Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish law on parkour

• 18-09-2006 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭

ok i just was given a warning by the gardai for dashing a wall?!?

what is the law in ireland on parkour?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I would imagine it's more about where you're doing it than what you're doing (Provided you're not endangering others)...
    Although, you'll always have a Garda looking out for you. Gotta love a nanny state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭El_mariachi

he freaked over it though! it was a wall in a carpark?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i'd say the law is the same as skateboarding. it's not the act that's illegal, it's where you're doing it.

as an aside, i hope to god the kids in temple bar last weekend were not an example of irelands parkour scene. now my back/knees wont handle it, but i admire the guys who can do it (i've seen the film, trawled youtube etc.)... but what i saw in temple bar was just a bunch of kids jumping around....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

I think he might of just been looking out for your best interest, as crazy as that sounds with the irish gardai force but it could be true
    As far as I am aware there is no law against running up a wall but there is a law against running up someones property!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

get used to it, i doubt parkour is listed in the consititution.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭El_mariachi

i'd say the law is the same as skateboarding. it's not the act that's illegal, it's where you're doing it.

as an aside, i hope to god the kids in temple bar last weekend were not an example of irelands parkour scene. now my back/knees wont handle it, but i admire the guys who can do it (i've seen the film, trawled youtube etc.)... but what i saw in temple bar was just a bunch of kids jumping around....

whats the vid i am intreged to see them in action!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I'd say the Garda has nothing on you, except maybe disturbing the peace (unlikely if you're not screaming). I'd say they can do nothing as long as you're not on private property but its not the Garda's job to tell you to get off private property.

Just politely ask why you're being told to stop next time and your curious as to what is the legal basis. Say you're curious,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Peck

The trick is, is to get good at it at home first. then when you see the gaurds coming all you have to to is dash a couple of 6 foot walls.lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 EoinDM

Even if there's a new law, it's not gonna stop us. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Guards are idiots. Even if parkour was illegal I would do it just to piss them off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Hypnotoad

Guards are idiots. Even if parkour was illegal I would do it just to piss them off.

HardXcore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

Peck wrote:
    The trick is, is to get good at it at home first. then when you see the gaurds coming all you have to to is dash a couple of 6 foot walls.lol!

Surely they should make the guards learn it in templemore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

A bits of information that might be useful
    If you go onto someones land and fall off a cliff it was not the farmers fault for not putting up "warning cliffs are dangerous" signs or fences everywhere. Basically you cannot claim for risks you could reasonably expect when you entered someone elses property. So explanations of "we cannot let you in because you will sue us when you fall" do not hold much water.

This came up in the should farmers be allow access to walkers converstaion on the outdoor pursuits section. Speaking of which Free Running has to be seen as an outdoor pursuit and as these sorts of access issues show it has similar interests at heart.
    So if you are interested in free running like activities (climbing, slacklining, urban exploration or whatever) feel free to post in that section of the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭dan_y

give them a break. everybody's gotta start somewhere. I know you posted last year but it's on the front page and my sentiment stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Most gardai are blissfully ignorant of the actual laws they are meant to enforce, most are normal lads and just applying their own "common sense" laws. If they see a kid apparently endangering themselves they will feel they should say something. If you start argueing they can do you for public disorder,- that act is a sneaky one so they can lag you for almost anything. I definitely would not be getting up in the gardas face saying "What are you charging me for, there is no such law", trying to belittle him or slag him, just accept it and move on.

Of course they could do you for trespassing. They dont want it in some paper saying a kid injured themselves and some passerby saying a garda was there at the time and was doing nothing to stop these "crazy kids"

Advertisement