Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Sky + box.

Options
  • 06-09-2004 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Anyone know if the new Sky+ box with bigger hard drive is on the market yet? Ihave heard Sky were planning to introduce them.Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

I think they are due out next month in the UK. Not sure when here. However you would be mad to get one. It is relatively simple to swap the disk and it is a fraction of the price that Sky will be charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

ShaneOC wrote:
    It is relatively simple to swap the disk and it is a fraction of the price that Sky will be charging.

As far as I know the actual retaill price has not yet been officially announced. Plus of course your box would still be under full warranty if it came with a Sky fitted larger hard drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

True it has not officially been announced but it is believed that in the UK it will be £399 (almost €600).

That seems very high to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

ShaneOC wrote:
    True it has not officially been announced but it is believed that in the UK it will be £399 (almost €600).

That seems very high to me.
    what is it for the current sky+ boxes, €299 ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

Some people have upgraded their V1 & V2 boxes with 250GB hard disks which will give you more capacity the the new Sky + Boxes.

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=146256

It is hard to figure out from that thread how successful those upgrades are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

how many hours memory do you get with a standard Sky + box....?

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Dub13 wrote:
    how many hours memory do you get with a standard Sky + box....?
    about 20 hours I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

ElNino wrote:
    Some people have upgraded their V1 & V2 boxes with 250GB hard disks which will give you more capacity the the new Sky + Boxes.

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=146256

It is hard to figure out from that thread how successful those upgrades are.

I stuck in a 120gb disc (Hitachi deskstar from Maplin) ages ago - it's pretty easy. Unfortunately I got the 17 minute bug - for details see the digitalspy sky+ forum. SKY fixed this in the last software update in preparation for the new boxes. However according to the extensive tests carried out by the obsessives on digitalspy version 1 boxes (the have a black section in the middle of the front panel) still get the 17 min bug even with the new software. Version 2 boxes and the new amstrad ones are ok. In fact they've even tried a 250Gb disc (why you'd need a disc that big I don't know) with no problems.

Bigger capacity discs tend to generate more heat - the new software spins the disc down when the box is in standby presumably in an effort to counter this. Previously the disc was spinning 24/7.

Anyway I'll be putting the 120Gb disc back in when I've watched everything I recorded on the orginal disc.

Advertisement