Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MENTIONED ON EUROSPORT: Séan Kelly, Tourmalet centenary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

tourmalet2009.jpg

That's quite cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Fantastic photos here

Great photo's...the only thing that hasn't changed over the years is the mountain itself! Still tough, very tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Jawgap wrote: »
    At the risk of sounding daft - are there any gears on that bike????

Not a daft question, There is a piece in cycle sport this month where another guy does the same thing. There is just 2 gears i think a single front chain ring and a 2 on the back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

Post of the year!

"Vous êtes des assassins! Oui, des assassins!" roared Octave Lapize as he went over in 1910. And then the man died as a fighter pilot - some life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

AFAIK Kelly will ride some or all of the Tour de Munster this year. Last year Ligget did it with him.
    Cant wait. I am going to get him to sign that photo of him on the Tourmalet hopefully.

Then i will bring home the pain (or is that what he'll do).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Bob_Latchford

great stuff lads. Kelly mentioning Irish lads on the way up just then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

i wounder will sean do his tour of waterford on the bike he won the paris-Roubaix or Liege-bastogne Liege wearing Kas kit .

that would be cool .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

jwshooter wrote: »
    i wounder will sean do his tour of waterford on the bike he won the paris-Roubaix or Liege-bastogne Liege wearing Kas kit .

that would be cool .
    He generally does it in his An Post-Sean Kelly team kit on a team bike (Principia.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Lumen wrote: »
    Coming down wouldn't be much fun either. Are those rod brakes? :eek:

Looks like it. Rear is a standard cable-caliper but the fron is a rod brake pushing a shoe onto the tyre tread! I wonder how effective those are?...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Looks like it. Rear is a standard cable-caliper but the fron is a rod brake pushing a shoe onto the tyre tread! I wonder how effective those are?...
    ah you'd be grand with a bit of back pedalling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

ah you'd be grand with a bit of back pedalling.

Harmon was saying it was a singlespeed not fixed ...

... also mentioned that back in the day nobody rode fixed, they had specially made freewheels that weren't commonly available ... did not know that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

niceonetom wrote: »
    More pics anywhere? I want to see him on the bike.

I reckon Kelly would have fitted right in amongst the hard men of the first tours.

velos620jpg-3dad-cd78e.jpg

champs620jpged1b-37f82.jpg

Lookin Hard in 1983 !

sean_kelly_roubaix_1983.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

DominoDub wrote: »
    velos620jpg-3dad-cd78e.jpg

Looks like he's really going for it there.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Here's a quick video Kelly's famous Time Trial in the 1985 Nissan Classic. It's tagged wrong on youtube as 1984 Milan San Remo. Here's an article on it for anyone who doesn't know the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Here's a quick video Kelly's famous Time Trial in the 1985 Nissan Classic. It's tagged wrong on youtube as 1984 Milan San Remo. Here's an article on it for anyone who doesn't know the story.
    That speed still stands as the fastest ever on a road bike with drop bars AFAIK.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

"It's a long way to Tipperary but it's a lot quicker with Kelly on the saddle" one Irish legend comments on another, classic.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

blorg wrote: »
    That speed still stands as the fastest ever on a road bike with drop bars AFAIK.

Harmon brought up another speed record that Kelly recorded - can't rem the name of the descent but he got Kelly talking about it. Apparently it is a very fast descent and riders regularly hit 100Kmph on it .
    "They took a lot of risks on the way down that day" according to Kelly - he hit 124 Kmph !! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Limestone1 wrote: »
    Harmon brought up another speed record that Kelly recorded - can't rem the name of the descent but he got Kelly talking about it. Apparently it is a very fast descent and riders regularly hit 100Kmph on it .
    "They took a lot of risks on the way down that day" according to Kelly - he hit 124 Kmph !! :eek:

the col de marie blanque is one which fits that, and they went over it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

yep it was the col de marie blanque they were discussing today......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

The 124kph was on the Peyresourde.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Tutschel

Limestone1 wrote: »

Heard that too! Thought I was going good with a top speed of 115km/h down the Kühtai in Tirol a few years ago. Man, was I eating my heart out when I heard my childhood idol clocked 124km/h! New target set: 125km/h or more! Think the Peyresourde can be expecting a visit from me in the future!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Yup:

37838_449996020933_763205933_6222741_7774424_n.jpg

Fine erection he has too! :D

niceonetom wrote: »
    The 124kph was on the Peyresourde.

Just found confirmation of what I heard on Eurosport yesterday: Sean Kelly achieved his fastest speed, 124 km/h in the decent from Joux Plane to Morzine (link to article)
    I'm sure he wasn't far off that speed down the Peyresourde though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pierredieterle

Hi,

I first met Sean in 1977, in Besançon, where lived my uncle Jean de Gribaldy. Sean is a faithful friend, unpretentious.

See my modest website about Jean de Gribaldy

http://www.jeandegribaldy.com

Best from France.

I first met Sean in 1977, in Besançon, where lived my uncle Jean de Gribaldy. Sean is a faithful friend, unpretentious.

See my modest website about Jean de Gribaldy

http://www.jeandegribaldy.com

Great site! Thanks for posting the link. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pierredieterle

Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Great site pierredieterle merci beaucoup, and some great photos. We owe Jean De Gribaldi a big thank you for introducing Mr Kelly to the world of professional cycling.
    Haven't seen this photo before. Brilliant. His first Classic win at Lombardy 1993, cometh the man! LeMond and Moser look worried:)

Is this photo, where he is seen beating his arch rival Vanderarden, the stage in Tour where both were disqualified for fighting as they sprinted for the line. I think it was into Pau or Bordeaux?
    132380.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

A big thank you to the Crunch! Some terrific photos from your partner whom I met at Bohermeen this year. Love the shots of Miguel. I missed this post first time around. Hope the season went well for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Even brought a bicycle pump just in case !!! Great thread folks. Must say if it weren't for Sean kelly i would never have sat on a bike, growing up and following his exploits was how i first got started.
    I remember reading an article by Robert millar once in cycle sport i think, anyway he relayed a story of how one day he was reluctant to go on a training run in an appauling day near his home in Scotland.
    He thought for a second and knew deep down that Sean kelly would be out doing his stuff no matter what the weather was so off Mr millar went.
    Just shows us mere mortals how highly regarded Sean kelly was by his fellow pro's.

Advertisement