Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Panhard cars in Ireland

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Wow that is some transformation !

It looked like a gonner from the first photo ! You were a bave man to take that on !. It must be quite rare now , is it ?

Did you do all the bodywork yourself ? Were you able to huy new panels or where did you get the parts !

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

That first photo is only the start, much worse to come when it was lifted up. The only parts apart from mechanical that are similar to the PL17 saloon are the front and rear bonnets and they were obtained in France. The doors had to be completely rebuilt as they were in a very bad state and of course a complete new floor pan, but the biggest change was to be able to convert it to a RHD convertible making it the only one of its type in the world. Only about 400 all in LHD were built, and many were exported to the USA including Chassis No. 1, which was scrapped within the past two years. I have created a photo album in excess of 2500 pics of the restoration work, but I think its been worth the years of hassle to be able to see what now looks like a car once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭2cv

I've seen the car and i have to admit that it's an amazing transformation!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I'd love to see more photos !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭2cv

More photos? All 2500 of them?
    :-)
    Only messin'

I'd say the fact that there is such a detailed report of the restoration, it increased the value of the car...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭cxcully

That's fantastic.Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 veseylodge

The Panhard PL17 was built by John Caldwell Ltd. at Lucan Co. Dublin 1961/62.
    All the information is available in an excellent book: "Motor Assembly in Ireland" by Bob Montgomery,
    ISBN 978-1-902773-35-3.
    There is also information in "Panhard" The flat twin cars 1945-1967, VOLUME 2, By David Beare, ISBN 978-09547363-2-3.

Advertisement