Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[UK Article] Judge fines cyclist for using road

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,891 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Let's have another anti-cyclists rant thread!

Though seriously, his own fault for being a prick and causing a tailback by cycling in the middle of the road. I can understand not using the on-path cycle way but he should have kept left on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Push bikes are treated under law and the road traffic act to be a non moterised vechilce on the road and are ment to be afforded the same rights and lee way as any other vechile.

Cyclists don't HAVE to cycle in the gutter.

ever tried to make a right turn and to try and get into the right position to do so across two lanes of traffic ? in the rain ?

cycle paths should be used but many in this country are in fact a danger to cyclists and pedestrains :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,891 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I do cycle myself and yeah the on-path cycle ways are a joke and quite dangerous. Luckily enough, I don't think you're legally obliged to use them in this country although you are legally obliged to use some on-road cycle lanes. Cyclopath would know the exact details :)

As for trying to make a right turn, I've had to get off the bike and cross at a pedestrian crossing on many occasions in the city centre. Further out from the city centre, I try to keep left for most of the way, then when moving out to the middle of the road, I try to strike a balance between taking the opportunity when it's clear behind me and not leaving myself out in the middle for too long before making the turn. Otherwise I find I'm just waiting to be clipped by being dead centre in the road, or having a load of beeping drivers if I'm in the middle of the left lane.

Advertisement