Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Puppy Purchase

Options
  • 21-10-2010 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hello
    I'm thinking of purchasing a puppy
    any particular websites that i should look to
    where do people typically advertise online or otherwise?
    thanks for the input (being presumptious here)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Have you considered adopting a dog from a shelter OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I wouldnt advise looking online at all, well not on websites that have loads of puppies for sale.

What breed are you looking for? If its a pedigree i advise you to contact the IKC or the relevent breed club and enquire about breeders that way.

There are so many dodgy breeders and puppy farmers advertising dogs for sale online so i would stay clear.

I might be able to suggest someone for you if you let me know what breed you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Not sure where to look but I'm pretty peeved at these guys who allow people to advertise animals among other stuff... http://www.banbloodsports.com/ln100319.htm

It depends what kind of dog you want, do you want a pure breed? If so contact a reputable breeder, there is a list of them on Boards here If you'd prefer a mutt or a rescue let us know where you're located and we can point you to a local rescue or their website.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

got my puppy on donedeal.ie from a farmer who just had two dogs and one litter

but there are a lot of scammers around so you must weed out the bad ones

Google contact number and see if any other ads for puppies come up from same person
    When phoning, if they say which puppies forget about it
    you don't want to entertain scumbags that are breeding the fook out of dogs to make money
    they should sound interested in you and your situation
    ie. ours was a collie and farmer was a bit hesitant as we live in town, he wanted to make sure he would have big enclosed garden, get enough exercise etc.
    think he was dissappointed we weren't gonna have him as a working dog:o

but he showed great concern for his welfare and wanted to make sure he was going to a happy home which was great

If it suits, definately look into adopting from a shelter.
    some great dogs in there waiting for a new home

It's something I hope to do in the future:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Tom Fiat

i would not rule out adoption but have not given it the thought it deserves just yet

was thinking actually about a pedigree..
    couple of breeds in mind but i need to do some proper research before any decision is made..

cairn terrier
    cocker
    cavalier king charles
    daschund
    westie

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Tom Fiat wrote: »
    i would not rule out adoption but have not given it the thought it deserves just yet

couple of breeds in mind but i need to do some proper research before any decision is made..

cairn terrier
    cocker
    cavalier king charles
    daschund
    westie

Nice choices but make sure you check these breeds out from neutral sources; I love cavaliers and all and everyone constantly tells me how amazing they are, but these dogs are known as the vet's pet due to just how many medical conditions they are prone to. Daschunds with their little legs are very prone to joint problems too. Westies skin problems, cockers temperament problems etc. So like I said; nice choices, but make sure to get both sides of the story before deciding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

If you are thinking of rescue (many pedigree dogs and pups also end up in rescue) have a look at www.irishanimals.ie or contact/visit www.dogstrust.ie loads of advice and support and lovely facilities well worth a day trip even if you aren't looking for a rescue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

I got my pup from donedeal.com too and had no problems, but my neighbour had terrible trouble with one he bought from the site. The poor pup suffered from some serious health problems within 2wks of bringing him home & died. He had paid €450 for the little guy and got no guarantee. In the end he was short €450 & without a dog. So I'd say just be careful who you buy from.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Well of the breeds you mentioned the Cavalier is basically a companion dog, somewhat dependant, would not really suit unless there is someone home all day every day. They are rife with genetic problems so need to be sourced from a first class breeder only. All of the others in particular Daschounds and Westies are the complete opposite, very independant, super-active dogs (don't be fooled by their size). Need a very firm consistant training regime or they will be masters of the universe. What exactly are you looking for in dog OP? What is your situation re: kids, space, time, how active a person are you personally?

I own a Westie and although they are not recommended for homes with kids have had no problems with the 4 kids here. She is very active, I've actually had a lot of problems with hyper-activity which is slowly getting sorted out with consistant training and eliminating foods (they have a lot of digestive problems and food intollerances) At present she is 5 and a half months old and spends a good hour and a half every day digging up the beds in the stables. Another good hour tearing round the garden, a good fast walk everyday, a few obedience training sessions, a fair bit of rough play with the kids and follows me around for the best part of the day and I am an extremely active person. I would imagine Cairn Terriers would be similar as a Westie is basically a white cairn. From what I hear Daschounds are worse :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

Tom Fiat...please...theres no need to "purchase" a puppy. We have thousands that need homes and all the homeless dogs in Irelands Rescue Centres are not all mongrels either...infact, theres certain pedigree breed rescue centres such as ones specifically for westies (www.westierescue.ie), scotties, greyhounds, labradors, cavaliers (www.ckcrescue.com) etc. etc. If you even contacted Dogs Trust and told them what type of breed you'd like, they let you know when they get that breed in.
    It'll save you having to spend hundreds on a dog from a dodgy breeder.
    Please do not buy from donedeal.ie or any other so called registered breeder advertising in a paper or on the net (ask your local vet).
    But if you rescue it'll be so much better for you and the dog in so many ways.
    Atleast consider it, just type in your preferred breed and rescue and see what comes up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

Check out www.irishanimals.ie...theres LOADS there to help you rescue your preferred breed, including pedigrees, puppies are also available too, not just older dogs (some people prefer to rescue the younger ones). Theres a Cairn terrier rescue too, Japanese Spitz, Basset Hounds, Rotweillers etc. etc. Check out this website...all information is there. Good Luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Tom Fiat

thanks for the tips folks
    will keep everything in the melting pot for now
    anyone know much about havenese dogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

cairn terrier
    cocker
    cavalier king charles
    daschund
    westie

Definetely don't rule out adopting a dog, out of the breeds you mentioned there is a westie rescue (http://www.westierescue.ie/), a cavalier king charles rescue (http://www.ckcsrescue.com/rescue/welcome.html) and a cairn rescue (http://www.cadagio.com/rescue.htm), and if your looking for advice then Im sure they would be more than willing to give you advice if you e-mailed them even if you didn't want to adopt a dog from them they might be able to point you in the direction of a good breeder.

My experience of cairns is that they are a typical terrier, they love their walks and will keep on walking all day if you asked them to, they are terriers so don't expect to keep your lovely garden because once they get bored they dig to china! Mine is a couch potato, once he's gotten his walk he's on the couch for the night, while he loves his walks he isin't too put out if for some reason he misses his daily walk. They are a hardy little dog, definetely not afraid of a bit of rain, Iv often found mine standing in the middle of the garden in pouring rain while his nice dry kennel sits empty! :rolleyes: Iv read that they sometimes aren't great with kids (probably because they are terriers and terriers are known for sometimes being a bit grumpy at times) but mine is brilliant with kids, but as with any dog always supervise with kids. They are terriers so while they usually accept your own small animals (cats and possibly rabbits at a push) they will chase away other people's cats. The coat can need a bit of grooming, usually just a good brush once a week and clipped a few times a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Definetly research the breed and see what suits your set up, I've three dogs, two rescue and one bought and would never go down the buying route again.
    While there are responsible breeders out there there are too many unwanted ones you could easily pay 400 to 700 for some small pure breeds and yet you could get a perfectly lovely little rescue dog or pup for much much less and the animal is health checked, vaccinated and if there are any issues you have the back up of the rescue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Hi OP
    I know it's been said, but please please strongly consider adopting a puppy instead. So many need homes and they're just lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

thanks for the tips folks
    will keep everything in the melting pot for now
    anyone know much about havenese dogs?

There are very few if any breeders in ireland im afraid so the chances of finding a litter will be very slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

I must say that I am shocked that you can adopt puppies from shelters

I assumed it was ALL older dogs with behaviour problems which there is a lot of also even though their issues mostly stem from being abused or negleted etc

but after been in a shelter today there are new born pups
    I know it's not very PC but if someone wants a pup to train exactly the way they want them etc without having to worry about how the dog will react to certain things because of it's history it's a great option

call me naive but I just never thought that people could actually abandon puppies. not that it's ok for any age animal obviously!
    but holding those little puppies and they're staring straight into your eyes just wanting some affection
    they're so innocent I don't know how anyone could do that:eek:

some were found on the roadside at only 3/4weeks old on their own
    they still needed their mum for love, food and warmth
    another lovely collie girl was found abandoned when she was heavily pregnant and had her pups in the shelter
    guess the scumbags wanted to get rid of the "problem" before it happened:mad:

sorry for rant and even though my boy was bought from a lovely genuine family your heart would go out to these wonderful dogs so in need of a loving home and I don't think I'll ever buy a dog again

would much rather rescue one of the beauties I saw today and make a donation to the shelter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

OP - have sent you a pm ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I found my 6 month old pup abandoned. He was house trained from the start. He is gentle, playful, easy to train & brilliant with children - in fact the perfect family dog & so nice that I could not give him to a rescue.

Please do not assume that a rescue dog is somehow inferior or must of been dumped for a reason.

Adopting from the Dogs Trust does involve a bit of procedure but they also give you lots of help & support.

Oh & please don't get too hung up about different breeds. Concentrate on getting a dog that's right for you. The dog will reflect you far more than it's breed.

Advertisement