Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Irish Rail Ticket Checkers

Options
  • 19-02-2008 11:35pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Was coming home tonight to Louisa Bridge and there was ticket checkers at all the exits to the station.

Never seen it before and I've been getting the train there for the last year. Is this gona be a new thing? I think its a good thing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

They have been around a while, did castleknock and coolmine before. They do random checks ie. today they could be doing louisa bridge tomorrow they could be doing castleknock or coolmine or even louisa bridge again. They pick and choose the stations which I think is a good idea a bit like a bus inspector popping up on any route at any time, that way its easier to catch people out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

thomasj wrote: »
    They have been around a while, did castleknock and coolmine before. They do random checks ie. today they could be doing louisa bridge tomorrow they could be doing castleknock or coolmine or even louisa bridge again. They pick and choose the stations which I think is a good idea a bit like a bus inspector popping up on any route at any time, that way its easier to catch people out.

If that was the case I would expect to see them more than once a year

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

Id say there from the revenue protection unit part of IE who check tickets to make sure everyone has a valid ticket. They spent a week in Carlow last year doing it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

fitzyshea wrote: »
    Id say there from the revenue protection unit part of IE who check tickets to make sure everyone has a valid ticket. They spent a week in Carlow last year doing it.

A one week blitz isnt gona be much use after the one weeks blitz.

I've a yearly ticket and havent once been stopped at Lousia Bridge to validate it

No one there tonight

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

There were several warnings at Sallins this morning that tickets would be checked at Heuston. However, once we arrived there (after 2 no show trains and a 3rd late one), there were no ticket checkers in sight - perhaps they were too afraid to confront people left standing in the cold for 35 minutes or more because I at least was going to ask for a refund for the crappy service IR provide on this line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

They were at Heuston this morning checking tickets off the Limerick train.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,243 ✭✭✭✭Victor

kearnsr wrote: »
    A one week blitz isnt gona be much use after the one weeks blitz.
    It does however establish a baseline for what the correct number of ticket sales should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

I have seen these checkers in Mullingar on a regular basis. I think there is 2 based at the station and they seem to go up and down the whole time to diffrent staions. I seen them fining some guy last year they jumped on the train at Maynooth and checked the train the poor lad got a fine and they got of at Mullingar. What I would like to know if you get on the train at a sation like Broombridge which does not have at staion or the staion was closed when you boarded the train what would they say do they still issue a fine. Its the first time I seen anybody geeting fined normally the regular inspectors just issue you a ticket.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

There were several warnings at Sallins this morning that tickets would be checked at Heuston. However, once we arrived there (after 2 no show trains and a 3rd late one), there were no ticket checkers in sight - perhaps they were too afraid to confront people left standing in the cold for 35 minutes or more because I at least was going to ask for a refund for the crappy service IR provide on this line.

That's strange - while its been quite a while since I travelled into Hueston, I don't recall an occassion (at any time of the day or night) when my ticket has not been checked either by a ticket checker or exit valiadator at Connolly, Pearse, Hueston, or Tara Street. As far as I am aware the exit gates at Pearse are permanently manned.

Actual ticket checking on trains is the quite opposite and I think it is years since I saw a ticket checker on the Maynooth line. Then again, passengers have trouble even getting onto trains on the line so ticket checkers might find it impossible...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,243 ✭✭✭✭Victor

jjbrien wrote: »
    I have seen these checkers in Mullingar on a regular basis. I think there is 2 based at the station and they seem to go up and down the whole time to diffrent staions. I seen them fining some guy last year they jumped on the train at Maynooth and checked the train the poor lad got a fine and they got of at Mullingar. What I would like to know if you get on the train at a sation like Broombridge which does not have at staion or the staion was closed when you boarded the train what would they say do they still issue a fine. Its the first time I seen anybody geeting fined normally the regular inspectors just issue you a ticket.
    They might check immediately after Broombridge and again after Leixlip / Maynooth. They will know what stations are open or not.

Advertisement