Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Greencard info...

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 gary01

Has anyone received their letter yet? I received mine this morning (although I'm not at home until the weekend to read it).

I just have a question! I heard that they send out about 90,000 and then narrow that down to 55,000 and Ireland gets about 150, Is this true? If so, how do they narrow it down? I know they say a certain amount of the applicants won't follow through with their application but for the rest, is it a case that they choose people who do well in the interview or are educated or first come first server etc.

Having received the letter from them is there a good chance I'll get the greencard?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Congratulations, Gary. How long had you been waiting to win or is this your first application?

I applied four years ago and have done so every year after. I'm not surprised that I haven't won again this year but I can afford to wait.

Reckon you'll be making the move soon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 gary01

Congratulations, Gary. How long had you been waiting to win or is this your first application?

I applied four years ago and have done so every year after. I'm not surprised that I haven't won again this year but I can afford to wait.

Thanks :) I first applied for it in 1999 and have been applying most years ever since! So I was shocked when I heard I got the letter this morning!
    Reckon you'll be making the move soon?
    If the interview goes okay and I get the GC then I'm ready to move straight away! So fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭thenobody

Got home yesterday and pleaseantly surprised to find my notification letter for the DV 2009 lottery.

I wonder what criteria they put on it at the interviews.
    As Gary says, is it education, work experience, income etc or just random?

Degree and Masters and working in big American company. Must be some benefit for me.

What are the requirements once you get the Greencard?
    Do you have spend six months of the first year there or something?

Congrats Gary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I just got my green card due to my husband being a US citizen (well, technically I got the visa- I will get my green card automatically when we move to the US in a couple of months). It was a quick and painless process, took 6 weeks. If anyone has questions about obtaining a green card that way, feel free to ask me here or PM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 nyc baby

Hi
    Can anyone tell me when you can apply for the intake of the DV.
    Also would anyone know what myself and my husbands status would be, as our daughter was born in the US, and is a citizen, do we still go through the usual greencard route.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated

Application starts around Nov/Dec

As far as i know just cos your child in a US citizen it wont make any difference to you's. You would have to be living in the US for greater than 5 years consistantly before can apply and for this to happen i suppose greencard is the easiest option. Or visa via a job for over 5 years.
    Child can only sponsor the parents to go to US after 21 years old.
    So the DV lottery seems the best way and also is just near impossible to get though.

Thanks for the reply thennobody

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

Not trying to take anything away from boards, but I wanted to let all who need it about a great site that has guided me through my visa to greencard experience.

its www.visajourney.com

It has guides, advice and timelines on all visas for the US.
    Hope it helps you as much as it has helped me

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The DV-2010 lottery is now open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

You can check the status of your entry online now.
    http://www.dvlottery.state.gov/ESC/

I didn't get it. :(

This may seem like a stupid question but I never got a confirmation number when I applied should I have recieved an email or would it have been on the screen and I just didn't take note of it???

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

nyc baby wrote: »
    This may seem like a stupid question but I never got a confirmation number when I applied should I have recieved an email or would it have been on the screen and I just didn't take note of it???

I copied and pasted mine into an email after I entered, they didn't send me an email and I don't think you can get this confirmation number now:
    Thank you for your entry for the 2010 Diversity Visa Lottery.
    Please either print this page or make a record of the confirmation number before closing this window. You will not be able to retrieve this number after you close this window.

Ahhh thats obviously what happened not to worry thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Bobon

Didn't get it either. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭CathalMc

The odds of winning have halved in the last 2 years. So you need to keep doing the green card lottery for around 60 years to get 50% odds on winning it. Lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jamestedrum

lads i got my visa for 2010 and i didnt need any pay sites to help me it's so easy to do just go to the official site and fill in the information online, Its no longer done by paper its all done online. The next one for year 2011 starts online in about 25 days I can find out the full information abou the opening dates and the web sites http/ if anybody needs it

best of luck
    T

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

http://www.dvlottery.state.gov/

Opened: Oct. 2
    Closes: Nov. 30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Sarah212

I have been selected for the DV2010 greencard lottery. I have my consular interview in the Embassy in November. The problem is that I overstayed a holiday visa about 4 years ago. I overstayed by 1 year and 3 months. When I filled in the information on the forms for the last step of the application I admitted my overstay and that I had been working illegally. I have still been selected to go forward for an interview, but I am not sure whether they will just give me a 10 year ban instead of a greencard. Also, in total it costs about $1,000 to go for the interview, and I dont want to waste my money. Has anyone actually been granted a greencard after previously working illegally in the US?

It will also cost you 350+ for the medical. Which if the interview is in November you should have done around now.
    I believe you shouldnt bother with it. You will waste the money.
    You only got the interview because your case number came up - not after a review of your application content. That is done by the embassy at the interview. You will have to make sure you meet all the other requirements too - job offer or affadavit of support or history of money in account over the poverty line. If you have everything I think the illegal thing will be impossible to get by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Bobon

Well lads and ladies. Today is the closing day for entering the greencard lottery.

Best of luck to you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rosh1

Hello I have my interview for the Diversity interview 2010 next week. I was wondering if any one else has done the interview and how it went and what questions they asked.

Also my leaving cert results; I only have the provisional results sheet (small sheet got on the day of the results). I have ransacked my parents house looking for the official certificate but cannot find it. Will the provisional results sheet be good enough for them. I also have an honours degree so the leaving cert results should be enough.
    I would appreciate any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

2011 results are out now!Anyone have any luck.I didnt :(

Without trying to drag this off topic, does anyone know if you have previously been on a 2 year J1 visa are you able to apply for another visa or does the previous make any difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 drubort

Hi I got a question regarding applying for DV2012.

Im currently living in London (originally from Dublin). As my address here could change is it better to do use my parents address in Ireland as contact information? Im pretty sure this shouldnt be an issue but would be great to double check.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Hi guys,

First time applying for the lottery. Thought about it for a few years but didn't because of other responsibilities here, I realise I should still have applied.

Nevertheless - if you win the lottery and manage to get an interview for a greencard, what are you required to have in order to actually get the greencard?

Is it necessary to have a job offer letter or an affidavitt of support/sponsorship from someone you know in the US? Am I right in thinking you need to have around $15k saved up (125% above the poverty line guidelines)? Do you need a degree?

I've been working in a senior position in a US multinational in Ireland here for three years, do you think that would make any difference, I'd say - no?

Let's say I know someone willing to offer me a job and sponsor/state they can financially support me - and put me up until I find my feet, will that help? Sorry for all the questions, I've done loads of reading but have a few niggly bits to sort out.

funkyflea wrote: »
    Hi guys,

First time applying for the lottery. Thought about it for a few years but didn't because of other responsibilities here, I realise I should still have applied.

Nevertheless - if you win the lottery and manage to get an interview for a greencard, what are you required to have in order to actually get the greencard?

Is it necessary to have a job offer letter or an affidavitt of support/sponsorship from someone you know in the US? Am I right in thinking you need to have around $15k saved up (125% above the poverty line guidelines)? Do you need a degree?

You need either of the three - more gives better chances. i recommend Get the money together (and showing a history of it) cos the affidavit is very intrusive on the person and they need to have a lot of money to show they can support you. Has to be US citizen or Greencard person.
    If it was me i would question any job letter that someone can in with so that would be tricky unless its in a well know company and skilled.
    Need a leaving cert but will have better chances with a degree as then you would have a better chance at a better job and no be a burden.
    I've been working in a senior position in a US multinational in Ireland here for three years, do you think that would make any difference, I'd say - no?

Wont make any difference.
    Let's say I know someone willing to offer me a job and sponsor/state they can financially support me - and put me up until I find my feet, will that help? Sorry for all the questions, I've done loads of reading but have a few niggly bits to sort out.

See answer above but why the hell are you reading up on all of this?? There is no point unless you are picked and that wont be a chance til may next year given that you apply in october. Just apply forget about it. It will probably never happen. Deal with it then. Jasus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Geraldine1

Hello
    Got interview date next month, havent done the medical exam yet but have booked for it, problem is emigration lawyers have said its "extremely unlikely" that i will suceed, reason being i included my spouse and child in the forms i sent to KCC of which when i initially appled was single, do you think this will automatically disqualify me? will it be a waste of money for medical exam and visa to go for it despite the two significant mistakes?do you pay visa fees before or after interview?

Geraldine1 wrote: »
    Hello
    Got interview date next month, havent done the medical exam yet but have booked for it, problem is emigration lawyers have said its "extremely unlikely" that i will suceed, reason being i included my spouse and child in the forms i sent to KCC of which when i initially appled was single, do you think this will automatically disqualify me? will it be a waste of money for medical exam and visa to go for it despite the two significant mistakes?do you pay visa fees before or after interview?

That is rubbish. Why are you bothering with lawyers???
    I was single when I applied. I was single when I sent the forms to KCC. I got married after sending the forms. I then sent a form in for my wife when I got the marriage cert and got her on my application (before the interview date). That is all fine to do and common.
    You are in a easier situation. Only one person gets selected from the lottery. All their family can then be on the application and all can get the greencard (depending on meeting requirements and enough money). Those lawyers sound useless.
    Ring the embassy and ask them too.
    You are cutting it tight for the medical cos results can take over a week to come back. You will need to get one for each person.
    I assume you have all the police certs arranged.
    What are the two mistakes? I don't see any.
    You pay the money before the interview and don't get it back if don't get it.
    It will probably cost you near €2.5k

But you should really think about meeting all the requirements. Make sure you both meet the education requirements and if no US job offer or affidavit of support from someone in the US then you will need a load of money in your bank account (and show a history of it there). You will need the amount of 125% above poverty line for a 3 person family.
    It's more likely to be successful if have an established career and degrees, good prospects etc.
    If you don't have over the amount of money required I would seriously probably not do the interview as it would then mostly likely be a waste of a lot of money.
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2 imo93

Hi Guys thinking of going over in 2014 just applying for my green card now but Im 19 and looking for girls my age to go over! my friends are all boring so if anyones interested message me on this and I will give you my email or facebook!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

imo93 wrote: »
    Hi Guys thinking of going over in 2014 just applying for my green card now but Im 19 and looking for girls my age to go over! my friends are all boring so if anyones interested message me on this and I will give you my email or facebook!

On what basis are you getting a greencard?
    You may want to pop over to the USA forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=917

Advertisement