Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Criminal record?

Options
  • 03-10-2010 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I'm due in court on tuesday after being summonsed for not having a tv license. I won't go into the details of what happened - I reckon I have a chance of getting off due to the circumstances of what happened (I moved out of the address in question after getting a job offer several days after the inspector called, and had been living in another city for 9 months by the time the summons arrived at my old address). But if I do get fined, I'll suck it up and move on with life.

The only thing I'm really worried about is getting some sort of stain on my record - how could a conviction like this affect me if I ever need to get a visa to live in another country, or have to undergo Garda vetting for any reason?

I did try contacting a couple of solicitors, but they advised me that I'd be as well off handling such a minor matter by myself.

I'm also sh*tting a brick at the prospect of standing up in front of a judge - but that's another story :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Look up "Crime of Moral turpitude" on wikipedia, that's the test the U.S. uses when assessing convictions.

I don't think possession of an unlicenced TV does not constitute a crime of moral turpitude but of course only an expert in U.S. immigration law can give a conclusive answer.

It carries only a fine and not imprisonment so I don't think the Australians care. I think most foreign immigration authorities would be bemused that possession of an unlicensed television is a crime in Ireland.

If its really causing you concern, get a licence, write to An Post indicating this, indicating your problem with visas, and ask if they would be amenable to having it struck out. They might want you to pay their costs (a couple of hundred euro).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Yes explianing the TV Licence here is very trying...

However If you did not live at the address at the time of the inspection I dont see the problem. Unless the TV was unlicensed for weeks prior during the time you lived there.

Time to get your knee pads on Son and go see an post.

Advertisement