Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

For anyone watching Netflix on PC/Laptop there is a very simple way of switching between the US & UK/Ire content. PM me for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

BB new episode is on netflix.

Sofa. Coffee. Tv. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

That's not to say they won't outbid on new seasons of popular shows over here like Sky did by poaching some of the shows off Channel 4 etc, can't see them getting any of the fx shows buy you never know maybe The Walking Dead might be next if the Breaking Bad experiment goes well for Netflix.

True, but if they start doing that then I can only see the cost of the subscription going up quite a lot quite quickly. If they start bidding against the traditional networks then they're going to need a fair bit of cash.

Barna77 wrote: »
    BB new episode is on netflix.

Sofa. Coffee. Tv. Enjoy.

Another 8 hours for me to wait :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

they had Breaking Bad up for streaming pretty quickly this morning, it would be interesting to see how many subscribers watched it and also how many new subscribers they signed up since announcing they where going to show the new episodes? I know two of my friends took out subscriptions just to watch the new episodes. Great Episode btw :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

they had Breaking Bad up for streaming pretty quickly this morning, it would be interesting to see how many subscribers watched it and also how many new subscribers they signed up since announcing they where going to show the new episodes? I know two of my friends took out subscriptions just to watch the new episodes. Great Episode btw :)

AWESOME.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Greyjoy wrote: »
    Apparently Netflix are trying out the option to have multiple profiles on a single account. It could keep recommendations & queues separate for each user profile. They're testing it with a number of PC users in the States, hopefully they'll roll it out to all users in the near future.

I see this now on the Irish one. Its a bit flawed as a child can switch their profile to an adults one.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

There's a good documentary about the Enola Gay crew called "Hiroshima" on Netflix. Worth a watch if anyone's into that, it's in two parts.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Separate threads for film & TV
    Detention: Take Idle Hands, remove the satanically-possessed hand and replace it with a slasher-film killer mimicking the killer from a fictional film series called Cinderhella, add in a truly silly amount of 90s references, throw in a ludicrous number of narrative swerves, then serve it all up with a visual flair reminiscent of Scott Pilgrim Vs The World, and you end up with this better-than-expected-and-bat****-crazy-to-boot film. Best thing I've found through random Netflix browsing in months, and well worth a watch. Almost as good as Cabin In The Woods, which is high praise in my book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Queen of Versailles on US netflix is really good. But apparently a lot of it was editing. But again a rich socialite doesnt like being poor.

There is a great app for using US netflix/hulu on google chrome. I sure google will tell you

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If youre wondering why your posts were deleted, we'd like to request everyone read the OP before posting, thanks.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Gave Life of Pi a watch on the Canadian flix lastnight. Thought it was decent enough, though the preachy nonsense of the first act was awful. Once the film got going I enjoyed it though. Visuals were amazing too, must have been impressive on the big screen.

Strange thing happened in that the aspect ratio changed for a few minutes during a certain sequence (
    the flying fish bit
    ). Why would that have happened anyone know? Not that it looked like the film was in it's proper aspect ratio in the first place mind :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The aspect ratio change was an intentional trick for 3D. It give the fish extra space to jump off the screen into a black abyss. It was actually quite a neat if distracting idea. Of all the 3D films I've seen, it was concurrently the most convincing argument for and against the technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

I saw Life of Pi in the cinema and it was amazing in 3D, definitely one the better 3D films I've seen. I'm not sure if I could watch it again tho after seeing it on the big screen.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The aspect ratio change was an intentional trick for 3D. It give the fish extra space to jump off the screen into a black abyss. It was actually quite a neat if distracting idea. Of all the 3D films I've seen, it was concurrently the most convincing argument for and against the technology.

I did wonder if it was something like that, as I noticed the fish's tail was coming outside the borders. Thought they would have changed it for the 2D presentation though.
    I saw Life of Pi in the cinema and it was amazing in 3D, definitely one the better 3D films I've seen. I'm not sure if I could watch it again tho after seeing it on the big screen.

Yeah I kind of regret not getting around to seeing it now.

Michael Haneke's most recent masterpiece Amour has been added to Irish 'flix. Should be an absolute no brainer if you haven't seen it in all its devastating intensity and intimacy. A master class in pacing, acting, direction... Everything really.

On the other end of the quality spectrum, The Tall Man is on there too. It's from the director of Martyrs, but don't let the prestige trick you. It's an absolute abomination of a film, but well worth a watch to see what happens when ambition and talent are put to such radically misjudged ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Guys,

Looking for a good SCI-FI for tonight in US Netflix - any recommendations ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Guys,

Looking for a good SCI-FI for tonight in US Netflix - any recommendations ?

Do you want thought-provoking/high-concept sci-fi or more action-oriented sci-fi?

For high-concept stuff, you could do worse than check out Primer, Antiviral, or Timecrimes (subtitled).

For something a bit more action oriented, you could try Phase 7 (subtitled) or Night Watch (subtitled). There's also The Divide (oddly enough available on Neftlix UK but not Netflix US).

On another note, I recently caught V/H/S and was pleasantly impressed. I've frequently found horror anthologies to be wildly inconsistent in terms of quality, and had read several reviews that suggested this was a pretty poor effort, but overall I thought it was pretty good, though it does take a while to get going. The framing device is well-handled, and the stories themselves are well-executed (though I suspect budget CGI was hidden by the relatively low quality justified by the whole VHS angle). If I had to pick a favourite, I'd be torn between Second Honeymoon (for a couple of exceptionally creepy scenes) and Tuesday the 17th for how it approached a subgenre that is frequently stale -
    I particularly liked the use of camera distortion to indicate the killer's presence, as well as the inability to record its physical appearance
    . In saying that, I thought all the stories were pretty good and had their merits. I look forward to seeing V/H/S 2.

Fysh wrote: »
    Do you want thought-provoking/high-concept sci-fi or more action-oriented sci-fi?

For high-concept stuff, you could do worse than check out Primer, Antiviral, or Timecrimes (subtitled).

For something a bit more action oriented, you could try Phase 7 (subtitled) or Night Watch (subtitled). There's also The Divide (oddly enough available on Neftlix UK but not Netflix US).

Don't bother with the Divide as sadly it's the butchered theatrical cut which pales in comparison to the excellent directors cut.

If you want something bat shit insane crazy check out the rather brilliant Detention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Don't bother with the Divide as sadly it's the butchered theatrical cut which pales in comparison to the excellent directors cut.

If you want something bat shit insane crazy check out the rather brilliant Detention.
    On another note, I recently caught V/H/S and was pleasantly impressed. I've frequently found horror anthologies to be wildly inconsistent in terms of quality, and had read several reviews that suggested this was a pretty poor effort, but overall I thought it was pretty good, though it does take a while to get going. The framing device is well-handled, and the stories themselves are well-executed (though I suspect budget CGI was hidden by the relatively low quality justified by the whole VHS angle). If I had to pick a favourite, I'd be torn between Second Honeymoon (for a couple of exceptionally creepy scenes) and Tuesday the 17th for how it approached a subgenre that is frequently stale -
    I particularly liked the use of camera distortion to indicate the killer's presence, as well as the inability to record its physical appearance
    . In saying that, I thought all the stories were pretty good and had their merits. I look forward to seeing V/H/S 2.

Cheers lads I will give that VHS a try and see what its like.

Cheers lads I will give that VHS a try and see what its like.

Check out the ABC's of Death too when you get a chance. 26 short films from 26 directors dealing with death. Some of them are terrible (F is for Fart) some of them are good (Q is for Quack) and some of them are downright brilliant (D is for Dogfight). It's quite the mixed bunch but it's well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

V/H/S 2 is probably even better, especially for Gareth Evans' bonkers segment 'Safe Haven' about an Idonesian Cult.

Visually stunning.

It's hard to believe that V/H/S 2 has yet to secure distribution over here. It's gotten to the point where many of those involved in making the film are suggesting that people simply acquire it through other channels.

VHS suffers from the same issue pretty much every anthology film until the end of time will suffer from - the varying quality, with one or two dud segments (or even ones just not up to the same level as others) tainting the experience. That said, I was also confused by the absolute vitriol it seemed to attract in some quarters. I had a lot of fun, and really it was only the lakeside short that I considered a more or less complete failure (although was a tad disappointed by Ti West's offering). The final segment is an absolute masterclass in low-budget filmmaking though - the imagination of the effects work shames big budget offerings. Fascinated to see what the Radio Silence gang do next.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

V/H/S was pretty interesting, has some nicely creepy scenes. The found footage genre kinda needs to go away but when it's done well it can work, Chronicle was another good one even if it has some really contrived reasons for people to be recording everything. I watched Grave Encounters 2 the other night as well, the first had its moments, but the second is ridiculous, the premise being that the first, which was a supposed "real" tv show was actually a movie, and a group of kids go to the place it was shot and wind up in the same predicament.

I watched Detention the other night, it was awesome, although completely bananas :)

I saw The Divide at a sci-fi festival a while back, but I don't know which version - what was in the Director's Cut that wasn't in the original theatrical release?

I watched Detention the other night, it was awesome, although completely bananas :)

I saw The Divide at a sci-fi festival a while back, but I don't know which version - what was in the Director's Cut that wasn't in the original theatrical release?

There's a good bit more character development and the violence is more visceral. There's also a second sex/rape scene and some of the films more hard hitting moments are made more so by the lack of score. The lack of music during the sex scene makes it even more harrowing and really demonstrates just how effective silence can be.

There's a detailed comparison here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Addicted to Archer at the moment. It's just brilliant

• Advertisement

Spotted Good Morning Vietnam on the Irish flix there last night I'm pretty sure that's a new addition. Robin Williams at his best

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement