Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Armagh City and the Economic Downturn

• 19-07-2011 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

UTV Live did a very interesting piece on Armagh this evening, looking at the state of business in the City Centre, against the backdrop of the current economic downturn.

The piece is only about three and a half minutes long and is well worth a look. It should be available for 30 days from the date of this post.

http://www.u.tv/utvplayer/video/138037/113016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

I see the Ulster Gazette leading with a related story this week, as Tesco are making a third attempt to open a major store in the City, this time on the site of Fane Valley.

http://www.ulstergazette.co.uk/articles/news/22237/food-superstore-plan-for-fane-valley-site/

According to the story, there appears to be significant caution from the local powers that be. To be honest, I can understand the fears around such a major investment not being in the main shopping area of the City, but in my view that makes it all the more regrettable that Tesco's second attempt to come to Armagh - at Ogle Street - floundered. That is one area of the City that badly needs new life breathed into it.

I suspect this bid by Tesco will not be a case of third time lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

Really - does Armagh need a Tesco? Three Tescos within 10-15miles in Craigavon (Portadown, Rushmere, Lurgan), a couple more within 20 miles (Banbridge, Dungannon), not including Sainsburys in most of those locations too...plus the town is already served by a decent sized Sainsburys and the apparently unsinkable Emersons and McAnerneys, and to a lesser extent the Supervalu on the old Wellworths site...

How many groceries can one middlish size dormitory town buy?

If Tesco moved in all that'd happen imo would be Sainsbury's upping and leaving and making the Mall centre a ghost-town.

Agree with you that the Ogle St end needs a kick up the bum - along with the rest of the city. It can never be a retail destination when its so close to Craigavon and Newry.

Really - does Armagh need a Tesco?

If Tesco moved in all that'd happen imo would be Sainsbury's upping and leaving and making the Mall centre a ghost-town.

Agreed totally - indeed to add to your point, Dungannon also boasts a Tesco.

I remember hearing it said that Tesco has an unwritten rule that they will try and get in anywhere where Sainsburys is situated. Maybe that explains their determination to get into Armagh? If the price of Tesco opening was the loss of one of Emersons / McAnerneys / Sainsburys, and a major Tesco on the outskirts of town, then I would have no hesitation in saying 'no thanks'.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭casey junior

So you don't want free parking, then?
    You want to sit in a queue on the Mall trying to get into the car park?
    Or you want to pay Mac and Ernies maximum prices?
    Tescos are it.

So you don't want free parking, then?
    You want to sit in a queue on the Mall trying to get into the car park?
    Or you want to pay Mac and Ernies maximum prices?
    Tescos are it.

There's free car parking around the City Centre if you look! Take a wider look around the City - traffic queues aren't just a feature of the Mall - Loughgall Road / Moy Road junction is a significant bottle neck - a major store in that area will alleviate that, will it? :rolleyes:

I'll accept that Tesco will bring in very competitve prices. As that is a given, it all comes down then to your preference - for me, I'll forego those competitve prices in favour of retaining long standing local businesses, and the retention of a viable shopping area around the City Centre.

• Advertisement

To further complicate the situation, it is being reported that Asda 'could be' on the verge of building a new superstore on the site of Drumadd Barracks.

Asda and Tesco weighing in would leave things all up for grabs!! :confused:

It would be a big ask for McAnerneys, O'Kanes and Emersons etc to remain competitive in such an environment.

Tesco have confirmed in this week's Ulster Gazette that they are indeed behind the move to acquire the Fane Valley site with the intention of opening a major store.

If Tesco were to succeed, the centre of retail in Arnagh really would be moving towards the Moy Road, given the success of the Spires shopping centre there to date.

I see that last week's Ulster Gazette has reported that the council has now given its backing to the proposed redevelopment of the Fane Valley site for Tesco, following an impact assessment.

http://www.ulstergazette.co.uk/articles/news/31580/united-over-tesco/
    ARMAGH Council has come out in favour of supporting the development of a new multi-million pounds Tesco store at Alexander Road in the city.
    In a letter to DoE planners, councillors acknowledged receipt of the submission of a Retail Impact and Transport Assessment and welcomed the proposed food store development on the former Fane Valley site.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭malibu4u

People can only do so much shopping. Building new shops will mean other shops will close down. Therefore the location of new shops is important. Do you want to see city centres dead?

malibu4u wrote: »
    People can only do so much shopping. Building new shops will mean other shops will close down. Therefore the location of new shops is important. Do you want to see city centres dead?

You have aroused my curiosity. Who is the 'you' referred to above?

• Advertisement

It's been a long running saga but I see that the Tesco story is at last coming to an end as reported by the Ulster Gazette this week.

It would appear the never-ending story that is the coming to Armagh City of Tesco has taken another, and possibly final, turn.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-30726482

Tesco's chief executive officer Dave Lewis said:
    "It is with a heavy heart that I am today announcing that we are unable to proceed with our planned new store developments in Armagh and Carryduff. I am very aware of the importance of these sites and I am determined that we will work closely with the respective councils to find the right solutions for both Armagh and Carryduff."

I really hope that we are not left with a very large buidling site at Alexander Road!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement