Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need job advice!!!!! please respond

Options
  • 05-05-2011 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

My wife

Started her job 3.5 years ago, on a full week pay. She is well liked by the customers etc... .and thier is about 4 other employees and some european season workers

Aound the first week of march 2010, My wife lost 5 hours out of 40. The very next week she lost another 10 hours. At this point no other staff lost any hours. My wife contined to work for 25 hours 5 days a week for 7 months untill the strain took hold, after constant request to her boss for 3 days a week a final breakdown was overcome by a show of remorse by her employer, who reluctantly placed her on a 3 day week.
    The situation improved when my wife recieved some JSA shortly after October 2010. With my wife on 3 day week pay her Employer hired a helper for the 2 days lunch hours of 11 - 3 Of the books.

Everything seemed to be going well until today when my Wife was confronted by her Employer and Supervisor, and told she would be placed on a 2 day week, because she is only 28 is still young with no kids and does not need the money and dont get upset about it...

I have just came home to find my wife in tears and very stressed :( that again she has been singled out for hour cuts from 24 - 16 and no loss of hours to the woman employed from 12 - 3 @2 days a week.:eek:

Does she have any rights, and will this affect her Job seekers allowance or what would you do:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I take it she didn't have a contract, if she did, she should approach her employer for clarification on why her hours have been cut.

If not she has still had a major change in her contract, but apart from suing there isn't much she can do. I would contact the Citizens Advice Bureau.

You could report the employer for avoiding tax on the new part timers. But this would not get your wives hours back.

You could ask your employer to write a letter to the Social Welfare detailing why you hours have been cut and whether they can see your hours increasing in the foreseeable future. This could force you employer to tell her what the plan is.

Could be time to look for a new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭reddevilfan

Thanks for the reply

She started in early october 2007 on trial (P.I.H) and on the 14th of January 2008 she was finally enrolled and given a full term contract...

Since then she has not signed any papers or seen another contract

Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Has she tried job-hunting?

Apart from that, try her union or citizens information.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭reddevilfan

that i may believe to be the next step, but she will hang on in hope of something

Advertisement