Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Right to privacy when committing a sex act?

Options
  • 03-10-2010 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭

Time for a strange one!

Does someone have the right to privacy when committing a sex act? For example, the following is a post from boards.ie:

Had a funny one once in the toilets of a well known nightclub in Templebar (I was a bouncer there) - I was in the cubicle getting a blow-job from some ol' slapper - I called the lads over the radio and gave them all a free look - now that was hilarious at the time, but I couldn't shoot my load with an audience and broke my heart laughing, poor yoke never knew what the joke was about.

To me this is quite sickening and degrading, but am I right in thinking because the act took place in a public place the girl has no rights?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Time for a strange one!

Does someone have the right to privacy when committing a sex act? For example, the following is a post from boards.ie:

Had a funny one once in the toilets of a well known nightclub in Templebar (I was a bouncer there) - I was in the cubicle getting a blow-job from some ol' slapper - I called the lads over the radio and gave them all a free look - now that was hilarious at the time, but I couldn't shoot my load with an audience and broke my heart laughing, poor yoke never knew what the joke was about.

To me this is quite sickening and degrading, but am I right in thinking because the act took place in a public place the girl has no rights?

That's correct AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

That is truly a warm and beautiful story......:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Strange that the OP is called Mr. Loverman himself! ;)

But if you're a girl or guy having sex in a public place you shouldnt expect any rights to privacy. Isnt that common sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Considering you can get fined for urinating in public, I'd say same rules apply

No, you have no right to privacy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

delancey42 wrote: »
    That is truly a warm and beautiful story......:D

+1 Truly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭doing

Well do you have a right to privacy using a public toilet for it's intended use then? Could they broadcast what people are doing in the public toilets on the big screen in Croke Park road to entertain the audience at half time?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

What about your right not to be filmed and broadcasted performing a sex act without your consent?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Sardonicat wrote: »
    What about your right not to be filmed and broadcasted performing a sex act without your consent?

No such right, anything you do in a public place is public.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

so you are saying that it would be legal for them to show the toilets on the big screens in croke park or the AVIVA ?

as far as I understand it - if you are using it for going to the toilet then its expected that you get privacy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

If you are in a public space, your right to privacy is modified by an expectation that actions by way which are of a public character may be brought to others attention, either by CCTV or otherwise.

However, urinating in a public toilet is not an act of a public character.

Actually, neither is having sex in the cubicle of a public toilet.

Shagging on the village green of course is.

In the example given by the OP, I consider the girl involved to have a reasonable expectation of her privacy right not being violated by the beneficiary under the contract even if they came to no explicit agreement as to the terms on which third parties could derive a benefit from their transaction. This was breached by the beneficiary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

What about in this poor fellas situation??

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056047223

He never really got any legal help on the matter...

so are pictures you take in private that are intended for private use subject to any privacy rights? can the person who stole his pictures be subject to prosecution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Reloc8 wrote: »
    If you are in a public space, your right to privacy is modified by an expectation that actions by way which are of a public character may be brought to others attention, either by CCTV or otherwise.

However, urinating in a public toilet is not an act of a public character.

Actually, neither is having sex in the cubicle of a public toilet.

Shagging on the village green of course is.

In the example given by the OP, I consider the girl involved to have a reasonable expectation of her privacy right not being violated by the beneficiary under the contract even if they came to no explicit agreement as to the terms on which third parties could derive a benefit from their transaction. This was breached by the beneficiary.

I didn't think a contract involving sex was valid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Thanks for the replies everyone.
    Reloc8 wrote: »

I would hope this would be the case. I would imagine what she experienced (if she knew what happened) could be a lot more traumatic than say someone pickpocketing her.

Btw, the person who wrote that post has obviously seen this thread because they've gone and deleted what they wrote. But good old google cache to the rescue: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:lfLqLk5iFL4J:www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php%3Ft%3D2055233712+http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php%3Ft%3D2055233712&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk (Scroll down to post 8 by Makikomi).

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

That's simply not correct. Lots of law to the contrary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

That's simply not correct. Lots of law to the contrary.

Any laws for this particular situation?

k_mac wrote: »
    I didn't think a contract involving sex was valid.

A contract to perform an illegal act is indeed void.

I was having a bit of a legalistic giggle in lamping a load of contract speak on a fact scenario involving a dirtbird bouncer roaring at his mates while he got a blow-job in the jacks.

Nah.

It comes down, more or less, to whether you have a legitimate/reasonable expectation of privacy.

That's why you see people's face's blurred on telly when they are shown walking down the road and what not.

Or do they just look like that :eek:

Advertisement