Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Metrolink (just Metrolink posts here -see post #1 )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Looks like you missed the N3 Parkway branch off from Clonsilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭prunudo

I'm sure it's been discussed before but what is the reasoning for not linking metrolink with the mainline at Donabate. How much will cost to add in the future, why not just join up from the offset.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

jvan wrote: »
    I'm sure it's been discussed before but what is the reasoning for not linking metrolink with the mainline at Donabate. How much will cost to add in the future, why not just join up from the offset.

I think that CIE and IR must be kept away from Luas and Metrolink, at least until the contracts are signed.

I think the Gov do not like CIE, Dublin Bus, RTE, and a few other semi states (with an undisguised hatred).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I think that CIE and IR must be kept away from Luas and Metrolink, at least until the contracts are signed.

I think the Gov do not like CIE, Dublin Bus, RTE, and a few other semi states (with an undisguised hatred).

What do you mean should we compromise integration just because some people in government don't like CIE?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Cost.

As soon as Metrolink is built or close to being built there will be clamour for the linkup. To add it in now would cause unneccessary delay.

• Advertisement

Cost.

As soon as Metrolink is built or close to being built there will be clamour for the linkup. To add it in now would cause unneccessary delay.

Surely its cheaper to build now rather than retro fit like we usually do in this country, its not that much further is it.

Surely its cheaper to build now rather than retro fit like we usually do in this country, its not that much further is it.

It's not exactly retro-fitting. It's an extension.

Might be cheaper in simplistic terms to build it while they're there anyway but realistically it woudl cost way more wioth new planning apps, desogn, cbas, planners, EISs etc to be done.

Anyway it ain't being done now. so we can forget wbout it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Cheaper, perhaps, but not necessarily better, at least politically. To do an interchange at Donabate, they'll need to move the IR station out of the town and into the fields to the south, as there's simply no room to do an interchange in the town.

There'll be a fair amount of protest at being told that your station will now be 250m to 400m away from where it currently is, and the NTA may have reasoned that there'll be enough complaints over Metrolink without adding this project on.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Dats me

Question re Donabate was asked in the public consultation for the GDA transport strategy 2016-2035, reply was that passenger numbers based on modeling wasn't worth the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭SeanW

One future extension I would like to see (dreamland I admit) is for the Metro to re-use the old Harcourt St alignment between Sandyford and Carrickmines and from there on towards Bray. There could be at most 2 stops between Sandyford and Carrickmines including the unused Luas stop. It would make travel into town a lot faster for people towards the lower end of the current Green line and it could be extended to people below Brides Glen.

The bit of Green line that deviated from the HSL would remain in place as a local link.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

SeanW wrote: »
    One future extension I would like to see (dreamland I admit) is for the Metro to re-use the old Harcourt St alignment between Sandyford and Carrickmines and from there on towards Bray. There could be at most 2 stops between Sandyford and Carrickmines including the unused Luas stop. It would make travel into town a lot faster for people towards the lower end of the current Green line and it could be extended to people below Brides Glen.

The bit of Green line that deviated from the HSL would remain in place as a local link.

I can't see this happening - the old trackbed between Sandyford and Carrickmines was sold off and is built on now

The presence of tennis courts on the old trackbed will give you an indication of the type of people living along there - and how likely it will be that the land will be taken back off them

It's not exactly retro-fitting. It's an extension.

Might be cheaper in simplistic terms to build it while they're there anyway but realistically it woudl cost way more wioth new planning apps, desogn, cbas, planners, EISs etc to be done.

Anyway it ain't being done now. so we can forget wbout it.

Sorry, retrofit was the wrong word but you know what i mean.
    CatInABox wrote: »
    Cheaper, perhaps, but not necessarily better, at least politically. To do an interchange at Donabate, they'll need to move the IR station out of the town and into the fields to the south, as there's simply no room to do an interchange in the town.

There'll be a fair amount of protest at being told that your station will now be 250m to 400m away from where it currently is, and the NTA may have reasoned that there'll be enough complaints over Metrolink without adding this project on.

I see, hadn't looked into what would be involved, I was just curious after looking at LongboardPro's rail map.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I see, hadn't looked into what would be involved, I was just curious after looking at LongboardPro's rail map.

They might be able to engineer a way around it, or have the stations a good walk between each other, so there's ways of doing it on the cheap.

As to whether it should be done or not, I definitely agree that it should, more connectivity is a always a good thing for me. I'd say that despite what the NTA say against it, they'll eventually build it, and turn Donabate into a larger, more important station.

Again though, as with the Metro out to the south west, this is something that's best left for another time in my opinion. It's also one that's a lot easier than a Metro to the SW.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Stephen15 wrote: »
    What do you mean should we compromise integration just because some people in government don't like CIE?

That is politics - the people in Gov decide who they like and who they do not like. Consequently, some business does better under FF or FG depending.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,266 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Not really, it's a greenfield extension.

cgcsb wrote: »
    Not really, it's a greenfield extension.

Would being greenfield not make it cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Would being greenfield not make it cheaper.

Think he means as it’s greenfield it won’t reall affect the cost one way or the other

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Victorian House

Just looking at the maps for Tara Street - am I reading it correctly or does the proposed station completely avoid using that big block of CIÉ land where the skyscraper was being built? Surely that's a bit cheaper than those office buildings.

This is the one:
    https://goo.gl/maps/XDnj8Z4q49S2

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Just looking at the maps for Tara Street - am I reading it correctly or does the proposed station completely avoid using that big block of CIÉ land where the skyscraper was being built? Surely that's a bit cheaper than those office buildings.

This is the one:
    https://goo.gl/maps/XDnj8Z4q49S2

That's tiny.

It's not just avoiding that site, it's avoiding building where the current station is too.

I don't remember if there were office buildings there but there were appartments and they would still have to go if you used the CIE site. So, it's the CIE site or the row of ****ty houses on the southern side (maybe they're actually offices?).

Plus, at the time of design, the site had planning permission for an office building and Ronan was applying for permission for a new design.

I'm not an engineer but maybe they don't want to dig too close to the quay wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

there is something that I am very relieved about, during the recession , there was talk of scrapping MN or now metrolunk, for some inadequate, luas type, round the world, at surface, **** show. Probably irelands greatest infrastructural , botch job to date if it had gone ahead. The insane amount of hotel, student and commercial that is under construction in the city and to a lesser extent homes; I dont think if another recession comes around, it will be even feasible for them suggest botch job again or sending this back to the drawing board...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I know the Railway Order wouldn't be happening for another year, but anyone know when we might start to hear any outcomes from the consultation? Perhaps anyone who remembers the OG Metro or Metro North processes?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

MJohnston wrote: »
    I know the Railway Order wouldn't be happening for another year, but anyone know when we might start to hear any outcomes from the consultation? Perhaps anyone who remembers the OG Metro or Metro North processes?

Revised plan will be published in late August.

They aren't taking their time with this

Idbatterim wrote: »
    there is something that I am very relieved about, during the recession , there was talk of scrapping MN or now metrolunk, for some inadequate, luas type, round the world, at surface, **** show. Probably irelands greatest infrastructural , botch job to date if it had gone ahead. The insane amount of hotel, student and commercial that is under construction in the city and to a lesser extent homes; I dont think if another recession comes around, it will be even feasible for them suggest botch job again or sending this back to the drawing board...

There's always a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

There's always a chance

Oh of course you’re right. This is the Irish banana republic we’re talking about. But this scheme is better and it’s unlikely fg won’t be the main party any time soon. On top of the issues I raised about the massive increase in numbers that the colossal amount of development in Dublin is generating ...

marno21 wrote: »
    Revised plan will be published in late August.

They aren't taking their time with this

Yes, the NTA seem to know how Ireland works now, the sooner it's out, the sooner they can start dealing with the legal challenges brought by people with no job and whose sole possession is a piano.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Oh of course you’re right. This is the Irish banana republic we’re talking about. But this scheme is better and it’s unlikely fg won’t be the main party any time soon. On top of the issues I raised about the massive increase in numbers that the colossal amount of development in Dublin is generating ...

Never underestimate FGs ability to screw up a sure thing election. "Keep the recovery going"..... Jesus, I still facepalm when I think of it.

But yes, I do think that it's looking good for Metrolink.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Never underestimate FGs ability to screw up a sure thing election. "Keep the recovery going"..... Jesus, I still facepalm when I think of it.

But yes, I do think that it's looking good for Metrolink.

Even as a light blue shirt I'm equally impressed at how they manage it. It's remarkable.

Timing is important.

Prez outta the way with a couple of referenda and then February election after the budget is sorted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

https://twitter.com/SenatorMcDowell/status/1030469079658844161

Where has it been suggested that the Luas Green Line will close for 2 years? :confused:

Where has it been suggested that the Luas Green Line will close for 2 years? :confused:

Wow, I have read that document now. That is absolutely pathetic.

A document ridden with lies and hyperbole against a project designed to provide large scale benefits for the area it targets.

That is downright shameful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Well he rather cleverly said up to 2 years so even if it’s only closed for a Sunday afternoon he wouldn’t be fibbing. It’s really about the best you could expect from him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement