Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

70% Strength, 100% Quality. No probs?

• 18-05-2015 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭

Signal on my HDR 1000S is reading 70% strength but full on for quality. How do strength issues show up on the TV? Just show signal or not?

I take it 70% is not a problem? Used to be higher from what I recall.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,112 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes 70% would be the norm, won't get much better than that in Ireland, should be perfect in all weather conditions with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭homer911

There is no industry standard for what determines 70% or 100% - every mannfacturer seems to have their own standard. I have two boxes on the same dish from different manfacturers reporting different stats, but both work fine. The only real way to tell is by the reception on some of the more obscure channels - someone in the business could explain the technicalities of it..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I'm assuming that if there was a problem with the strength the signal would just drop (rather than the picture going fuzzy) ?

As in it's a digital signal (1 or 0) correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

mrcheez wrote: »
    Signal on my HDR 1000S is reading 70% strength but full on for quality. How do strength issues show up on the TV? Just show signal or not?

I take it 70% is not a problem? Used to be higher from what I recall.

This is my understanding of it.

Strength % is the level the receiver sees from the dish (LNB) - as in the signal levels generated by the LNB.

This generally isn't as important as the Quality % level. I've a long cable run where the signal strength is around 20-30% but the quality is 60%.

Quality % is the amount of noise & signal that the receiver is able to distinguish between. As the % drops that implies either a longer cable run or a mis-aligned dish. At a certain % point, the signal cannot be error corrected and so picture breakup occurs.

Ideally quality levels should be over 60-70% to give rain fade margins. If you get a quality level of 40% with no picture breakup in clear weather, it will most likely become un-watchable if it rains. As others have said different boxes give different reported levels.

Advertisement