Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Question on UK REG Plates

• 29-08-2011 7:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Berry Nice

Hi Folks,

My Neighbors bought a house beside me and moved from the UK two years ago and still have not changed their UK plates on two cars,
    They still have a house in the UK which they travel back to a few time a year,Just curious is this why they do not have to change their plates thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

if Ireland is their maijn residence they DO have to re-reg the car. They are pulling a stroke by the sound of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Suprab1

Because they have sence. Why pay high tax & insurance when you don't have to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

If they have a UK residence and go back every now and then, they might not have to.
    And good luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Can open, worms everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

Berry Nice wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

My Neighbors bought a house beside me and moved from the UK two years ago and still have not changed their UK plates on two cars,
    They still have a house in the UK which they travel back to a few time a year,Just curious is this why they do not have to change their plates thanks

They're supposed to change their plate if theire official permanent residence is here... you could report them if you were an annoying busybody and wanted to have a permanent feud with your neighbours. Better off to leave it to customs and revenue, and the gardai to deal with it if they're really cheating the system, it's their job to do it, not yours.

I've imported vehicles from the uk and i re register here, but i had one annoying litte pr*ck of a blow-in neighbour who'd moved in up the road about 2 months earlier come down to my house and tell me that he was going to report me for "using a foreign registered car" and pointed at a pickup truck which was in the corner of the yard and had no wheels, bonnet, lights or engine, but it did have a 1980s uk reg... however it was fairly obvious that it wasn't exactly going anywhere, It was also not very easily visible from the road and about 50-60 feet back so he could only have made out the UK plate if he was right at my fence at the one good vantage point staring in. He got run out of it fairly quickly. He's also annoyed a few local farmers and other people because of similar behaviour like reporting a farmer for not having his tractor taxed because said farmer wouldn't move cattle out of the field behind this guy's house... he's now got a few enemies for himself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Report them. If they are above board there'll be no problem. We should all be paying our taxes - yes, even farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Halfshaft

Hi Folks,

It's none of your business what they do with there cars, why would you want to know that?

Have you not got enough things going on in your own life to be concerned with?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Halfshaft

Report them. If they are above board there'll be no problem. We should all be paying our taxes - yes, even farmers.

Report them? I'd say your a lovely person to live beside....

We should all be paying or taxes you say? Your not a T.D. by any chance are you? Nobody minds paying taxes, but when the sort of legal daylight robbery that is going on by the government here at the moment to bail out the devolepers and banks is sickening when you open your wage packet every week and have to try and pay the bills, thats if your lucky enough to have a job......

Fair play to these people, wish i also was lucky enough to have a UK address....

I know a person that has a Cypriot driving licence as he has a residence there also, should i report him?

Common sence really goes out the window with some people......

• There is no point in people getting on a high horse about avoiding VRT in this situation as even if they do have to register it they wont have to pay the vrt as they moved here with the car. An English accent and an English license will get you past the vast majority if not all check points so its not surprising they haven't bothered registering it even if they should have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

even farmers.

He should, the farmer i mentioned. And he never actually got any punishment over it as it couldn't be proved. He's also approaching 80 and actually uses that particular tractor on the road for about 2 and half minutes maximum, maybe once every month or two, to turn out the main gate of the farm, drive for approximately 45 seconds to a minute, turn onto a private farm lane then repeats the process on the way back. The person who reported him saw the tractor in the field and noticed that it had a registration number on it, didn't see a disc on it and reported him out of spite. As it happens the tractor isn't taxed, and probably hasn't been since the late 80s when he got it. But as a result of actions like that towards an elderly farmer, against me (which was a false accusation), other local residents and against the local pub and other busybody type things he's done, there are many people in the locality who this fool has made into enemies with his holier than thou attitude. He seems to still want to live in the area but it's certainly a lot less friendly to him now after he went around annoying everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

_Conrad_ wrote: »
    He should, the farmer i mentioned. And he never actually got any punishment over it as it couldn't be proved. He's also approaching 80 and actually uses that particular tractor on the road for about 2 and half minutes maximum, maybe once every month or two, to turn out the main gate of the farm, drive for approximately 45 seconds to a minute, turn onto a private farm lane then repeats the process on the way back. The person who reported him saw the tractor in the field and noticed that it had a registration number on it, didn't see a disc on it and reported him out of spite. As it happens the tractor isn't taxed, and probably hasn't been since the late 80s when he got it. But as a result of actions like that towards an elderly farmer, against me (which was a false accusation), other local residents and against the local pub and other busybody type things he's done, there are many people in the locality who this fool has made into enemies with his holier than thou attitude. He seems to still want to live in the area but it's certainly a lot less friendly to him now after he went around annoying everyone.

Absolutely.
    But this is the motors forum, where people never speed, pay all their taxes, have all their paperwork in order, have never done anything wrong and will shop anyone to the plod who they suspect of farting sideways!;)
    Stable round the back.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Halfshaft wrote: »

Report them? I'd say your a lovely person to live beside....

We should all be paying or taxes you say? Your not a T.D. by any chance are you? Nobody minds paying taxes, but when the sort of legal daylight robbery that is going on by the government here at the moment to bail out the devolepers and banks is sickening when you open your wage packet every week and have to try and pay the bills, thats if your lucky enough to have a job......

Fair play to these people, wish i also was lucky enough to have a UK address....

I know a person that has a Cypriot driving licence as he has a residence there also, should i report him?

Common sence really goes out the window with some people......

So we should only pay the taxes we approve of?

If they should be vrt'ing it, and aren't, then guess who's letter box the bill the bill is coming to when the next budget comes around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Hiace.

If the UK is his proper permanent residence then I'd imagine he's allowed to do this. Either way if this guy is doing you no harm, live and let live, it's not your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Why pay high tax & insurance when you don't have to.

Whatever about tax, the lower insurance in this case is probably achieved by not giving the insurance company relevant information about where the car spends its time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Berry Nice

Halfshaft wrote: »
    It's none of your business what they do with there cars, why would you want to know that?

It's none of your business what they do with there cars :Yes you are dead right it is none of my business what my neighbors do.
    why would you want to know that?
    Why I would want to know is absolutely none of your business.
    From the looks of it you are the one with little going on, so much so you're making smart comments about something you've clearly read too much into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Berry Nice

A can of worms indeed,
    I just wanted to know for my own information do people who move from the uk have to change to Irish reg plates and that’s it no hidden agenda,
    I was using my neighbors as an example,
    I am not bothered about vrt/taxes/reporting people,

• Berry Nice wrote: »
    A can of worms indeed,
    I just wanted to know for my own information do people who move from the uk have to change to Irish reg plates and that’s it no hidden agenda,
    I was using my neighbors as an example,
    I am not bothered about vrt/taxes/reporting people,

To answer your question, if they move here permanently and are resident here then they are required to change over to an Irish plate after 6 months of becoming permanently resident but they will not have to pay any vrt.

However there are a few scenarios where it is possible for them to keep the car on uk plates depending on how much time they spend in Ireland etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I believe Berry Nice's question has been answered as much as can be expected.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement