Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Using 2 pin plugs in Ireland ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Pocky

As the EU plugs have round pins and the British/Irish square once I would NOT force them in. Round and square is not the same :D

You could always cut of the EU plug and put a British on or use the adapter. The difference is that the longer middle pin on the British plug opens the other two holes in the socket for the pins. So forcing round one in will require "something" in the middle one to unlock which is VERY DANGEROUS!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭panacea

If you are setting up a tank make sure that you create a drip loop between the plug and the appliance for everything (Filters, Skimmer, Float switch, Lights).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

It's cheaper to just snip off the 2 pin plug and fit a BS1363 3 Pin Fused plug. Put a fuse of a suitable amperage in it for safety. For a fish tank a 3 Amp would be adequate.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

Pocky wrote: »
    As the EU plugs have round pins and the British/Irish square once I would NOT force them in. Round and square is not the same :D

You could always cut of the EU plug and put a British on or use the adapter. The difference is that the longer middle pin on the British plug opens the other two holes in the socket for the pins. So forcing round one in will require "something" in the middle one to unlock which is VERY DANGEROUS!!!

Couldn't you just do it on a multi-plug adapter that is plugged out? This is what I always do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Chnandler Bong

Barr wrote: »
    Hi All

I'm recently setting up a fish tank and all the equipment seems to have the the European 2 pin plugs.

I was wondering if there are any disadvantages over the 3 pin plugs in Ireland ?.

I was also wondering are they ok to use directly into the sockets are am I better off getting some kind of adapter like the one below

http://cgi.ebay.ie/EU-UK-2-3-Pin-Plug-Adapter-/200598193634?pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_PowerAdaptors_SM&hash=item2eb49585e2

Just buy an adapter, there only €6.

• Advertisement

You can damage an Irish socket by forcing a 2-pin Euro plug into it, I know because I did it once - it loosened the contacts inside an extension lead. Also, running a device this way means there's no fuse to protect it. All in all I wouldn't recommend it. Replace the plug with an IS-401/BS-1363 standard plug if you can, otherwise use a fused travel adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Just buy an adapter, there only €6.

A 3 pin plugtop is only €2 !!

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭Barr

panacea wrote: »
    If you are setting up a tank make sure that you create a drip loop between the plug and the appliance for everything (Filters, Skimmer, Float switch, Lights).

Hi Panacea - could you explain this further ?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Barr wrote: »
    Hi Panacea - could you explain this further ?
    7944_untitled_1.jpg

*taken from Fishforum.com

Advertisement