Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cattery or home alone

Options
  • 24-10-2010 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,048 ✭✭✭✭

Just looking for opinions on leaving cats in a cattery when you are going on holiday. Previous cats have been left to fend for themselves with a neighbour coming to feed them (in the summer, outdoors) every day. Never any problems. Now we have two cats, young adults, neutered, indoor/outdoor - they spend time inside or outside depending on where they want to be, quite often stay out all night, but sometimes stay in.

I think they would be miserable fastened up in a cattery, but for some reason I feel a bit iffy about leaving them outdoors (summer). I would just be interested in other people's opinions. We live in a quiet residential area with a completely walled garden, where they mostly stay, though of course they do wander off, and minimal traffic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Personally I wouldn't leave my cats when I go on hol. I've left them for 2 nights, indoor with access to the outside, but could not leave them any longer. That was a last min emergency too. I'd regularly leave them overnight though. Always with access indoor and outdoor.

Like yours, they would be miserable in a cattery so for our recent holiday, I paid a relation to live in my house for the week! It was the best of both worlds. They had their own house, their usual routine and didn't have to go into a cattery. I knew my house was being looked after. My relative got paid for basicially living away from her parents home for a week which she was delighted about and I came home to a sparkly clean house. :) (Really showed me up!).

Would you know somone who could do that for you? They wouldn't have to live there, just call in every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

Whispered wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't leave my cats when I go on hol. I've left them for 2 nights, indoor with access to the outside, but could not leave them any longer. That was a last min emergency too. I'd regularly leave them overnight though. Always with access indoor and outdoor.

Like yours, they would be miserable in a cattery so for our recent holiday, I paid a relation to live in my house for the week! It was the best of both worlds. They had their own house, their usual routine and didn't have to go into a cattery. I knew my house was being looked after. My relative got paid for basicially living away from her parents home for a week which she was delighted about and I came home to a sparkly clean house. :) (Really showed me up!).

Would you know somone who could do that for you? They wouldn't have to live there, just call in every day.
    +1 someone even a neighbour or whatever could be left with a keyjust to drop in 1-2 times a day to feed them and let them in for a kip and they would be totally fine

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

looksee wrote: »
    Just looking for opinions on leaving cats in a cattery when you are going on holiday. Previous cats have been left to fend for themselves with a neighbour coming to feed them (in the summer, outdoors) every day. Never any problems. Now we have two cats, young adults, neutered, indoor/outdoor - they spend time inside or outside depending on where they want to be, quite often stay out all night, but sometimes stay in.

I think they would be miserable fastened up in a cattery, but for some reason I feel a bit iffy about leaving them outdoors (summer). I would just be interested in other people's opinions. We live in a quiet residential area with a completely walled garden, where they mostly stay, though of course they do wander off, and minimal traffic.

Have you considered getting a pet sitter?
    We had some recommended by our vet, and they're very good. They charge around €15 a visit, but will stay for at least 45 minutes every time, play and interact with the cats, groom them, feed them, change litter, they even offer to come round and open and close your blinds and turn lights on and off if you're worried about burglars.
    And they will send 1 text each day confirming they'd been and the cats are fine.

Advertisement