Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VIII retrospective

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,041 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

FFVIII is really weird that way. It's loaded with poorly constructed pieces that somehow combine to create a really enjoyable game.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

FF VIII is great for seeing how broken you can make your characters. It's almost the opposite to every other FF game in that the way to make the game more challenging is to immediately grind for a few dozen levels without refining or junctioning magic.

Triple Triad is still the best mini-game in the FF series too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Controversial! I was more a fan of tetra master myself.

Triple triad became too easy once you got AA cards (and you refused to use the local rules)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

AHEM

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,774 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

animaX wrote: »
    Controversial! I was more a fan of tetra master myself.

Triple triad became too easy once you got AA cards (and you refused to use the local rules)

Even with the local rules like random I was usually able to win everytime. Winning a random card was the most head wrecking rule though especially if you were after the rare cards. I maxed out the game clock the last time I played getting all the rare cards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Has FF8 being released on psn?
    If so does any1 does the cost or download size?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,774 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

FFVIII has been available for ages.You are better off getting the US version from the US PSN since the PAL versions suffer from the usual PAL aspect ratio and slowdown effects.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    FFVIII has been available for ages.You are better off getting the US version from the US PSN since the PAL versions suffer from the usual PAL aspect ratio and slowdown effects.

Kool,will I have to make a US profile for that?
    Any idea how big the download is?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭evanSpiddal

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Kool,will I have to make a US profile for that?
    Any idea how big the download is?

Yeah, you'll have to create a separate account for the US games, and you'll have to buy US PSN vouchers as the US PSN won't accept Irish credit cards.

The game size is 1.8GB, so pretty big, but it was a game that came on 4 disc's. I got mine from the US PSN store, and it is much better than the PAL version I have to say

Just did it there,looking forward to playing it,I remember getting on release all those years ago

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Don't have time to read it right now, but it's always puzzled me how much ire people have for Squall. I don't think the series has ever had a more nuanced and carefully developed protagonist. I think people get too hung up on the teenage angst thing, as if the fact that he has insecurities about abandonment makes him a poorer character overall.

I think people have a problem with how god awful the character is written more than anything. You can do teenager and angst well, see the Persona series. FFVIII's characters and writing are really poor, FF hasn't really had the best anyway but it's particularly bad in this case.

He's no Ethan from Phantasy Star Universe... shudder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

I don't agree but if there's one problem I have with VIII's writing it's that all the other characters get sidelined so that they can spend more time working out Squall's arc. I don't remember much about Selphie's character except that you could see her knickers. Come to think of it that might have been the only point of her character.

She liked trains as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Probably because it was the first FF game, and first RPG, I ever played, it will always be my favourite of the series. Probably my favourite game ever too :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Yes! FFVIII is still to date my favourite game of all time. And yeah TT was incredibly addictive.

Advertisement