Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

***Motors Chat Thread*** Round 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

dgt wrote: »

Around here somewhere? I was stuck behind a very slow Astra and there was a silver 02 MN Audi A4 behind me with fogs on, iirc

That'd be about right. Initial thoughts, who's the tw@t overtaking like a scalded rat, on a continuous white line. Then I saw it was a blue Bravo van.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

That'd be about right. Initial thoughts, who's the tw@t overtaking like a scalded rat, on a continuous white line. Then I saw it was a blue Bravo van.

Sounds like me alright, in rainy conditions.... But on broken lines, just before the continuous line uphill :) iirc, the Audi then flew past going uphill on the continuous line!

I'm far from perfect though and generally don't do that unless the person infront is really, really getting to me :mad:

Sounds like me alright, in rainy conditions.... But on broken lines, just before the continuous line uphill :) iirc, the Audi then flew past going uphill on the continuous line!

I'm far from perfect though and generally don't do that unless the person infront is really, really getting to me :mad:

Ah it's far from a driving nazi, or tall equine person I am. Sad and all as I am, twas nice to see a fellow boardsie on the road.

Ah it's far from a driving nazi, or tall equine person I am. Sad and all as I am, twas nice to see a fellow boardsie on the road.

That van is too damned quick for me at times anyway...

If only I'd known, I'd have waved :)

Although, I can't remember what you were in... :o

That van is too damned quick for me at times anyway...

If only I'd known, I'd have waved :)

Although, I can't remember what you were in... :o

Driving a bland mobile.....silver Octavia. Only stand out features are HID's and DRL's mounted beside the fogs.

• Advertisement

Driving a bland mobile.....silver Octavia. Only stand out features are HID's and DRL's mounted beside the fogs.

I was thinking I did see a silver car but couldn't remember what :o

Alas, I shall keep an eye out :)

Do you be out that way much?

I was thinking I did see a silver car but couldn't remember what :o

Alas, I shall keep an eye out :)

Do you be out that way much?

Lately, to quote Johnny Cash, I've been everywhere man. First time down that road in a long time. Out covering one of the other sales reps areas for a while, so will be down that way more often.

Lately, to quote Johnny Cash, I've been everywhere man. First time down that road in a long time. Out covering one of the other sales reps areas for a while, so will be down that way more often.

You might see more of me so as I'm from out that direction :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The OH went out the other day to get bulbs for my car, and went and splashed out on those "brilliant" bulbs?

Anyway the difference in my lights is unreal. Like driving a normal car with normal lights.

The GTVs are known for having rubbish headlights.

Stheno wrote: »
    The OH went out the other day to get bulbs for my car, and went and splashed out on those "brilliant" bulbs?.............

Fair play to him :)
    The internet can be your friend for them though, half the shop price on Ebay for the likes of likes of Nightbreakers etc :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

RoverJames wrote: »
    Fair play to him :)
    The internet can be your friend for them though, half the shop price on Ebay for the likes of likes of Nightbreakers etc :)

Thank you! Will take a look and stock up so I'm not caught short again!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Knew I forgot to post about something.

Earlier on went into athlone around 5:30, on the athlone bypass and spot a red corsa coming the wrong way down the slip ramp onto the dual carraigeway. I assume they copped what they did, but instead of stopping they kept moving towards the bypass at about 3-5mph.

Then coming back, some idiot blonde in a 07 pug 407 decided to stop dead in the middle of the main road (N6) from 100km/h, throw on the 4 way flashers, and let a queue of cars turn off onto a side road across the lane.

There's really some absolute tits on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Am I missing something...why so cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

Am I missing something...why so cheap?

Misprint id guess

Do the cops in Dublin have an unmarked silver 5 or 7 series? Driving in this morning I got stuck behind one of those convoys of the cops and army with security vans, and there was a 5 or 7 series (more likely a five) behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Do the cops in Dublin have an unmarked silver 5 or 7 series? Driving in this morning I got stuck behind one of those convoys of the cops and army with security vans, and there was a 5 or 7 series (more likely a five) behind them.

That wasn't whitehall/drumcondra by any chance, was it?

Antares wrote: »
    That wasn't whitehall/drumcondra by any chance, was it?

It was, I got stuck between the army jeep and the beemer, the beemer then flew past once they got to a bus lane.

It was, I got stuck between the army jeep and the beemer, the beemer then flew past once they got to a bus lane.

Saw that alrighty ! I was following you!!!! :D

No idea about the Beemer...... Would they be taking in BMW's when they can't even afford to replace Mondeos?

No idea about the Beemer...... Would they be taking in BMW's when they can't even afford to replace Mondeos?

Stalker! :D

I think they've a couple of Beemers, never seen one before though. It was debadged too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

In my experience of BMW corporate, it wouldn't surprise me if they could put together a more competitive package than ford or Toyota.

It would be more a public image thing I'd imagine that would prevent Bmw from ever supplying cars on a wide scale to AGS.

I have seen a few 3 series knocking about, not recently mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

While a 730 is crazy to run as a cab, I was looking at an x6 running as one at the weekend, surely there is no money to be made there.

OSI wrote: »
    Saw an '07 BMW 730LD Taxi this morning. Crazy car to be using for a taxi.

Theres an 11 reg Audi A6 as a taxi around navan for the past few months now... Someones makin the money!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

In my experience of BMW corporate, it wouldn't surprise me if they could put together a more competitive package than ford or Toyota.

It would be more a public image thing I'd imagine that would prevent Bmw from ever supplying cars on a wide scale to AGS.

Thread today on BMW-Drivers.net that backs up everything you just said!

I remember hearing that Volvo approached the Gardai a few years back and offered the custom built UK Police Model to the Gardai at a VERY reasonable price but we refused as it was anti competitive. :confused:

Why they don't / didn't uniform their fleet is a mystery to me.

Surely you'd save money buying cars and parts in bulk than you would having to pick up a for a ford and b for a toyota and then c for a Volvo....

Makes no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

It's been going around the emergency services forums too about BMW offering the best tender but for PR reason the guards went with Ford/Toyota.

There is a marked up 530d on trial with Traffic around Dublin at the moment but not for long.

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h474/hoch11/Army%20Montero/Jul112flood177.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I remember hearing that Volvo approached the Gardai a few years back and offered the custom built UK Police Model to the Gardai at a VERY reasonable price but we refused as it was anti competitive. :confused:

Why they don't / didn't uniform their fleet is a mystery to me.

Surely you'd save money buying cars and parts in bulk than you would having to pick up a for a ford and b for a toyota and then c for a Volvo....

Makes no sense.
    All the xc70's that the armed units have are police specials afaik...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Doesn't matter how much or little they pay for them - can you imagine the outrage (Joe) if our boys in blue were traveling around in Arctic White 520d's? :eek::eek::eek:

All the xc70's that the armed units have are police specials afaik...

They are but if Volvo are offering them at a good rate then why not have all operational vehicles as Police Spec and take your Yaris / Fiesta for Community Policing sh1te....

The Garda Volvo's are a fine bus though. I'd say those boys are very protective over them.

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Doesn't matter how much or little they pay for them - can you imagine the outrage (Joe) if our boys in blue were traveling around in Arctic White 520d's? :eek::eek::eek:

If they were using vehicles that were costing me as a Tax Payer less overall then I couldn't care if they were spinning around in an AM DB9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Dunno. I would prefer Garda squads to have a decent spec cars even if that would cost more for tax payer.
    I would sleep way better knowing if in emergency situation a Garda squad is rushing to my location in something like Volvo v70 T5 and not in mondeo 1.6.

There are things where you can save money and there are things where you can't. Emergency services and police should not be touched or cut in that way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement