Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Francis McManus 2013 RTE writing Competition

• 01-02-2014 2:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Anyone enter the Francis McManus 2013 RTE writing Competition?

How did you guys get on? First time i've entered a competition like this before I truly enjoyed it.

I don't expect to get shortlisted but I guess it's the taking part that counts :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sally365

Past winners were all in the first-person narrative mode. Why oh why did I do mine in third-person :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I entered this year too - first time and not first person either! Not a huge fan of first person narrative - it can work beautifully if of course you engage with the main character! Good luck to you both it's a good competition - I think - I have little experience of it but have heard some of the past broadcasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

I entered this year (again) and did go with a first person narrative this time. I had a few different angles but when read out loud, which is the point of a radio competition, the first person worked best.
    I don't have any expectation of being in the winners but I enjoy the challenge involved. It is a difficult competition because of the very strict word count but I think it forces discipline in keeping the story tight and you also have to avoid a lot of dialogue or it starts to sound more like a play than a story.
    One thing I don't like about it is the length of time before the winners are announced in early summer which means you can't publish the story or enter it for anything else until then.

I think you are right about writing in first person, it does work better for radio I think. I went for third person,it was a challenge with length but i think i managed it, i'm hoping mine stands out.

The long wait is a pain. With 1300+ stories it's a lot of reading to go through, from researching online it seems three professional writers read the 1300+ stories and then the main judges pick the winners from the top 25

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Entered it.

Where does the 1300 figure come from?

• Advertisement

Basing it on last years figures really, it was 1200+ last year. Im assuming it will be more.

Can I ask was your short story in First person?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

sally365 wrote: »
    Basing it on last years figures really, it was 1200+ last year. Im assuming it will be more.

Can I ask was your short story in First person?

First Person Past tense.

Conceived, written and edited in a few hours the night before the deadline :P

Lovely :), mine is set in the very early 1900's im hoping this makes mine stand out

Does anyone know when the shortlist is announced ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

sally365 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the shortlist is announced ?

Haven't a clue Sally but the radio series normally airs in June so I suppose those who were shortlisted would find out in May sometime?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply, no news is good news LOL. But not in this case

Advertisement