Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE1: Creedon's Cities - except Waterford!

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Waterford obviously isn't a city.Its not a bad place but theres no way it is a city.

If Waterford is a city then you can call any respectably sized town in Ireland a city!

Agree. The only place you can reasonably call a city is Dublin. I don't know what people must think when they visit these other so called cities only to find one street and a few shops.

I know the government act says this and that and that's fair enough but in reality there's only one real city. The rest are just largish towns and are now cities because they happen to have a population slightly larger than most other towns in the country. I mean you constantly read about how such and such should be upgraded to city status just because it happens to pass the 20,000 population mark. At that rate there'll be more cities in Ireland than any other country in Europe in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Neeson wrote: »
    Agree. The only place you can reasonably call a city is Dublin. I don't know what people must think when they visit these other so called cities only to find one street and a few shops.

I know the government act says this and that and that's fair enough but in reality there's only one real city. The rest are just largish towns and are now cities because they happen to have a population slightly larger than most other towns in the country. I mean you constantly read about how such and such should be upgraded to city status just because it happens to pass the 20,000 population mark. At that rate there'll be more cities in Ireland than any other country in Europe in time.

What makes a real city then? In a lot of languages theres no difference between city & town. What about smaller countries whos capital would be the size of cork? City of Luxembourg only has about 100,000 people. Is that not a city?
    I swear we're one of the few places in the world that puts down everything they can. Irish law says 5 administrative cities and 1 historical city and thats what they are. Population doesnt come into it, size doesnt come into it. Theyre just cities. Not everything has to be a thriving metropolis to be called a 4 letter word that doesnt exist to most of the planet.

What makes a real city then? In a lot of languages theres no difference between city & a town.

And it doesn't look like there's much of a difference in Ireland either. Creedon should do a few shows on drogheda city, Tralee city, Tallaght city and maybe he could do one on Sligo city when he's at it. He might do another series so there shouldn't be a panic anyway. Waterford might be slotted in with the other cities/towns he could do next time around.

And it doesn't look like there's much of a difference in Ireland either. Creedon should do a few shows on drogheda city, Tralee city, Tallaght city and maybe he could do one on Sligo city when he's at it. He might do another series so there shouldn't be a panic anyway. Waterford might be slotted in with the other cities/towns he could do next time around.

Well done. You answered nothing. Ill ask again.
    What makes a real city? Population? Buildings? Amount of businesses? Skyscrapers? Law?
    Apparently law and name dont to you so which of the rest? Plenty of places called cities with small populations so cant be that. Or are they not real cities too?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

Well done. You answered nothing. Ill ask again.
    What makes a real city? Population? Buildings? Amount of businesses? Skyscrapers? Law?
    Apparently law and name dont to you so which of the rest? Plenty of places called cities with small populations so cant be that. Or are they not real cities too?

There is no definition of a city as far as i know,so therefore everyone's going to have different opinions on the matter,hence this debate/argument.

The only people i know that think Waterford is a city are the people of Waterford,they are so adamant that they live 'in a city' where to anyone coming in to visit,its nothing more then a fairly large town

But hey,if the goverment say its a city,then who am i to argue.Anyway 'Waterford city' sounds alot better than 'Waterford town'.

• Advertisement

A real city can be anywhere. If the local butcher calls his home place a city then it probably is. A farmer could call his field a city and designate the trough where the animals feed as the city centre of his city of farm.

What is real? If a boy says its real then it's real. So maybe farm city might get a show on Creedon's next series, should there be one.

There is no definition of a city as far as i know,so therefore everyone's going to have different opinions on the matter,hence this debate/argument.

The only people i know that think Waterford is a city are the people of Waterford,they are so adamant that they live 'in a city' where to anyone coming in to visit,its nothing more then a fairly large town.

Exactly, definition changes everywhere. The only way of measuring in Ireland is the law which has it as a city. This is different everywhere.

And thats my other point, the word city doesnt mean anything to a lot of visitors. Language dependant it can mean the same as town so they just see a population centre of a relative size in the area. Same with cork, same with galway, same with dublin and the same in other countries.

A real city can be anywhere. If the local butcher calls his home place a city then it probably is. A farmer could call his field a city and designate the trough where the animals feed as the city centre of his city of farm.

What is real? If a boy says its real then it's real. So maybe farm city might get a show on Creedon's next series, should there be one.

So youve just gone from saying you can only reasonably call dublin a city(without giving any reasons as to why when compared others) to saying anything can be called a city because people feel like it in the space of a few posts. Makes perfect sense

So youve just gone from saying you can only reasonably call dublin a city(without giving any reasons as to why when compared others) to saying anything can be called a city because people feel like it in the space of a few posts. Makes perfect sense

Ok. I'm not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

im from Dublin lived there most of my life , i now live in Waterford before i start, love this town/ city. So no typical Dub jackeen shiate, right to try and settle this debate once again.

Dublin is classed as a city because it is a multicultural thriving metropolis. Included with it being know as the centre(Town) and greater area.Unfortunatly Waterford doesnt boast this as its surrounding areas are know much more by an individual name ie. dungarvan but is still classed as county waterford. But Dublin is classed on the whole as County with both inner and greater being encompassed under the one banner. Plus i heard some randomrablings by a fairly drunken lad in kilkenny saying in his best waterford blaaaaa language , Waterford is a city coz it has a cathedral.

Regardless of it being a city or a town, its still a hell of a place and im enjoying sleeping all thru the night now without hearing robbed cars and helicopters.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Are you a bit slow?

Are you able to get into a conversation without being insulting towards others? Attack the post and not the poster, and all that.
    And Sully, are you, as a mod, telling people to not post in a thread, just because they don't agree with it's subject matter?

I'm expressing my personal opinion, not as a moderator. Hence why its not in bold. Its my opinion that in certain topics if its going around in swings and roundabouts, and your simply here to laugh/insult/mock others views which are not your own rather than just say "I don't agree for X, you don't agree for Y, my response to you and yours back is going around in circles so its best we just agree to disagree."

Disclaimer: When I say "you" or "your" I am not referring to any individual specifically. Conspiracy theories that I am, are inaccurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

I'm a city.

I'm a city.

Where is your city center located,id like to look around.

Where is your city center located,id like to look around.

Up his arse. Oh the slimy slippery splurge.

Up his arse. Oh the slimy slippery splurge.

Lol.

I want to park my car in your city center.:)

Pm me.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Mod Note:

I haven't been looking at this thread but there has been a bombardment of reported posts today so I'm locking it for the moment and have a look through and reopen it ASAP.

Cheers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement