Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Acting Commissioner refuses to criticise Garda numbers.

• 10-07-2014 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

http://www.thejournal.ie/commissioner-pac-crime-figures-1563498-Jul2014/

It seems the acting commissioner has decided to put politics before the good of the force. Very disappointing. The new rosters are just a band-aid to double up on resources at certain times and the high visibility push is just for show. Anyone working in the job knows how stretched resources are for real work. Sure it's great to have a few extra yellow jackets on the street for everyone to see but when it comes to investigating and prosecuting crimes and road traffic accidents members are completely overwhelmed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Clearly she is aware that the resources are just not there,The fact she is unwilling to state this is concerning.
    Looks like things will continue to get worse so.

• She won't get the job full time if she starts criticising. Things look great when two units are overlapping and it plugs the gap but outside those times it's a disaster.

• Also, I'm looking forward to see how much of a subvention we'll need from Finance in a couple of months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

While initially I was against a non Garda Officer getting the Commissioners job it is statements like that which has caused me to change my mind. While I would hope that it is an Irish person I certainly hope that it is some one who will tell the Government what it needs to be told not what it wants to be told.
    For a Commissioner to say yes we can do the job with 2500 less Garda personnel, a big drop in civilians allocated to the Grda and a fleet of vehicles with majority in excess of 100000 km on the clock is a joke and just shows her up to be a political hack

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

What I find amusing is the politicians surprise that speed detections by GoSafe only covers 30% of the contract annually.

Isn't the main aim of the initiative is to reduce speed related collisions therefore making itself defunct?

• Advertisement

• Santa Cruz wrote: »
    While initially I was against a non Garda Officer getting the Commissioners job it is statements like that which has caused me to change my mind. While I would hope that it is an Irish person I certainly hope that it is some one who will tell the Government what it needs to be told not what it wants to be told.
    For a Commissioner to say yes we can do the job with 2500 less Garda personnel, a big drop in civilians allocated to the Grda and a fleet of vehicles with majority in excess of 100000 km on the clock is a joke and just shows her up to be a political hack

Don't think for one minute that an outsider will be any different unless the power to appoint the commissioner is taken away from government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

http://www.thejournal.ie/gardai-haddington-road-1563997-Jul2014/

getting worse and worse.. how they'll pay for new vehicles and recruits i'll never know.. how far away is the breaking point?

• Hmm, I'm looking at the language used here and thinking unless the AGC came around throwing hot tea and waving placards into the "politician"'s faces, they'd think she was doing a bad job.

Lots of baseless inferences, and while I agree she needs to advertise the need for more Gardai, calling her sh*te for trying to be balanced is internet commenter BS.

Is it a case of (verbally) "you have to beat -them- with a baseball bat or if you don't, you are -one of them- and -get beaten- with a baseball bat, you sc*mbag one of them"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Hmm, I'm looking at the language used here and thinking unless the AGC came around throwing hot tea and waving placards into the "politician"'s faces, they'd think she was doing a bad job.

Lots of baseless inferences, and while I agree she needs to advertise the need for more Gardai, calling her sh*te for trying to be balanced is internet commenter BS.

Is it a case of (verbally) "you have to beat -them- with a baseball bat or if you don't, you are -one of them- and -get beaten- with a baseball bat, you sc*mbag one of them"?

What?

• Hmm, I'm looking at the language used here and thinking unless the AGC came around throwing hot tea and waving placards into the "politician"'s faces, they'd think she was doing a bad job.

Did anyone say she was doing a bad job? I said she won't tell it like it is as she wants the top job full time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement