Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tank mates for angelfish.

• 23-07-2014 8:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.

I've a 60 litre tank with two angels in it for at least a year if not longer. They get on well together and apart from the odd chase seem to be buddies.

I wanted to add something to this for a bit of colour but am conscious of interfering with the angels.

There is a huge conflict of information about what will go well with angels due to their aggression so am open to suggestions. I'd prefer a single addition rather than a shoal species if possible as I'm trying to keep the stocking density down.

Anyone any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

Dwarf Flame Gourami? They're pretty docile with good personalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Thanks. They look lovely actually. One would be OK with my angels too? There is some cover in the tank

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I don't know how they'd be with bigger fish, but ime they are total jerks to anything smaller than them.

A little bit online research suggests that a single gourami should be OK with my angels.

Hoping to get one over the weekend. There's always that element of excitement with a new addition. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

SeaFields wrote: »
    Hi folks.

I've a 60 litre tank with two angels in it for at least a year if not longer. They get on well together and apart from the odd chase seem to be buddies.

I wanted to add something to this for a bit of colour but am conscious of interfering with the angels.

There is a huge conflict of information about what will go well with angels due to their aggression so am open to suggestions. I'd prefer a single addition rather than a shoal species if possible as I'm trying to keep the stocking density down.

Anyone any suggestions?

Bottom feeders are the way to go for you.

Plecostomus or Corydoras catfish. Panda Cory's are good and hardy.

I have 2 mated pairs of angelfish in my main tank with Panda, Julii and Bandit corydoras on the bottom.

No issues with agression whatsoever, far as i can tell, i don't think the angels know the catfish exist.

• Advertisement

Thank cruelcoin. I got a blue gourami last weekend. I've been keeping a close eye. There is no interaction between the angels and the gourami. Its like they are invisible to each other. The colours are spectacular and exactly what I wanted. Will be keeping a very close eye on them but so far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Senor Willy

60l is way too small for Angels.

Depends on the tank format really.

Angels prefer a tall tank as opposed to a long one.

I would agree, 60 long is a little shallow for them. Only a little mind you. But 60 tall is no problem.

I don`t think it matters what the dimensions are with a 60l tank. It is way too small for Angels.

I don`t think it matters what the dimensions are with a 60l tank. It is way too small for Angels.

The plan is to upgrade to a bigger set up in the next few months. This is my first tank since i was a child and still a work in progress. I suppose I fell victim to another 'yerra be grand' attitude in a pet shop when I asked if they'd be ok in my sized tank and two together. Hence why I came here for advice re the new addition.

• Advertisement

We all made the same mistakes starting out and most of the shops don`t care
    once you are spending money.
    What size tank are you planning.

Its going to be either 120 or 180 litres. Budget, space and wife permitting!

The brother has a spectacular one set up with plants, shrimp and fish. That'd be my aim. Lots of plant life.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,143 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Keep an eye on adverts with a budget of about €1 per litre of tank size you're looking for. A couple of hundred buys a lot of tank in the second hand market! :)

Nothing beats a planted tank.

Seeing the oxegen bubbles pearling on the foliage is just brilliant to see in a healthy tank.

In terms of stability (water chemistry) bigger is better.

If stuck between two options, go for the one with a sliding/removable cover, etc. You'll thank yourself later for the quality of life improvements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

Join some of the forums - serious bargains to be had.
    I paid peanuts for my marine tank.

There's currently a 240 litre Juwel Rio up for sale for 40 euro.

Advertisement