publication of route selection report
    Late 2020: Publication of scheme and An Bord Pleanala application
    2021: Scheme construction start
    2024: Scheme opening

How can construction start a few months after ABP decision? It takes at least 2 years after ABP approval to commence the main construction. People need to understand the reality of it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Limerick74 wrote: »
    How can construction start a few months after ABP decision? It takes at least 2 years after ABP approval to commence the main construction. People need to understand the reality of it.
    I'm only relaying what he said:
    The expected benefits of the Slane bypass are that it will provide a bypass of Slane village, provide an enhanced living environment within the historic village, reduce journey times and traffic delays in the vicinity of Slane and enhance access between Dublin and the north west region. This scheme is currently at route selection stage. The route selection report is being finalised and is due for publication in 2019. A pre-application consultation process is under way with An Bord Pleanála. It is anticipated that the scheme will be published in late 2020. Subject to receiving planning approval the scheme may then progress to construction. The estimated construction timetable is three years with an anticipated completion date of 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭duffman3833

is their any links to this update?

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

It’s April, deadline missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

spacetweek wrote: »
    It’s April, deadline missed.

The frustration continues..

www.n2slanebypass.ie domain has expired.

That's all for now...

www.n2slanebypass.ie domain has expired.

That's all for now...

I was on the MCC website yesterday and seen that hopefully its just someone in navan forgot to pay the subscription and not a sign of things to come

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Was the route never announced? Anyone got anything on this?

I see the official site is still gone.

spacetweek wrote: »
    Was the route never announced? Anyone got anything on this?

I see the official site is still gone.

Still not announced.

Looks like the hold up is due to Meath County Council looking at East/West options in Slane. Project should be with ABP by 2021.
    The proposed N2 Slane Bypass is included amongst a number of major national road schemes that are identified for development during the period of the NDP. The scheme is also contained in the National Transport Authority (NTA) Transport Strategy for the Greater Dublin Area.

The project is currently at route selection stage. Meath County Council have also commissioned a supplementary assessment of East-West options in relation to Slane. This process is well advanced and once the preferred route is identified, the scheme will be progressed through planning and design. A Business case will then be prepared for the approval of both my Department and the Department of Public Expenditure & Reform. In addition, the statutory documentation will be prepared, including the environmental impact assessment. Meath County Council have indicated that the scheme will be lodged with An Bord Pleanála in 2021, post the adoption of the new County Development Plan. TII has provided an allocation of €1m to Meath County Council for the scheme this year.

how much time and money is going to be pumped into this project before any work starts, if it ever got the go ahead

how much time and money is going to be pumped into this project before any work starts, if it ever got the go ahead
    2016-2019 funding was €4.1m. Costs before construction will likely exceed €10m just on planning work alone, and further land costs.

For what has been done to date, the amount spent is quite high for such a small scheme.

It looks like they are ready to publish the route selections for the N2 Slane, Maybe I am not looking hard enough but I cant find anything on the MCC website or the media platforms that serve Meath but rather this came up on the Northern Sound Radio website.

https://www.northernsound.ie/public-consultation-planned-bypass-slane-county-meath-will-take-place-later-month/

Its also on bypassslane.ie and seen it on one of the Slane FB pages
    http://bypassslane.ie/public-consultation-process-emerging-preferred-route
    I hope to be attending this myself to have a look.
    Action needs to get rolling on this over dealyed project

Emerging preferred route published: http://n2slanebypass.ie/MDT0806GR0003D07%20A3%20PUBLIC%20CONSULTATION%20DAY%20NOV%202019.pdf

These were the options.

3.4km in length. Shouldn't take too long to progress this.

3.4km in length. Shouldn't take too long to progress this.

I was at the hotel and was told that planning applicaiton wouldnt be submitted until the end of 2020.
    From talking to other resisdence, not a lot are impressed. Its too close to the village and to many houses. The more prefered option, G, would have gone down better but they said that its entering the heritage zone and cant do that. Which is stupid in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

I was at the hotel and was told that planning applicaiton wouldnt be submitted until the end of 2020.
    From talking to other resisdence, not a lot are impressed. Its too close to the village and to many houses. The more prefered option, G, would have gone down better but they said that its entering the heritage zone and cant do that. Which is stupid in my head.

Have to say, I looked at the options first and picked out E/G as my preferred option.
    It’s the furthest from Newgrange on that side and then avoids Ledwidge cottage.

Personally, I don’t believe the bypass should be built. It’s a toll dodging route. You’re within 10km of motorway on either side.
    While there is no doubt a traffic problem in Slane, they should be looking at other solutions such as:
    A) Video tolling between Ardee and Ashbourne
    B) Changing the signage on the M50 and N33 to signpost Derry via the M1/Ardee.
    C) removing the M1 toll for HGVs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭SeanW

Last Stop wrote: »
    Have to say, I looked at the options first and picked out E/G as my preferred option.
    It’s the furthest from Newgrange on that side and then avoids Ledwidge cottage.

Personally, I don’t believe the bypass should be built. It’s a toll dodging route. You’re within 10km of motorway on either side.
    While there is no doubt a traffic problem in Slane, they should be looking at other solutions such as:
    A) Video tolling between Ardee and Ashbourne
    B) Changing the signage on the M50 and N33 to signpost Derry via the M1/Ardee.
    C) removing the M1 toll for HGVs
    The current route would be wholly inadequate even if it was just a regional road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,698 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The bypass is needed but single carriageway will suffice. The N2 north of the motorway should be detrunked and Derry traffic sent up M1 but that still doesn't negate the need for a bypass of Slane.

SeanW wrote: »
    The current route would be wholly inadequate even if it was just a regional road.

That’s debatable. This biggest isssue at the moment is the level of traffic. If you significantly reduce the amount of traffic (and in particular HGVs) which removing the M1 toll would do, you could start looking at improvements to the existing road.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    The bypass is needed but single carriageway will suffice. The N2 north of the motorway should be detrunked and Derry traffic sent up M1 but that still doesn't negate the need for a bypass of Slane.

I would argue it does. If you take all of the traffic that goes through Slane currently that doesn’t need to be there, you would remove the bottleneck and the need for the bypass.

I would argue it does. If you take all of the traffic that goes through Slane currently that doesn’t need to be there, you would remove the bottleneck and the need for the bypass.

I well know you'd argue. Issues would still exist at the hill and bridge and that requires bypassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That’s debatable. This biggest isssue at the moment is the level of traffic. If you significantly reduce the amount of traffic (and in particular HGVs) which removing the M1 toll would do, you could start looking at improvements to the existing road.
    The M1 toll will not be removed and that road in and out of the village is far too narrow and always has been. Like many other places up and down the country which have been bypassed all it needs is local traffic. Sending it cross country is not the answer. The M1 is already near capacity at the bottom end and pushing N2 traffic onto that would be another M50 in the making.

Most traffic going north of Ardee already uses the M1 so there will be limited traffic relief for Slane by removing the toll. Detrunking the N2 would be to reflect the reality of the situation.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Most traffic going north of Ardee already uses the M1 so there will be limited traffic relief for Slane by removing the toll. Detrunking the N2 would be to reflect the reality of the situation.

Given TII are planning a dual carriageway from Ashbourne to Kilmoon Cross I can’t see there being any detrunking anytime soon

Would sure make sense to redesignate the N2 as a national secondary and have the N2 running Border-Ardee-M1

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Given TII are planning a dual carriageway from Ashbourne to Kilmoon Cross I can’t see there being any detrunking anytime soon

Would sure make sense to redesignate the N2 as a national secondary and have the N2 running Border-Ardee-M1

It could be renamed N52, if they renamed the N52 the N33.... ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The fact that Slane has a single carriageway bridge with steep hills at either side.... the "easiest" option is just to slap another bridge next to the current one but then you still have problems at either side with the hills. Safety alone means something should be done.

And if you're doing an S2 bridge, you might as well do an S2 bypass in this case and given traffic levels you might as well do a D2. But I do believe in the detrunking of the N2 north of Ashbourne and the sending of traffic to the M1.

Advertisement