Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Movies on TV

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Magic (1978), Anthony Hopkins is possessed by a ventriloquist dummy. Horror Channel Saturday at 10.40 PM.

Its Only a Movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

One of my All-Time Favourites is on RTE1 tonight @00:40
    Pay It Forward :)

Hope y'all Enjoy
    kerry4sam

Angels & Demons will be on RTE1 @ 21:30 tonight :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The Iron Giant is on film 4 at 1:20 this afternoon. Beautiful film, perfect for the horrible day it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

The Iron Giant is on film 4 at 1:20 this afternoon. Beautiful film, perfect for the horrible day it is.

LOVE that film, and going against a few old reviews criticising the ending ,
    I love the glimmer of positive it ends on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

LOVE that film, and going against a few old reviews criticising the ending ,
    I love the glimmer of positive it ends on.

I love it too. I'm holding out hope for the special edition Blu Ray eventually getting the go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Just saw an ad for Warrior on Friday at 9 on TV3. Excellent film worth watching for Nick Nolte's performance alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,335 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Just saw an ad for Warrior on Friday at 9 on TV3. Excellent film worth watching for Nick Nolte's performance alone.

Tom Hardy and Joel Edgerton are also great in it

Waterloo 1970 BBC2 1.20 pm Sunday

If you have any soft spot of historical epics watch this - even in its somewhat truncated form the spectacle is immense.

Worth reading up on the numbers. One of the most expensive films ever made with 16,000 Soviet troops making up the armies of the climatic battle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterloo_(1970_film)

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly on RTE#1 now.

Used always watch this with my Late Loving Dad who was a Huge Clint Eastwood fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

kerry4sam wrote: »
    The Good, The Bad & The Ugly on RTE#1 now.

Used always watch this with my Late Loving Dad who was a Huge Clint Eastwood fan.
    Presented with a cropped aspect ratio unfortunately. Which always puts me off my viewing, because of all the screwy composition due to the ajustment and not adhering to what the director intended.

In fact, it would be helpful if we could find out if the upcoming movie is gonna be framed correctly, in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Two great films on tonight

The field is on rte 2 @ 22:25

Cool Hand Luke is on tg4 @ 22:50

The field is on rte 2 @ 22:25

Cool Hand Luke is on tg4 @ 22:50

^^^ Both are indeed excellent, but also on now on RTE#2 is Invictus another favourite of mine based on the book Playing the Enemy, Nelson Mandela and the Game That Made a Nation.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

'Blackfish' is on BBC4 at 9 tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

'Blackfish' is on BBC4 at 9 tonight.

Didn't watch it last night but that documentary made me so angry! Disgusting what Sea World does! Scum of the earth!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭DenMan

Presented with a cropped aspect ratio unfortunately. Which always puts me off my viewing, because of all the screwy composition due to the ajustment and not adhering to what the director intended.

In fact, it would be helpful if we could find out if the upcoming movie is gonna be framed correctly, in this thread.

Really bugs me now when a trashy channel like ITV or the Irish ones show a 16:9 or even a 4:3 ratio (!) print of a 2.37:1 (or wider) film. Like you I rarely bother with such screenings.

Really bugs me now when a trashy channel like ITV or the Irish ones show a 16:9 or even a 4:3 ratio (!) print of a 2.37:1 (or wider) film. Like you I rarely bother with such screenings.
    Or in the case of Mulholland Falls a few weeks back where it was presented in its original 1:85:1 ratio...but the copy in question was intended for 4:3 screens (you'd think RTE would upgrade, wouldn't they?), so it only resulted in a distorted, stretched image.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

That's the least of the problems with ITV showing a film. It's hard to believe in this day and age that they still censor films on that channel. Two recent examples were Ghostbusters and, even more unforgivably Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. Believe it or not, the scene they excised from the latter was the one where Steve Martin traipses across the runway to get back to the terminal to harangue the Car Rental agent. Incredible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Tucker and Dale vs Evil is on Film 4 at 1105pm. A really funny, unheralded gem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

In the name of the father, RTE2 @ 21:25

Lawless, Channel 4 @ 22:00

Every now and again ITV4 screen a film that really says "BBC Two" - The Life and Death of
    Colonel Blimp in one of them. About 2 pm this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

It's a wonderful life on Film4 @ 2.50. A bone fide classic.

I can't quite funnights74, but that is way too early!!!!!

I can't edit either but obviously I meant to say 'quote'

stupid boards app

• Registered Users Posts: 84,335 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Talented Mr Ripley is on at 9.30pm TG4 tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Aren't the BOND FILMS on ITV a great laugh? I could write books about
    the cuts they've suffered.

A BRITISH INSTITUTION. A terrible indictment.

Aren't the BOND FILMS on ITV a great laugh? I could write books about
    the cuts they've suffered.

A BRITISH INSTITUTION. A terrible indictment.
    Oh, do tell us more. I want to know just how ridiculous they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

The best Christmas movie ever made, Scrooged, is on Film Four at 17:20

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mark Cousin's excellent documentary / essay A Story of Children and Film is on Film Four after midnight tonight. Worth setting your recorder for!

Advertisement