Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Happy Christmas.

• 21-12-2007 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,956 ✭✭✭

Happy Christmas and Happy XMas to one and all.

The Greek for the word "Christ" is "Χριστος" and since "X" became a vernacular abbreviation for the word "Christ" we have the word "Xmas" for "Christmas".

Not sure, but I think the word "Christmas", the timing of it and celebration of it is something the reformed Churches inherited from the RC Church.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Happy Christmas and Happy XMas to one and all.

The Greek for the word "Christ" is "Χριστος" and since "X" became a vernacular abbreviation for the word "Christ" we have the word "Xmas" for "Christmas".

Not sure, but I think the word "Christmas", the timing of it and celebration of it is something the reformed Churches inherited from the RC Church.
    The origions of Christmas was mentioned recently in a previous thread, however it is now commonly accepted by most denomiations as the time of year to reflect on the birth of our saviour.

The word Xmas has been hyjacked by our godless commercial and secular society, its even more sad is that many professed Christians foolishly write “X-MAS”, not realizing that this is a wicked message in itself. The message is clearly, "we don’t want Jesus." "we are ashamed of the name of Jesus" The Bible says: “And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge" (Romans 1:28). Now we see “X-MAS” everywhere. The name of Jesus, or "Christ," should never be obliterated from anything.

Happy Christmas to all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

rtdh wrote:
    hyjacked [...] godless [...] commercial [...] secular [...] sad [...] wicked [...] ashamed [...] obliterated [...] Happy Christmas to all.
    Jeez, dude, lighten up a bit -- it's christmas!

Well, regardless of everybody's religion or lack of it, I hope everybody spends the holidays doing whatever it is they enjoy doing most :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

secular society

Yes, we secularists are all about the Christmas :D

Was actually reading about the controversy in America about stores such as Wal-mart and Best Buy refusing to use the term "Christmas" in their advertisements around the "holidays" as this time is known in the secular USA.

A lot of Christian groups are up in arms about this, such as the American Family Association who have threatened to boycott stores that do not use the term "Christmas" in their holiday advertisements.

Which is so mind boggling ironic its hard to take seriously

I fully support Bill O'Reily's campaign to keep Christmas a commercial holiday :D

http://mediamatters.org/items/200511210003

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I would rather it be called the "the Holiday Season" than the "Xmas" season," or "Christmas season" by the corporates at least they would be honest in themselves about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Happy Christmas one and all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

And from me, have a great festive season one and all,and thanks for all the fun. I feel like the luckiest mod on Boards.
    asia

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Happy Christmas everyone and a peaceful new year!

Looking forward to lots of debates, discussions and laughs in 2008.

God bless,
    Noel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

Merry Christmas to all.

Nice to see you back TR. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Happy Midwinter to all!

sneezing,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

Someone came, and carried a message that seemed to upset the kind of people who can do with being upset.

So, indeed, Merry Christmas to everyone. And maybe even a little Gaudete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

Happy Christmas folks.

Ah so what if its in Dec it gives people some happiness in the dreary dark winter months.

Someone has set my Crimbo tree lights to crazy flashing disco mode, I cant stop looking at it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Schuhart wrote: »
    And maybe even a little Gaudete.
    Offtopic, I know, but that Gaudete deserves better!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

robindch wrote: »
    Offtopic, I know, but that Gaudete deserves better!
    Excellent clip, Thanks

rtdh...not one peep out of you about Devil Music:p:) Its Christmas.
    A very nice piece indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Nollag Shona. Hope everyone enjoys themselves and keeps well over the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Have a great Christmas everyone!

It's a great opportunity to celebrate the Incarnation of Christ - no matter what time of year. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

I have enjoyed this year's Christmas Eve, cleaning, cooking, entertaining and now...it's time to take out the presents!

Best wishes to everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭SubjectSean

Happy Christmas, God bless all here!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Happy Christmas to all. Have a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Merry Christmas lads. Hope you got loads of presents :). Hope everyone is having a good time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Happy Holidays Everyone :)(oh no he didn't!)

Peace be on Earth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Fallen Seraph

Indeed, a belated merry christmas!

Advertisement