Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want To Know Exactly What You're Feeding Your Dog?

• 23-10-2010 4:46pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Having studied canine nutrition I really found this website to be a huge help. Explaining some aspects of dog food to people can be difficult and I know a lot of people are worried about what they're feeding their dogs so I thought this website might be a help to anyone wondering about what's in the food they're feeding. Not all foods are there, but if you send them the ingredient contents of the food you are feeding they will do a review on it. Its well laid out and explains the pros and cons of the different types of foods. Hope this helps anyone wondering.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sral1

Theres a good educational pet food seminar in Portlaoise on Sunday Nov 7th
    Shanao wrote: »
    Having studied canine nutrition I really found this website to be a huge help. Explaining some aspects of dog food to people can be difficult and I know a lot of people are worried about what they're feeding their dogs so I thought this website might be a help to anyone wondering about what's in the food they're feeding. Not all foods are there, but if you send them the ingredient contents of the food you are feeding they will do a review on it. Its well laid out and explains the pros and cons of the different types of foods. Hope this helps anyone wondering.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

This is just my opinion but I have issues with that particular site, its based on the thinking that the more meat based protein in foods the better. From my own reading and personal experience I find this is rarely the case. Large breed dogs need a low protein food in order to grow and develop properly. Small breeds particularly terriers if fed too much protein can have behaviour problems and agression as a result. Don't mean to counteract your post OP but just another perspective on it :)

There is of course a lot of usefull information on there but it's all in the opinion of the author(s) of the site which is part of a site dedicated to the Boxer breed so I'd assume pretty much based on the needs of that particular breed. I did use the site myself for finding ingredient lists for food and discovered that some of it was actually very wrong. For example all the Royal Canin foods (breed specific ones) have different ingredients but looked like they had all been cut and pasted from the same list as they were all identical and had all the foods listed as the same quality which is not the case at all. Perhaps they have corrected this now but that was the case at the time I was looking at it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

To be honest with you, I was talking about it more in the case of what exactly is going into the foods; that I found this website a great insight into the actual ingredients. For example the BHA in Royal Canin. A lot of foods out there have low grade quality meat and cereals in them so I was just hoping to help make people aware of this. I agree that too much protein can be a problem, but I was really just posting this so that people who are wondering about the qualities of the food they're feeding can have a look and see exactly what the pros and cons are. I will agree that there can be too much protein but seeing as dogs are carnivores, I still believe that most of the food we feed today should have a lot more meat in it. What I especially dont like about foods is where you have a list of ingredients but no way of knowing how much is in a particular food.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Don't get me wrong I'm all for foods manufactured from all natural ingredients but I don't entirely agree with their take on what constitutes poor quality cereals. For example this conflicting view on beat pulp:

http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/beet_pulp_myth.htm

Like you I also believed that higher meat content was best and advised any number of people of this that came though the doors of the pet shop I worked in. I took this for granted from being told so without looking at any conflicting views and am now realising it is not so clear cut.

John Burns of Burns Pet food has done extensive research into the subject and diseases relating to diet. He has produced a booklet - A guide to natural health care. Having just read this I find I agree with a lot of his take on the subject. Some of the cream of the worlds brains work in Vetrinary medicine, and he has devoted a lot of time and research into the subject as opposed to having just plucked these ideas out of thin air. Also controversial fillers are just that, controversial, there has been research into what is suitable for use by some companies and again conflicting opinions from those on that site. Perhaps I have missed it but I don't recall seeing any reference to where they have got their information from on a lot of things they are saying there.

Basically I'm just pointing out that in order to get a balanced opinion you should look at both sides of any argument and decide your self what you agree with and what you don't.

Advertisement