Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Freaks & Geeks

Options
  • 23-08-2010 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭

Just after watching this from start to finish in about a week. Excellent show and I can see why it's such a cult classic. I watched the pilot ages ago and I didn't take to it for some reason but since I came back to it, it started growing on me after a few episodes. It's one of those shows where you actually care about the characters and each one of the main cast get their own seperate storyline at some stage in it's short run. The authentic '80s setting was very well done aswell and added a lot to the show.

It definitly deserved another season and I would have liked to see what happened to the characters. It's a shame that there's no way this could ever be revived (with the original cast anyway) what with the whole Apatow crew being very successful in their film careers now and the fact they're all way too old now anyway!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 humanpunchbag

If you want your Jason Segel fix and to watch a show where you care about the characters I recommend How I Met your Mother.
    I warn you, your vernacular will be changed forever! What in the world is up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭smallgarden

loved freaks and geeks!such an unusual interesting programme

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

If you want your Jason Segel fix and to watch a show where you care about the characters I recommend How I Met your Mother.
    I warn you, your vernacular will be changed forever! What in the world is up!

Way ahead of you! Love that show. I say "awesome" way too much nowadays :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I only saw the Pilot of Freaks and Geeks and loved it. I recently discovered another short-lived comedy Underclared, which stars Rogen and and Segal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Undeclared was great aswell (although not as good as F&G). I was contemplating making this a freaks & geeks/undeclared thread due to the close ties between each show but really the 2 of them are very different but great in their own way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Moke

The cast is amazing, I'll be getting it on DVD as soon as I can but it's really really good, if anyone likes the comedies with Seth Rogen, James Franco, Jason Segel or just geeky humour I would strongly recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Facelessman

Amazing show that RTE only showed once back in the day. Well worth getting the boxset.

I would recommend reading Alan Sepinwall's recaps as you watch it. They are on his old blog before he moved to hitflix.com earlier this year:

http://sepinwall.blogspot.com/search/label/Freaks%20and%20Geeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

Great show. More than likely the most anybody can tell you is "torrents", it was the start for a bunch of pretty famous actors now.

Even that little weakling kid brother ended up starring in Bones.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Freaks and Geeks is one of my all time faves.
    Was interviewing Seth Rogen a couple of years ago in Dublin for the release of Pineapple Express (also met James Franco that day, who was also in Dublin for press interviews) Between the two of them they were interviewed by about 40 people - I was the last interviewer of the day and afterwards Rogen told me I was the only person who asked him about Freaks and Geeks & Undeclared throughout all those interviews and then Franco said no one had asked him about Freaks and Geeks either.
    That was a great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Sorry to drag this thread up but I just finished watching the show for the first time. (I'm 17)

Hands down one of the best Tv shows I've ever had the pleasure of watching. There isn't one bad episode and each and every character is amazing. Linda Cardellini particularly is fcuking fantastic.
    Its an injustice to television that this show was never given more seasons, just imagine how far it could have went with that cast.

And the soundtrack, holy balls.

Also one of the best closing scenes, evokes such a sense of mystery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Most of the show's events are taken from Paul Feig's actual childhood. (he created the show)
    He wrote 2 brilliant books about growing up.

Kick Me
    and
    Superstud: how i became a 24 year old virgin

if you liked freaks and geeks these books are an amazing look into what the show could have become if it was given a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭colly_06

Came across this on Netflix after searching for Seth Rogen and just had to watch it for the cast alone! Halfway through the series and it's excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

colly_06 wrote: »
    Came across this on Netflix after searching for Seth Rogen and just had to watch it for the cast alone! Halfway through the series and it's excellent!

Don't see it on Netflix at all.

It was an outstanding show and been meaning to watch it again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I recall this being on RTE 2, I think. Saw a few episodes back then. Watched the pilot on US Netflix last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭UncleChael

Oh, Hi Cindy!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

3 episodes in, yeah, it's great. It has the awkwardness, bullying, figuring things out around that age. The adults (Dad: know what happened to him, he died!' :D) come off as being a bit oddball ish, which I'm guessing is deliberate since the kids are pretty normal, really.

Episode 11...Sam's hair.
    :pac:

That closing scene - so Lindsay.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

can you think of any other shows like it? besides undeclared

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

It may be an animated show, but Daria is quite similar theme wise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement