Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain at Argos Ireland

• 11-09-2007 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Argos Ireland have the Canon EF 28-135 IS USM Lens on their website (www.argos.ie) for €289.99.

This is a total bargain, the cheapest I saw it on cam-ireland website was €449. Don't know if it's a mistake or not but I bought one last week from Argos in Tallaght and that's what I paid for it.

It's a great lens, quite light, and the Image Stabilisation makes a great difference when using slower shutter speeds. Very useful lens for all sensor sizes.

But don't tell Argos they made a mistake! :eek:

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Phaictan wrote:
    Argos Ireland have the Canon EF 28-135 IS USM Lens on their website (www.argos.ie) for €289.99.

This is a total bargain, the cheapest I saw it on cam-ireland website was €449. Don't know if it's a mistake or not but I bought one last week from Argos in Tallaght and that's what I paid for it.

It's a great lens, quite light, and the Image Stabilisation makes a great difference when using slower shutter speeds. Very useful lens for all sensor sizes.

But don't tell Argos they made a mistake! :eek:

Cheers

That's been around a while but my info is that Argos have copped it

Try check and reserve on argos.ie and you'll find it's disabled or it was yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Phaictan

That's been around a while but my info is that Argos have copped it

Try check and reserve on argos.ie and you'll find it's disabled or it was yesterday

They haven't copped it. As I said I have one in my hands as I type (very good trick if you can do it) and I only paid €290 for it. I can scan the receipt if you'd like. Seriously I don't think they have copped.

The check & reserve section of the website goes offline very often. That price is also in the latest printed catalog too.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rob_T

Their website is a bit banjaxed as instead of using the argos.ie url all the links seem to have argosie.co.uk so it think its a website issue rather than Argos pulling the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Rob_T wrote:
    Their website is a bit banjaxed as instead of using the argos.ie url all the links seem to have argosie.co.uk so it think its a website issue rather than Argos pulling the offer.
    went with a friend again to Liffey Valley this afternoon. 4 in stock according to the little terminal in the store.When he tried to pay for it was told the stock can't be released for sale as there is a pricing issue. Argos employee revealed their are many errors in the catalogue, mainly in relation to electronics and since Monday none of these are available for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭10-10-20

They can't sell electronic/electrical goods from the web as they still haven't figured out the WEEE pricing... eh... 2 years later!

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ArgosStaticPageSecondLevel?storeId=30001&includeName=ContactUs.htm#33

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 gpmaguir

this offer is still good, bought my lens today in blanchardstown for €289 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seaner

hey i'm really a newbie so if i'm asking a really dumb question don't kill me but...........
    does this lens fit camera's other than Canon. LIke would it fit a DSC-H9?
    Or can you put lenses on digital camera??
    Don't bite if i'm way off here...............:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Seaner,

It will only fit on Canon SLR & DSLR cameras that have interchangeable lenses I'm afraid. I'm guessing (from a little Googling) that you DSC-H9 is a Sony Cybershot? It's still a good deal if you plan on getting a Canon DLSR soon though!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭crookesa

Pardon my ignorance too lads, but what is the benefit of using this over the standard lens.
    I've started a photography course but havn't really touched on lens and equipment yet just the basis of how aperture and shutter speeds work. Little bit of information overload at the moment. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭zag

For example, the standard lens on the EOS 400D has a focal length of 18-55mm. The lens that everyone is talking about ere is a 28mm-135mm lens. It has a longer focal length, allowing you to zoom in closer to your subject. Also, this particular lens has 'image stabilisation' which counter-acts the effect of your hands shaking on the camera, and leads to sharper images. Where are you doing you course?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭crookesa

zag wrote: »
    For example, the standard lens on the EOS 400D has a focal length of 18-55mm. The lens that everyone is talking about ere is a 28mm-135mm lens. It has a longer focal length, allowing you to zoom in closer to your subject. Also, this particular lens has 'image stabilisation' which counter-acts the effect of your hands shaking on the camera, and leads to sharper images. Where are you doing you course?

I'm slowing getting to understand all the talk about focal length's etc.
    Have started the city & guilds level 2 photography in WIT.
    Quite intense to be honest and it's over 30 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

woo hoo...another Blaa... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

I just picked up my lens from argos in stephens green :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭ro1798

i got mine in liffey valley on monday....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 41 APMom

Newbie here and after seeing this post I've ordered one, will be instore tomorrow so it remains to be seen whether I'll get it at that price. I'm getting the 400d from Calumet Photo in the north, £411 body and lens or 361 body only, that's the best price I could come up with. They'll post for £12.50 but I might make a Christmas shopping trip to Belfast next week anyway. That lens is £299.99 on their website so Argos do seem to have it at a great price. Here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

ro1798 wrote: »
    i got mine in liffey valley on monday....:D

I got mine there too and already sold for €350 :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I got a text from Argos today, saying this lens I had on reserve had arrived into Stephen's Green today - yay.

This lens is on her way out I think. Too narrow on a 1.6X body and those who can afford 1D and 5D might buy a 17-40 or 16-35 or 24-105 or 24-70 instead,not to mention some fast Sigmas.

It's a well built lens for film camera and should cost no more than €280.(like in the US and Asia)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Don't agree. Its a nice walk around lens with good cover and to be honest its not bad quality. If you want wider then the 10-22 (or the Sigma) is the only man.

I have a 350 (soon to be 40D) with the 10-22,24-70,28-135 and the 70-700L and I find I have all I need.
    Canonfan wrote: »
    This lens is on her way out I think. Too narrow on a 1.6X body and those who can afford 1D and 5D might buy a 17-40 or 16-35 or 24-105 or 24-70 instead,not to mention some fast Sigmas.

It's a well built lens for film camera and should cost no more than €280.(like in the US and Asia)

70-700L???:D Haven't seen that one before.

Anyway, my point was if you have a 1.6X body then the EFs 17-85mm IS might be a better choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

What? You don't have the 70-700L? its a great lens and F1.4 all the way. :)
    Canonfan wrote: »
    70-700L???:D Haven't seen that one before.

Anyway, my point was if you have a 1.6X body then the EFs 17-85mm IS might be a better choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭PaulieC

elderlemon wrote: »
    I have a 350 (soon to be 40D) with the 10-22,24-70,28-135 and the 70-700L and I find I have all I need.

the 28-135 from this list seems superfluous as you're covered all the way (with the exception of 2mm between 22 & 24) from 10 to 200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭templeathea

Someone should tell Argos that the focal length of a lens is actually the recommended retail price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭kcphoto

Just bought one in new Argos store in Mahon pt Cork and they had 6 in stock at the time. €289.99

Technikdirekt website lists it at about €490, as do the recent photo mags.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 CptBeefheart

Picked mine up in liffey valley today. Still 289.99. My EOS3 will be so happy with her christmas present. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Just bumping this up.
    The new Argos catalogue has this lens at 589.99 euro with a different catalogue no. 058/3101
    but it you check online the old catalogue no. 058/1536 is still available in some stores
    could be the last chance to get it at 289 in an irish store

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

I presume this is the lens?
    Great price alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭f1_jb

Just browsing the new Argos Catalogue and they have the Canon 40D 17mm-85mm kit for €1499.99 which beats any shop that I know off and also if you looking for a compact they have the Canon G9 for €439.49, this is a great price for a super compact which I bought because it shoot RAW and it's handy on nights out instead of hauling my 30D around. I only bought a G9 just after christmas and it cost me €579 witha 2gb card but I still feel ripped off now. I just wonder if its a pricing mistake ? we will know if there always out of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Hehe good thing I got herself to buy it for me for xmas :p great deal for it going by prices in other shops!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

Someone tipped them off. The site is unavailable, while they update the catalogue.

Advertisement